1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why doesn't Americans like Badminton

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by pirc1, Aug 17, 2016.

Tags:
  1. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Many people in US like tennis, to me badminton is just as exciting, why doesn't people here like to watch this game? I can barely play either game myself, so this is from a spectator perspective.

2. Jontro

Jontro Member

I played badminton a while back. It's harder than it looks. I pong a lot so I often find myself trying to spin the shuttlecock with a nice slice and it goes nowhere.

A lot of Indians play at the UH Rec when I was there. Never played there tho because as far as I was concerned they're taking up basketball area :)

3. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

People in the USA worship other people, stars, heroes, etc... There is/was no one to worship in Badminton so no one cares.

4. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

My friends and I played badminton often as teenagers. Very taxing. Will bring you to your knees in no time. I played tennis also but badminton was much more exhausting (and fun).

Most Americans just don't get it, especially men. They think it's a "sissy" sport. I've been teased by people after telling them how much fun it is.

5. pirc1

The only people who plays here are international students as well, but if you watch the badminton on live coverage, that really take skills and stamina to play the game at the top level, those guys are amazing.

6. PhiSlammaJamma

If you can have some competitive matches with your friends in the backyard at a young age, then I think u can appreciate the fun of it. But how often does that happen these days is the question. Probably not much. There's no video game either. There used to be Olympic video games and arcade games which helped a lot, but you barely see that anymore for some reason. Yet, I would probably buy one right now if it was available.

7. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

to be embraced, it needs to be converted into Beerminton like ping pong was converted into beer pong

8. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

I remember taking a badminton course in college (30+ years ago) and being paired with this huge d-lineman from the football team. He was this huge beast of guy, but as laid back as could be; it was the 70's after all.

We were a two-man team and we would have him play up close at the net just intimidating people with his "war face" and menacing presence. We dominated. It was hilarious.

9. SunsRocketsfan

i dont like it because they always take up half the basketball courts at the local gym.

GRRRRRR

10. Jontro

Jontro Member

I've watched professional athletes represent their countries live. The Chinese are something else. Very intense match. I don't know how they can have such quick reflexes because when I play, sometimes my eyes can't follow when the smash is hard.

I've played with older (40-50's) brehs and they are really good. They can do that backhand smash with a flick of their wrist. I looked stupid chasing around the shuttlecock with my basketball shoes thinking I'd school these old dudes.

But speaking of popularity, it's hard to find a proper court to play badminton. When you try playing outdoors, the wind messes things up. I guess that's why nobody cares.

11. pirc1

Maybe it is just a culture thing, no one plays it so no one cares, repeat cycle. I just think it is exciting and a many ways similar to tennis.

12. TheMystery008

TheMystery008 Member

Badminton is a lot of fun. It is a lot easier to learn as well than tennis.

13. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

You guys complaining about them taking up your basketball courts may want to find a gym farther away from Bellaire and Gessner.

14. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

lmao - when I was a student at Rice this was a particular problem.

15. Juxtaposed Jolt

If you have a hard time convincing people to like Tennis, you're gonna have an even harder time convincing them of Badminton.

Badminton is just not a flashy sport, and it's also not really an "American" sport (see: Soccer, etc.)

It's a hard sell. I don't understand why Golf is so liked among men, but sports like Badminton, aren't.

16. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

try going to fonde on a sunday breh

17. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

You can't drink beer between serves.

18. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

You nailed it. Kids like to have their fun indoors more than ever.

I'm surprised there are several people who have commented positively.

19. Buck Turgidson

Because we isn't Asian?

Bocce is a great game too.

20. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

It's not a sport, it's a recreational activity. Like golf, bowling, darts, ping pong, pool, croquet, horseshoes, etc. You play badminton at the backyard picnic right before you eat barbecue.