1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why Don't Liberal Feminists Fight for Muslim Women?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by RocketsLegend, Jul 1, 2016.

1. cml750

cml750 Member

He filed that brief as a lawyer respresenting a group, the Texas Retired Teachers Association. He was doing his job representing his clients. How can you call that hypocrisy? So Clinton's absolute lies doing illegal things like having a private e-mail server as Secretary of State or her lies about a video causing the violence in Benghazi that needlessly led led to four dead Americans don't phase you do they. If you can't see the difference in someone doing their job verses someone outright lying I just do not know what to tell you, please get your head out of the sand. I believe it is you who has issues knowing what hypocrisy is. Wow, liberals are so easy to expose.

2. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

I didn't say some liberals weren't hypocritical. If I need to remind you of your own statement, you went on a rant about the hypocrisy of liberals. I did not refute any statement you made- I merely pointed out that conservatives as just as hypocritical and included a quote directly from the Bible that tells you not to judge others. So, if you profess that Christ lives in you, and Christ tells you you shouldn't judge others, and you do this- and very unfairly, BTW- THAT IS CALLED BEING A HYPOCRITE. I am sorry this is too difficult a concept for you to understand.

3. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

More accurately, "Why don't MORE Liberal feminists fight for Muslim Women?"

It's a good question. I think they are mostly concerned with problems in the society in which they identify, which is perfectly fair for any person. They would I hope acknowledge that the condition of women in other countries (particularly Islamic ones) is far worse, but at the same time they have less power to impact their situation.

The narrator of the video was herself born into an Islamic community, I believe, and that of course greatly factors into her particular interest in this topic. So, I hope she could appreciate why others who share similar feminist values as her may not personally prioritize this to the extent she does. At the same time, she's doing all she can for a worthy cause she believes in, and I can't help but admire her for it.

1 person likes this.
  4. dandorotik

Again, your examples are not examples of hypocrisy.

Example: Clinton says she is staunchly against military intervention overseas. Then she votes for troops to be sent to Iraq. If this were true, this would be an example of hypocrisy- saying one thing and doing completely the opposite.

Non-Example: Clinton saying that a video caused the Benghazi attack, when in fact it was a planned terror attack. You want to call that misleading or lying, fine- but it is not an example of hypocrisy.

You just don't understand what being hypocritical means, and I really wish you would take the time to research its meaning so we could have an intelligent discussion here. I'm tired of being the only one holding up my end of the intelligent bargain.

5. dandorotik

Now this I can get on board with. But the question is also: is this a religious thing or a nation thing? Is this a problem that affects all Muslim women, or is it specific to a region or country? If the former, then by all means liberals should call this out. If it's a country thing, then that nation should be called out. I personally think Saudi Arabia is a horrible country in terms of women's rights, and I don't care whether they're Muslim, etc.- it's their country I have a problem with.

On the liberal side, I think it's also hypocritical for a company to say, "we're not doing business in North Carolina due to the bathroom law..." but agreeing to do business with a country such as Iran which outlaws homosexuality. I know some fellow liberals won't agree with me, but that's just my belief. You can't decry homosexual discrimination in America and accept it in a country in the Middle East. Just IMO.

6. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Because it would be racist

7. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So really the question is - why don't more people fight for the rights of the less fortunate?

8. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

No.. Why do liberal feminsts GO OUT OF THEIR WAY to defend Islam?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/gabby-aossey/muslims-are-the-true-feminists_b_9877692.html
    Read and laugh

9. fchowd0311

There is this odd phenomenon where Western white women defend Muhammad as a bringer of women's rights. It's freaking laughable. Just to be seen as not racist.

Why can't liberals just state that Islam might be inherently a draconian religion but most people who were born into the faith just happened to be born into it and din't chose the religion. Most don't practice it literally. That's why it's wrong to indiscriminately judge all Muslims they same way.

But no... It has to be "Islam is a religion of PEACE!".

#29 fchowd0311, Jul 2, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2016
  10. Exiled

Exiled Member

Just curious , is "cml750" just another user name of yours!

11. fchowd0311

You got me! You solved the puzzle. Congrats.

1 person likes this.
  12. dback816

dback816 Member

Liberal feminists?

Are there even conservative feminists?

13. cml750

cml750 Member

lol!!!!;)

14. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I support a woman's right to make me a sandwich...

There are conservative women who believe in feminist principles but disagree on either side of the abortion issue.

The reason is because feminism is a big tent with several different waves and mindsets.

Just like liberals...

Connies are also a big tent only unified by their hate and loathing of liberals whom they view as patronizing and hypocritical.

I think women's rights in Islamic and other nations are pretty jacked up. I guess that makes be a feminist, even if I think some women milk the issue of their personal oppression way too much.

15. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

The ones I have spoken too have stated that they have needs and issues
    that are unique to their position in society
    The overall attitudes seems to be the feeling that . . if it don't help white women then NOW don't give a d*mn about it.
    When Women of Color bring up their issues in these circles they are generally told they not being a 'team player' and being 'disruptive' etc etc etc.

I am not 100% versed on the specifics but many of my female friends
    are FEIRCELY against being labeled a Feminist
    They all choose to be called Womanist because it is more inclusive they tell me

They often say NOW forgot to put in the other W . . . National Organization for White Women

Rocket River

16. dback816

dback816 Member

Do black people also milk the issue of their personal oppression way too much?

17. fchowd0311

Naw... not really.

Honestly any other minority group that experienced 400 years of explicit institutionalized racism would probably resort to more violent means and actually use the second amendment to use the way a true conservative would want... to rebel agaisnt a tyrannical government.

18. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I have sometimes thought of this over time, but when I get to know more black people, some of the stories Ive heard are some of the most messed up things that people don't say in casual company.

What I meant about "personal oppression. are "first world problems" like the server is being rude to me or my latte is lukewarm. Nothing the likes of serious trauma that shapes your life in uncontrollable ways.

19. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It seems to me the norm today is to take one or a few people doing something of x and then generalize that to the entire group.

So if one woman defends Islam it means all women are doing it.
    If one black person says cops are pigs, then everyone else thinks that as well.
    If one "liberal" believes something, they all do and you can just say "liberals"

And if you protest than you are just being "PC".

It's a brilliant way to win a debate without actually having to debate - just create endless strawmen or ridiculous ideas.

Why do conservatives hate thinking so much? See, anyone can do it.

1 person likes this.
  20. fchowd0311

I actually agree with you. The modern age of social media and the internet in general along with the comment section of the internet allows someone to find anecdotal stories that literally support any agenda or world view.

You think you are being persecuted as a Christian in the U.S? Find an anecdotal story that loosely supports your claim, read the comment section of that article, get even more brainwashed and then assume that anecdotal story is rampant across America.

One idiot feminist vblogger on youtube says some really asinine ****, the reaction of the Reddit demographic is "OMG FEMINAZIS TAKING OVER!!".

Any agenda, any opinion, you will find a news story of a one off incident that supports your agenda.

It's the story of Rocketslegend pretty much.