1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why do you have to start 2 RBs in Fantasy?

Discussion in 'Fantasy Sports' started by TheFreak, Oct 14, 2013.

1. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Has anyone heard of leagues only requiring one starting RB? To me, having to play 2 RBs is outdated. It doesn't even make sense - in real games, you don't use two backs. You use multiple WRs, but never more than one back, unless it's to block. Why do we have to start two RBs in fantasy? When you factor in the decreased usage of RBs in general, as well as the frequency of injury and the scarcity of talent, it seems ridiculous to require it. There also seems to be an abundance of receivers available - if you turn that other RB spot into a flex, it would help even things out. I'm going to try to convince my league next year to only mandate one RB.

2. what

what Member

It's a 10 player system, if you don't require 2 backs you have to have 2 flex positions to get 10 players.

3. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Okay.

4. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

I'm with TheFreak. The system of 2 RBs does not work because there is no depth. I'd rather play 2 at FLEX. The conceit of having every position covered is already stupid because there is no such position as FLEX. Isn't this customizable in every league though?

5. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

We run a 1RB minimum league here on Clutchfans. Suckers.

6. Brandyon

Brandyon Member

The 2rb system made more sense when the traditional fantasy football rules were established. Back then, split time backs were less common. A 10 team league could start 20 backs who average the number of carries per game that maybe 7-10 do in todays game.

PPR scoring is the most common way to offset the changes, because getting one of those top handful of RB's becomes less make or break & many split carry backs become more viable. I've had a problem at RB2 for a couple weeks, but it looks like Ellington(who I picked up last week) may be able to handle the role with PPR scoring. Waivers are skimpy, but options are there for people who are patient.

That said, I don't think there's anything wrong with a 1RB format considering the current state of full carry RBs in the league. Should be able to set up a league that way assuming all the players are down with that setup.

7. hardcorerobot

hardcorerobot Member

My wife is in a league that is:
    QB
    RB
    RB/WR
    WR
    WR
    WR/TE
    TE
    K
    DEF

So there you can your 1 and 2 RB sets, as well as your 2 TE or 4 wideout. Its definitely interesting, certainly devalued the RBs in the draft.