1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why does nobody ever talk about the Spurs?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by K-Low_4_Prez, Mar 18, 2014.

Tags:
  1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

If...if...if Ray Allen misses that shot.,,.so LOLs
    iff iff Ray Allen misses

Spurs fan in denial.

It wasn't 1 shot. It was because Popovich sat Tim Duncan.
    Then he did it again the next game

The loss is not on luck
    The loss is on Popovich
    Stupid Spurs Fan

2. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Sorry but f*** Ginobili. Also the fact that Bowen's jersey hangs over every home game makes it impossible for me to cheer for them.

3. Benchwarmer

Benchwarmer Member

The Spurs are the only team that doesn't need to play 100% to coast through the regular season. But during the playoffs, they flip a switch and become super hard to beat. It's like they just toy with everyone else for 82 games.

4. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

Settle down, man.. I'm not a Spurs fan at all. :confused:

5. heypartner

So, how do us SFOH not know you are an SF.

6. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

You're actually one of my favorite posters in here, so this comment towards me is a little disappointing..

I am not a Spurs fan in the slightest, I will gladly bad mouth any Spurs player.

**** Tim Duncan, especially when people try to compare him to Dream.
    **** Parker, for stealing Brent Barry's love.
    **** Pop, for his artificial tough guy act for the camera.

I'm simply really fascinated by how people's perceptions of players can change so easily, hence my comment about Ray Allen's shot. Like I said, if he misses that shot (and I'm not saying that's the only reason the Heat won.. The Spurs choked BAD) then LeBron only has 1 ring right now, possibly at the end of the Big 3 era in Miami, not to mention their current losing skid.

7. heypartner

No, I am disappoint in me

I love the "**** Pop, for his artificial tough guy act for the camera."

GO PIEMAN2005

8. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

All is forgiven :cool: GO ROCKETS.

**** Spurs past, present, and future. :cool:

9. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

heypartner, I know you are a Spurs hater and you know I am a Lakers hater. We also know that all these fan and hater things are really not very rational. I guess it's kind of part of the fun.

That said, I do believe that hating the Lakers is a lot more reasonable than hating the Spurs. Spurs fans are stupid. Lakers fans are stupid AND arrogant AND entitled AND front running. The whole Lakers organization from top to bottom is like that.

The Spurs have some despicable characters through the years. But what team doesn't? If you look at their stars, Duncan is one of the easiest guys to root for. Before him, Robinson has never done anything bad against us apart from "stealing" the MVP award from Hakeem, but that's not his fault.

Besides, we have been beaten by the Lakers much more times than by the Spurs. We haven't played the Spurs in the playoffs for almost two decades now. The last time we played them we won.

The Lakers always get media attention. The Spurs just quietly do their things. I just don't get the Spurs hate.

10. stipendlax

stipendlax Member

It took many, many, many years of self-reflection for me to be able to say this, so here it goes:

I may not like the Spurs but I sure as hell respect them.

That being said, **** the Spurs.

11. Jontro

Jontro Member

**** OFF

amirite? or amirite?

12. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Their arena sucks, it's in the hood and you have to park like it's a football game

13. heypartner

Easy, all you had to do was ask. I think you wrote too many paragraphs here.

Your last sentence, "I just don't get the Spurs hate",,, it's strictly Texan, compounded by the fact I viciously, hate Bruce Bowen

Don't even try to argue with me about why I hate coaches like Popovich. Just move along...find another argument.

I guess you don't get it.

14. Dabeezneez

Dabeezneez Member

Cause they do it every year. It's like a given

15. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

I like the Spurs, Duncan and Pop.

COME AT ME, BREHS!!!

16. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Spurs will go as far as Parker takes them.
    He seems just that super little but off his game this year.

Records be damn, I'd pick Thunder and Clippers to beat them in the playoffs and give the Rockets a fighting chance. And the Heat.

For an older team, 3 rounds of opponents forcing long series. Remember they had it relatively easy last years playoffs. Warriors were in over their heads. Grizz were paper tigers. Lakers in first round. PLEASE. Btw, that's the story of all Spurs championships - historically weak playoff competition, excepting one round (eg beating the lakers in early 2000s)

17. Pull_Up_3

Pull_Up_3 Member

Will the spurs finish with the 1 or 2 seed? Or will they drop to 3? here is their schedule starting on the 31st...

@Indiana
    Vs GS
    @OKC (back to back)
    Vs Memphis
    @Wolves
    @Dallas
    Vs Suns (back to back)
    @ Rockets
    Vs Lakers

that is a BRUTAL schedule where all those teams will be fighting for playoff spots so if pop decides to rest the starters they could drop some games....

18. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I'll kind of give you an idea about San Antonio and the Spurs.

And nothing I'm writing here is meant to be disparaging.

Sportswriters have answered this question to a degree. They say they love the Spurs, the team does it right, it's a great organization, but every time they write or talk about the Spurs they just don't spark a huge reaction one way or the other.

Also, whenever covering the Spurs during the playoffs, sportswriters remark how connections to and from San Antonio are more difficult than other markets. Some of this, I'm sure, is the fact that San Antonio is at the end of the line; keep flying south and you're no longer a domestic flight. Wave "hello" to Lonesome Dove as you fly over.

Whereas with certain teams you get major bandwagoning because of the stars (Miami Heat) or massive love / massive hate (Lakers) or just plain huge-market hysteria (Knicks).

San Antonio is among the nation's top 10 cities in population---not counting the metropolitan area, mind you; S.A. itself has more people than live within Dallas' city limits. (Metropolitan area and Fortune 500 business-population, however, for Houston and Dallas are much more significant than for S.A.)

But then you have to look at the makeup of fans and media of a city. Spurs fans are very passionate about their team, sure (they probably even comprise 20% of the seats purchased when the Spurs visit Houston; ugh), but most are concentrated here in Texas, many from low-income households with or without access to Internet.

Besides, look at Houston. The Rockets are about to have one of their best regular seasons (barring another late-season, why-does-McHale-play-his-best-players-40mpg? collapse) and even with 790's team coverage we still get 84.3% Texans coverage on local sports radio.

Houston sports media seasons:

Texans pre-season
    Texans regular season
    Texans what-the-hell-happened? season
    Texans draft season

Rinse

Repeat

19. rocketsmetalspd

Good for you, Yea!! But like Texas Longhorn fans and Texas Aggies fans who will never root for the opposite team, I will never root for the Spurs!!

20. SK34

SK34 Member

I'm always against teams in Texas except for rockets or texans.
    I want the rockets to have the most championship in Texas not spurs. F spurs.

I was so glad they lost.

4 is easier to catch than 5.