1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why does Gerald Green get a free pass 24/7 while Melo gets banished?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by W22_STREAK, Nov 23, 2018.

1. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

Gerald Green has NEVER been an efficient player. Since the first day he was here in 08 I've watched every single game of his and NOTHING I have observed has been better than what Melo has done for us.

Statistically this season:

Green/Anthony
    TS%: 51.5/51.3
    WS/48: 0.25/0.45
    Free Throw Rate: .073/.182
    Total Rebound %: 8.1/10.5
    PER: 9.7/11.5

Gerald Green as much as I love him since the draft back in '05, doesn't do anything for this team a vet min wing guy can do. He takes wild 3's out of the rhythm of the offence, takes them at an uber high rate (to the point it seems like every second time he touches the ball he hoists it up without thinking of any other options), can't create for himself EVER, has no post game (Melo's historically good in this aspect), and I can't imagine he's closer friends to CP/Harden than Melo is. This season Gerald Green is shooting a terrible 30% on 3's, and he's jacking up more than 5 f*** 3's a game.

THIS GUY SITTING AND BEING BENCHED IS THE SINGLE BIGGEST CONTRIBUTOR TO THE BOUNCEBACK OF OUR BELOVED TEAM.

Melo, despite his struggles, played better than CP3 and Gordon during a bad stretch even by his aged/declining standards. He didn't play well consistently as exemplified by the egregious OKC game, but he shined on plenty of occasions with 20 point + scoring outbursts on the road against Chicago and Brooklyn where he was a dominant factor to us winning. Melo doesn't even have to play well during the regular season; he's brought here to create an extra point of attack in the playoffs where offences begin to stagnate and/or CP3/Harden can't get it going. The guy has sacrificed more to be on this team than he has EVER sacrificed for any team or anyone in his CAREER and was willing to do whatever it took to blend in on this team and help this team win a championship when the team didn't really have any options after paying massive contracts to CP3/Capela (who's regressed extremely bad to start the season and only bounced back during our current win streak).

Sure Clark is cute and I love him, in fact he's my favourite player on the team currently, however this guy is not the guy that's gonna heat up for a 10 point outburst in the second quarter when our team is struggling, injecting a crucial offensive run to swing the momentum in our way when the calls run dry for our MVP. Melo WILL. Okay he might be the worst defender on the team, but is Gerald Green? At least Melo can go to work down the point and generate a key basket whenever the team needs - all Gerald Green can do and will do is do a 360 turnaround 3 that's going to go in 1/5 times/hit the side of the backboard (and he did indeed do that in the GSW series).

Melo is no defensive glove, but there has no one worse than Harden offensively over the last 6+ seasons since he got here as a whole. Now don't get me wrong and Harden is the no.1 reason I tune into the Rockets each and every game, and have done so for the 6 seasons and every game he's been here for, but if we can live with Harden's appalling effort at defence for 82 games a season for 5+ seasons (he's gotten much better since CP3 got here but he couldn't have been any worse), surely we can tolerate Melo's supposed lack of defence when he's on a Veteran's Minimum salary whos DESIGNATED role is to go iso once in a while when CP3/Harden are struggling.

Melo is a dislikeable personality and carries a lot of distracting media baggage with him, but no other HOF'er is going to sign for you at a Veteran's Minimum salary when he has always had plenty of suitors. If Gerald Green who was sitting on his couch is going to get 20+ minutes a game on this championship contender, while playing extremely one dimensional and inefficient. It's almost like Harden and CP3 has to makeup for his insanely atrocious play every game so his ghastly lack of positive contributions don't strangle us into losses on a constant basis. There is no other team Gerald Green would get such minutes and favourable treatment, both from the team and the fans.

Melo deserves to still be here and be playing. There had been a biased and intently crusade against him due to his perceived toxic personality because he's not this "blue collar hardworking undrafted rookie" that we should all be chanting almost by default because it creates a heartwarming story. As a matter of fact, I actually despite Melo as a person - he's always struck me as a self-absorbed, narcissistic, selfish, anti-Asian, douchebaggy playing-pranks-at-the-back-of-the-class nutcase, and I am very sure he wouldn't have treated me well if I knew him personally, but as a player there was no good reason to cut him.

2. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Well, I like the guy and he loves Houston and has a lot of fans in the stands. Yes, he has many flaws, not the least being incredibly streaky and mediocre on defense. I wouldn't be adverse to replacing him with a better player if/win Daryl gets one, but until then I'll cross my fingers when he's on the court and hope that Gerry has one of his hot nights shooting the rock. Besides, Green looks good sitting on the bench. Very cool. You don't think so?

