1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why Don't Liberal Feminists Fight for Muslim Women?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by RocketsLegend, Jul 1, 2016.

1. dback816

dback816 Member

Well, that settles it. I guess nobody else experiences serious trauma in America outside of the AA community.

2. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

I'm still going to have to ask why? Is it because women of color have to put up with men of color?

3. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

You seem to hit the nail on this one.

The difference of course is that no one gives a crap about your head traumas. :)

#43 Invisible Fan, Jul 3, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2016
  4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Women of Color are paid less than White Women and White men
    Women of Color have different health issues and some differences in life choices

I don't have all the answers but i just know what I hear

Rocket River

5. Bennie Anders

Bennie Anders Member

Because Israel has aligned itself with Saudi Arabia.

6. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Feminism is often aligned with "anti capitalism" so no

7. Exiled

Exiled Member

8. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

And here you just showed your true bigoted color.

9. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

All major world religions since their founding, and supported in their sacred texts, treat women as lower class. Islam, Christianity, even Buddhism and Hinduism have documented rules/laws that discriminate against women. It's should not be surprising since these religions were created/designed by men. To be fair Hinduism has the strongest support for feminine position among major world religions but it's the best of the worst which isn't anything to be proud of really.

Truth is, all religion is designed by men with woman as a footnote, an after thought. The difference however is that most religions/societies have evolved and progressed in the treatment of women. Some more than others, but clearly Islam is way behind and in some places regressing rapidly. It's not racists to say that. Own it and fix it.

10. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

Islam is not a race.... criticizing Islam is not racist.

11. bongman

bongman Member

Just curious. Whenever you see or read that Islam is criticized, do yo feel that they are talking about the Indonesians, Filipinos, Indians, etc or just Arab looking muslims?

12. Nook

Nook Member

They are talking about the religion of Islam.

13. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

On OP, I see a lot of hypocrisy charges get slung around here. Why doesn't this other group do what we outsiders -- who are not affiliated in any way -- expect they'd do, given our cursory understanding of what they stand for! Wouldn't it be better to look at the behaviors of the communities you consider yourself a member of and hold yourself accountable instead of pointing fingers at everybody else? For example, "as a BBS community purportedly engaged in debate and discussion, how can we refrain from unsubstantiated name-calling?" I think the conversation could be more constructive and problem-solving in nature, even if we don't ultimately find a solution. Now, I'm sure I'm part of the problem in this regard, but I do recognize at least in a theoretical way that defining the Other just so I can criticize it is not healthy or helpful behavior. To anticipate the objection, it's not that I don't think it's ever appropriate to criticize the behaviors of other communities; it can be. I just don't think you can define what is hypocritical behavior for a group you're no member of.

This is what Christianity says (in part) about the role of women: "So in Christ Jesus you are all children of God through faith, for all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ. There is neither Jew nor Gentile, neither slave nor free, nor is there male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus." What does Hinduism say that is more egalitarian than that?

14. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So you can say that Muslims are evil dirty people, right? That's not at all a problem to you. Got it.

15. Exiled

Exiled Member

Not sure why you are so enthusiastic of this.....so ..unintelligent behaviour

The most likely circumstances of you becoming a Christian or people of color generally is through enslavement

16. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

What the hell. This is not at all what he said. He said that Islam is not a race, so criticizing Islam is not racist.

17. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

What exactly do conservatives do for Muslim women other than posting stuff on the internet complaining about how liberals don't do enough to help Muslim women?

Are they volunteering with NGOs and schools in the Muslim world working on efforts to improve the treatment and education of women? Are they making improving treatment of women a top agenda in diplomatic efforts? Did the Bush administration make pushing for women's rights a high priority when they had plenty of American troops in Afghanistan and Iraq?

#57 Carl Herrera, Jul 5, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  18. dback816

dback816 Member

Im sorry that you've been indoctrinated this far. It must be nice to be able to dismiss half of the population's concerns as merely "first world problems" and pretend everything is alright.

19. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Well first off, there are many revered Women Gods in Hinduism. The texts themselves are mixed and contradictory but manusmriti does state "women must be honored and adorned" and "where women are revered, there the gods rejoice; but where they are not, no sacred rite bears any fruit". But it's inconsistent like most religious texts. You know because different men wrote different parts at different times.

The Jesus figure and teaching definitely is the most egalitarian for all people. However Christianity blames a woman for the first sin, not man. The woman tempted man. But NT is not free from treating women as 2nd class citizens. Here is a few examples,

Matthew 5:32 seems to have different rules regarding divorce. Men can divorce their wives if they are unfaithful, but woman cannot.

Corinthians 7:27, Makes a wife sound like burden.

Also in Corinthians 14:34-35, women should shut up in church. Don't speak, don't ask questions. If they have one, they have to tell their husband only.

There are many others, you can look them up yourself.

20. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

You're free to twist my words and throw out loaded questions in order to feel sorry, not sorry.