1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why don't more websites use Flash

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by heypartner, Aug 19, 2000.

Tags:
  1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

because they don't speak to databases...

So who wants to see the future when Shockwave/Flash brings Internet databases alive...

Who wants to see one of my chiles...

Who wants to see a Flashling...
    www.flashlings.com

Summon me. Enter your name. Summon someone else from far away. Those are NOT toys, those are containers for database information. We can fill them with more than a name...like an entire BBS thread....oops that's proprietary! Forget I said that.

Go ahead...summon some info.

[This message has been edited by heypartner (edited August 19, 2000).]

2. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

LOL I created Franchise and they gave him 6 rings on his fingers. Coincedence or something more? [​IMG]

------------------
    In order to be a success in life, you need 2 things:
    1. Don't tell everything you know.

3. heypartner

well I'm going to grad that guy back from you

4. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

A few reasons:

1. People are making the migration from dialup to higher speed access.

2. People are just now realizing that things are possible beyond HTML and animated GIFS.

3. Do you envision heavy Flash usage for B2B or just for after hours things such as a Rockets BBS?

Mango

ps check you mail

------------------
    1. Put new topics in the proper forum
    2. Use clear wording for new threads
    3. No duplicate threads
    4. Conduct yourself as an adult
    The Serious Police are watching
    Donate Blood or be assimilated!

5. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Actually, more "average" websites don't use Flash because of the damn price. LOL! [​IMG]

But commercial ones do use them, although like HeyPee said, it isn't exactly rampant in popularity. Much of it does have to do with the fact you could never tie the vector animation into a database. Animation is cool, but connecting your clients to your backend product database is more ummm... profitable.

With the added functionality of high speed lines like fruitboy said, more "average" folks couldn't care less if it was Flash or hypertext as long as it got them what they needed and did it relatively quickly. The "wow" factor only goes so far in B2B.

------------------
    Just shut up and post

6. heypartner

Doc,

Thanks for saying "you could never tie it" rather than "can never". It is past tense now...

I was going to have to kill you on behalf of my programmers who spent all summer getting Flash to hit DB2 directly...no Generator or anything. Man, can I catch up on some sleep now.

...hmmm maybe trolls could be replaced by, like, merchants who want to show you their wares and take orders...I wonder if that has a market.

nah...probably not.

7. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

Does Flash have collision detection?

Mango

ps check your mail

------------------
    1. Put new topics in the proper forum
    2. Use clear wording for new threads
    3. No duplicate threads
    4. Conduct yourself as an adult
    The Serious Police are watching
    Donate Blood or be assimilated!

8. heypartner

No. In fact, the instruction set is rather small and limited. You have to create all your own AI through tedious programming.

Or you get Macromedia's source code and wrap an authoring engine around the Flash file itself. oops...that was proprietary, too. Darn, I hope no one finds out about our idea.

9. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Wow, nice to see I'm not the only one awake at 6 in the morning. [​IMG]

------------------
    Just shut up and post

10. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Oh, HeyPee. Is it compliant only with DB2 or will it be able to hit Oracle, Sybase, SQL Server etc. db using ODBC?

Man, is this a hell of a way to get your post count up, or what?

------------------
    Just shut up and post

11. heypartner

Well...DB2 is not really the right way to say it. It is the web application server platform that imposes the most integration issues. Currently, we are developing back-end connectors for IBM Websphere (which comes with DB2). We could just as easily slide any relational database supported Websphere, such as Oracle, MySQL and others. MS sucks in integration with IBM, of course.

Note though to a large extent what we do in with the Flash file is independent of the back-end. It simly requests database records.