1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why don't we ever have a center on the floor?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by thedreamisover, Nov 27, 2002.

1. thedreamisover

At a time where a big man is a t a rare premium in the NBA the Rockets are deeper at that position than anyonelese in the league? Why than does Rudy choose to go against all established basketball logic and play most of the game without a true center on the court? Does five guys standing sround the 3point line really seem like a good idea to him?

2. HoRockets

HoRockets Member

Better question is how come Rudy has been playing EG at backup Center when you have two 7 footers named Cato and Collier on the bench. I prefer he use those guys then go with the EG and KT frontcourt lineup cause nothing good has ever come from that so far as I've seen.

3. JLB

JLB Member

Rudy go against all established basketball logic. Hopefully he along with the Rockets will be able to ruien the league one more time. :D

--
    This stims from Tolberts comments on the Rockets ruiening the league after winning two championships.

4. Deltar

Deltar Member

<i>Why than does Rudy choose to go against all established basketball logic and play most of the game without a true center on the court?</i>

Well, last I heard Jason was on the IR. With Yao getting in early foul trouble, we have no choice but to put Cato on the floor who is also foul trouble prone. Griffin seems to put up as much defense as Cato does, so I don't really see a loss there.

As for the camping around the 3pt line, I have no idea what is up with that. It seems that whenever EG is not involved in a play he just sort of wanders around the perimeter.

5. cujo

cujo Member

The whole team did bad, but Rudy should have played Yao the whole fourth quarter, and bench Mooch.

6. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

So you want Yao to play the 2 guard spot? :eek: :p

7. Chip123456

Chip123456 Member

No, dumbass. He's got a point. Bench moochie and the center, put in hawkins and ming.

8. kountzer

kountzer Member

I think the new 3 sec. defensive player in the lane rule has a lot to do with it.

~ kountzer ~

9. angelcds

angelcds Member

:( Apparently we just don't know it and Rudy's brain has been abducted by cigarette smoking man from the x-files. That's the only explaination for his lineup and coaching decisions lately, a conspiracy. I don't understand, we have two good, no wait, one great center in Yao, and a decent backup whose playing much better than before in Cato. Why are we not not using them when were playing SABONIS??? We finally have a the unthinkable the 2nd coming of Hakeem, or the closet anyone will ever get to it, and Rudy doesn't want throw it into the post every play? Its simple, inside out offense, Yao/Motaylor/Rice down low, pass it out easy shots???? Now doesn't that sound simple? They showed us flashes last week, and we won, say that again, we won, but now its like okay we wanna lose again, let's do everything we can to lose again. We need to have a regular rotation, better decision making by our entire backcourt, less dribbling which has led only to turnovers, and more more more more more Yao! A big man cannot score if he doesn't get the ball, our big men ALL seem to play with more intensity when they're just involved offensively, not even just scoring, just involved. I've seen Yao and Mo set picks and the guards don't even use them???:(

10. Rocket Addict

Rocket Addict Contributing Member

Agreed. Yao was struggling from the line but he was one of very few positive factors for the Rockets. Rudy pulls him at the 2 minute mark in the third and the Portland lead grows. There was no need for him to sit on the bench until the 6 minute mark in the fourth.

Rudy has always been a good coach, but he is really struggling with his lineups and decision making. It's clear that he doesn't know what he wants and the team is reflecting that. There are just too many bodies and egos up front. Someone needs to go.

11. jlaw

jlaw Member

Rudy probably smoked the joint with Stourdamire and Wallace in the locker room during half-time.

12. RocDreamer

RocDreamer Contributing Member

I still have not forgotten that Cato was averaging 11 boards and a couple of blocks per game. What is the deal? Put the man on the floor.