1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why do you think Trayvon Martin's Case is getting so much attention?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by wizkid83, Mar 30, 2012.

?

Why do you think Trayvon Martin's Case is getting so much attention?

1. Victim was black

10 vote(s)
    17.2%
  2. The fact that the shooter isn't being charged with a crime

24 vote(s)
    41.4%
  3. Both options

24 vote(s)
    41.4%
  1. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

I really think it's both. The fact that the victim was black definitely played a part in the media hype (just makes good controversial stories). However, I think the quick up roar is largely due to the fact that some one can follow some one, and then if an altercation happens, shoot some one and not even be arrested. I think the quick outrage is largely due to the fact that people have seen similar things happening before.

A lot of people are now bringing up Trevor Dooley, but the key difference here is the system is charging Trevor Dooley with a crime (man slaughter) while the system wasn't doing the same to Zimmerman even with the media hype. Another view is this altercation.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/highs...al-soccer-attack-earns-assault-103322121.html

It's over the top, it's a school yard beating, caught on camera, and the teen is charged with a crime. Now the media is reporting it, but there's no outrage or wide spread anger yet. Do we think that it's because the aggressor was black or because the system is taking more than adequate actions?

#1 wizkid83, Mar 30, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2012
  2. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Zimmerman can still be charged. He just hasn't been arrested yet. It's an ongoing investigation. If they thought there was a risk that he would flee the country or something, they would have arrested him for that reason alone already, I guess.

To answer your question, I think it is both and it is like a snowball that gets rolling once the usual suspects (Farrakhan, Sharpton, Jackson) get involved.

3. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

politicians/actors/anyone black trying to exploit this to their benefit. If people feel Zimmerman is guilty and/or that the police behaved inappropriately and/or the law is stupid then the correct thing to do is go to complain to the local sheriff's office and to the local city council. One could also hold rallies and protests at the city hall demanding the firing of specific members of local law enforcement.

Instead what we have is ******* Congressman wearing hoodies in Congress making such meaningless comments as 'racism is bad' (no ****). You have actors sending lynch mobs to people's houses. We have CNN reports on 'what it's like to be a black anchor'. We also of course get the Sharptons and Jacksons of the world desperate for any attention they can get. Spare me. 90% of the people b****ing in public (not the ones on this board) could careless about the kid.

4. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Why is he an ******* for wearing a hoodie?

5. tallanvor

WTF does Congress have to do with anything? Federal law has nothing to do with this (unless you want to make it about the 2nd amendment which i don't think he was). The guy is just trying to shore up his base. Exploiting the kid. That's an *******.

6. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

You're a little touchy. He was just making a statement in support of the family. Like millions of other people have over the past few weeks. You would have been better off being honest and saying "I disagree with him politically, so he's an *******. I'm just using this situation to call him an *******".

7. tallanvor

exploiting kid's deaths for political gain puts me in a bad mood

I have no idea what this idiots politics are. If he wants to support the family give them a call, write them a letter, or go to the funeral. Where was this ******* during the hundreds of other hate crimes this year? You are incredibly naive and dishonest.

#7 tallanvor, Mar 30, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2012
  8. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

The controversy of the state 'Stand Your Ground' law. It seems to escalate violence and vigilante-ism.

9. Hightop

Hightop Member

It's to distract from the horrors of Obama's presidency with the wars, drone bombing cover ups, trashing of the constitution etc.

10. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

you would of hated Bush.

11. esteban

esteban Member

Election is around the corner, Barry is trying really hard. I hope the American people recognize this BS and keep an eye on our real problems!

12. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is primarily why I am interested in this case.

13. Major

Major Member

I don't think this is true at all. If anything, black deaths tend to get much less attention. The standard media sensation murder is "white girl" (preferably attractive) and the common complaint there is "why do black deaths/kidnappings never get nearly as much attention".

I think this part is exactly write. There's a huge "how can this happen in America!?" component to this.

14. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Except where the situation is that the black death was at the hands of a white man (that was what was reported in the on scene police report.) I think that raises up the spectre of lynchings of black men

15. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

It's because the victim was black and the killer was not black. Simple as that. Just a few months ago Trevor Dooley walked out on to a neighborhood basketball court, got into a confrontation with David James who was playing basketball with his daughter. Dooley was armed and as a result of a confrontation on the basketball court Dooley shot and killed James in front of his daughter. Dooley claimed self defense and was not arrested.

- Trevor Dooley was a black man and David James was a white man.
    - There was no national attention.
    - The Miami Heat made no gestures to show support for David James.
    - President Obama never made a statement claiming that David James playing basketball with his daughter could have been him and his own daughter.
    - Jessie Jackson and Al Sharpton did not demand federal intervention claiming that Dooley murder James in front of his daughter because Dooley hates white people.
    - The Black Panthers did not put a 10000 dollar bounty on the head of Dooley.
    - Spike Lee and Rosanne Barr did not tweet the address of of Trevor Dooley hoping that a vigilante takes the law into their own hands against Dooley.
    - The School that James daughter attends did not leave the school and riot inside of a Wal-green store that had nothing to do with Dooley in order to show their support for James.
    - The Police Chief was not replaced with a vote of no confedence because he wanted to follow Due Process before arresting Dooley.

Trevor Dooley was a black man and David James was a white man. Simple as that. The police were allowed to do their job and Due Process was followed. Trevor Dooley was arrested weeks later and charged with manslaughter.

Can you imagine the national outrage and cries of racial injustice if Trevor Dooley were white and walked out on a neighborhood basketball court and killed David James while playing basketball with his daughter and James were black?

1 person likes this.
  16. ChievousFTFace

ChievousFTFace Contributing Member

[​IMG]

17. crash5179

It was a symbolic support of Treyvon when justice is supposed to be blind. With all the media hype it will be almost impossible for Zimmerman to get a fair trail and when a congressman adds to the hype it makes it that much less likely that justice will be blind. Hell, I've already condemmed Zimmerman myself.

18. crash5179

Sorry if the truth offends you.

19. RocketRaccoon

RocketRaccoon Contributing Member

for now on I'm looking at this image (any face palm) as someone just hiding behind his own crap

20. ChievousFTFace

ChievousFTFace Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Most people are outraged because of vague/dumb laws
    [​IMG]