Oh, and who's this Melo fellow? Is Donovan in the house?

alethios, Easy and RudyTBag like this.
  3. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Gerald green is Houston to the bone .

There is no question about what sort of role Gerald would accept . He would do whatever the team asked no questions and would embrace it like it was a starting spot .

To compare the two is asinine . While they both might have defencies on the court ...what Gerald brings to the team is undisputable because it's not even dependent on on the court play . It's what he brings to the lockeroom

Melo chose to seek out a role with more playing time over remaining with the team and embracing being a different kind of veteran .

4. HP3

HP3 Member

I appreciate this post. You put some work into it bro. Some points I agree with, some I dont. It's a shame cause I know who's gonna come in and berate you for saying anything positive about Melo and those who will defend Melo to the end like we could really benefit immensely from him.

But really though, dude is gone and we are rolling right now, so let's just leave it. No more Melo threads, lets move on.

5. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

Exactly how cute is Gary Clark? Also no HOF? Joe Johnson?

DanO 337 likes this.
  6. Rockets4lf

Rockets4lf Member

When you dont play green...he will shut up...when you dont play melo, he will cry and bi1tcch about how awesome he is.

7. forchette49

forchette49 Contributing Member

8. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I will also argue that Green is better than Melo defensively. That's how bad Melo is on defense, you really have to see it on a night to night basis to understand it. His offense, while respectable even at his declining age, I still think he could give you 12-14 ppg and that's great from a bench player...but his offense does not make up for his defense. MAny times on the court he may as well not even be there.

Also, while Harden's defense is questionable at times (although yeah, I think right now he's an average defender consistently), he makes up for it by being one of the best offensive players in the NBA...Melo used to be that guy, but offensively he's not anymore, he just can't drive to the hoop consistently anymore so that makes him a chuck up mid range shooter.

Still, if his defense were average, I'd be glad to keep him...if it was even Gerald Green level, then sure...but it's not been good for us.

Zboy, DonKnock, snowconeman22 and 2 others like this.
  9. 1Deep

1Deep Member

Effort is everything.

don grahamleone likes this.
  10. shlhl

shlhl Member

Melo is gone because he is distraction to the team and won't accept his role and not willing to do the things to win the game. Pure simple.

Zboy, CCity Zero, Ramo$e and 7 others like this.
  11. hakeemthagreat

Where did Melo cry or become a distraction? Every time one of you pushes this false narrative I'm gonna make you look dumb by attempting to prove it

icewill36, mac_got_this and roslolian like this.
  12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Who's man is this? Melo? Is that you?

Rocket River

Zboy, Remlap and Ramo$e like this.
  13. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

We are and have been winning with Gerald Green.

With Melo, not so much.

There is a reason for that. Gerald Green prioritizes the team and the city of Houston over his own ego.

Melo?

Nope.

14. msn

msn Member

From what I read, Melo is gone because he never fit, even though he honestly tried, and the coach didn't need the pressure of playing a future Hall of Famer only in junk time or having a bunch of DNPCDs next to said future Hall of Famer's name. Also, to give dude a chance to catch on somewhere where he might fit. Seems like the Rockets really tried to do right by him (or perhaps I'm just buying whatever kool-aid they're selling).

Gerald Green is nice and all, but in the grand scheme of things he's no Carmelo Anthony. There will be no media circus, no constant questions about chemistry--nay nobody sheds nary a tear--if Gerald Green only plays 4 minutes or gets a few DNPCDs.

ramotadab likes this.
  15. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i don't see teams trying to get a switch on GG everytime they set up their offense

Zboy, Handles, cbass and 4 others like this.
  16. Jontro

Jontro Member

melo got rid of his dreadlocks, which effectively took away his superpowers. that's why he is gone now.

17. icewill36

icewill36 Member

there is zero evidence of this. melo did whatever they asked and they still cut him, and not because he was complaining. this was about the return of bdzelik. they did him dirty.

18. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

1. Because Green hustles constantly when on the floor. Green plays with a ton of heart, Melo didn't. There is a great man known as Rudy T who has a great quote concerning the importance of heart in play. You wont see Melo diving crazily for loose balls, Melo is too melo, you will see Green do it without hesitation.

2. Because Green can atleast communicate properly with his teammates in a switching defensive scheme that our team runs. Something Melo was incapable of.

3. Similar to heart. Green plays ball at a fast pace. Our team likes to play fast. Melo plays Ryan Anderson level slow.

For our team, and the role each player needs to take on there is no doubt Green brings more to the table for our team than Melo

#18 Realjad, Nov 23, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2018
  19. valorita

valorita Member

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I doubt Melo ever slept on a couch after joining the NBA.

ramotadab and juanm34 like this.