1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Why does JVG give so much credit to JBB for this season's "stability" after the McHale debacle

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RESINator, Apr 7, 2016.

1. RESINator

RESINator Member

I don't get it.

We were on national TV a couple nights ago vs OKC.

JVG and Mark Jackson had a brief segment where they were speaking very highly of Bickerstaff. They even posited that he would be the future Rockets head coach.

I could not believe it. Had they watched the Rocket's this season? Let alone JB's post-game conferences or substitutions? There is no way that he remains coach.

This season was a disaster and they acted like JB kept it "together". He absolutely did not. The team is broken and he failed miserably.

Is this a consequence of the now everyone needs to be PC culture?

2. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Because these players on the rockets are a disrespect to the game... he inherent this bs.

3. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

JVG is a good guy but he's a perennial coach kiss ass. I wouldn't put much stock into his comments about other coaches honestly.

4. Cashmoney

Cashmoney Member

I think JVG is just trying to do his best to support someone who may remind him of a position he was once in. I doubt he truly believes he's been a good coach.

5. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

But your right it doesn't change the fact that he absolutely sucks as a coach. He's a players coach that sucks at coaching what a bad combination for this team. These players don't need a friendly coach that can't led them I'd rather have McFail then him. I can coach better than JB and I'M DEAD SERIOUS with that statement.

6. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Coach supporting coach.

7. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

I met jvg after the game and said he should come back and coach this team again and he reiterated that we have a hell of a coach already in JB

I love jvg but was puzzled at that

8. ISOBall

ISOBall Member

SAS did it too its obvious they know he sucks

9. RESINator

RESINator Member

It's so strange that they will rip on players, floppers, criticize the league, refs, but when it comes to a rookie head coach that he becomes untouchable.

10. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

It's just the PC answer to give...just like what he said on TV. Kind of the coaches' honor code.

The truth is that Bickerstaff has done a terrible, terrible job.

11. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Also confused by JVG gushing about how "big" and "wide" Harden is.

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

JVG never criticizes coaches ever.

DD

13. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

To be fair, everyone seems to "love" JBB. Which is fine and all, but irrelevant to his coaching skills, which clearly suck.

14. CCorn

CCorn Member

You don't want to be rude to a man before you take his job.

15. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

Eh, just staying in good with his peer group. I doubt he means it.

16. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I think JVG is sticking up for JBB because he knows the insane pressure that was put on him to save the season, and the coaches in the NBA are a big fraternity that have each others backs for good reasons. They are always going to be blamed, and will never get the credit they deserve. Coaching in the NBA is freaking hard. The biggest coaching critic Haralabob V. has said it himself that while he picks on bad coaching, he realizes that its really really freaking hard to coach in the NBA, and the good coaches really stand out among the multitude of bad ones.

That being said, we all know that JBB, while he's done better at getting this team to perform that McHale did at the start of the season, has far from earned himself another year as the head coach of the Rockets.

I think JBB has potential to be a solid NBA coach for years to come, but he's not a good fit for this pathetic bunch of losers who just simply don't care enough to give him the effort needed to cover up JBB and McHale's weaknesses as coaches that aren't on the level of a Popovich or Carlisle that few are.

I commend JVG for sticking up for JBB. Its the right thing to do for one of your own. I don't think anyone on here is realizing the insurmountable task he was assigned this year, and we have no idea how this situation might be stressing him out and beating him up.

1 person likes this.
  17. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

What is he supposed to say? "Yeah, that dude sucks. He should be fired."?

JVG always, ALWAYS sticks up for coaches. I have never heard him say anything bad about a coach. Never. Anything else, JVG is as honest and straight as you can get in the media. Not on coaches.

18. houtown

houtown Member

I do not know why people feel sorry for Bickerstaff, I can see at least criticize him for his mistakes, and not calling for his job as a coach. He was an assistant coach for years for the same team.

From what I see when the team plays is that they play hard most games, and they give the effort, so I think that is an unfair thing to say about the team.Despite some bumps in the road this season, James Harden in My opinion, has possibly been playing great for the team, especially given the minutes lately on the court.

Jeff Van Gundy was not a great coach for the Rockets, so I can see how he might relate to the situation at the moment. I do not get why someone would commend him, if anything, I would only commend him for doing his job as an "analyst," but they seem to never have anything negative to say about the decisions of a coach.

19. dmoneybangbang

This is a fair take. People are too emotional to actual judge what JBB has done or understand the situation he was put in.

I don't feel sorry for JBB as this is the nature of the biz however.

20. Nick_713

Nick_713 Member

The reason is very simple IMO...in sports, players always refer to themselves as a fraternity; coaches/managers feel the exact same way among themselves.

When McHale and Blatt were fired this season, other NBA coaches (primarily Pops and Carlisle) publicly stood up for them (based on last season's results, and, in the case of Blatt, a 30-11 start to this season in CLE).

As a longtime NBA coach, JVG will follow the coaches "honor code" and not **** on a coach, especially not on a nationally televised broadcast (even though a majority (myself included) feel that JBB deserves and has earned all the negative criticism from fans based on how bad he has truly been).

Coaches never publicly state their desires for a fellow coach to be fired; and when a coach does get fired, like McHale, coaches that are available as a FA (like Thibs) never want to accept that job in-season because they feel they are breaking that said code (that is almost always why the interim coach is one of the assistants). Besides, coaches would rather have a full off-season to bring in their own coaching staff, system, culture, and work with management to decide which players stay or go.