1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why do we like basketball so much?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Rockets1616, Mar 19, 2008.

1. Rockets1616

Rockets1616 Member

Last night, after the Rockets lost to Boston, I got so damn pissed I threw something at the wall and almost broke my mirror. Thats when I asked myself, why do I get so worked up over a game that I have no control over? Why do we like basketball so much and why does it makes us so mad when the team we like loses? I mean its not like we lose anything in our life when they lose. The same goes for all sports. Im still and will always be a life long Rocket fan, yet I have no idea why I take it as such a big deal. I don't even live in H-town and never have, im in Austin but i've always hated the Spurs and loved the Rockets. What do you guys think? What drives you to be such a big fan?

2. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

Sometimes, I think to myself the opposite of that.

As to your question... I think its a matter of how much we like to see our teams succeed; and when they do, it makes us feel all cuddly inside...

I think someone should start a thread on Worst Rockets breakdowns. After Game 7 loss last year, I threw a chair around the room here and there.

3. dntrwl

dntrwl Member

I like it cause my dad did and made me play it when I was young!

4. Rockets1616

Rockets1616 Member

Yeah, but playing basketball is a whole different thing. Im talking about watching it, and supporting a team.

5. WildSweet&Cool

off the top of my head....

It's fast-paced.
    It's a good balance of team and individual performance.
    It's a good balance of strategy and physical force.

6. CharlieMurphy

CharlieMurphy Contributing Member

I turned into the Incredible Hulk after that game.

I win.

7. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Because it makes me feel good!
    [​IMG]

8. JuLiO-R-

JuLiO-R- Contributing Member

I saw it on TV a couple of times, and I thought I could do that.

9. Mehdi

Mehdi Rookie

I feel attached to the game because of playing it first hand...i wish i still played for a real team..but i dont know what it is...I just love basketball especially the Rockets..and am so damn superstitious it kinda messes up my life sometimes lol

10. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

I broke a glass table when Francis was ejected for slapping the backboard in that game in Sacramento. Had to pay my parents 200 bucks. I still curse Bill Kennedy in my dreams.

In Game 4 of the Rockets/Lakers series in '04, I shattered my mom's crystal angel figurine after throwing it against the wall.

Mostly after playoff series losses I don't get very angry though. Mostly sulk in my room for 2 or 3 days. It's a weird feeling when the Rockets are knocked out. Surreal. Kind of how I felt after last night's loss.

11. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I punched a tree when we lost game 3 to the Mavs.

12. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Water sucks.

GATORADE

13. Ehsan

Ehsan Member

Well, the reality of it is that you associate the team with yourself for some reason. The reason you become a fan in the first place is because you see something that you would like yourself to have.

After that, you automatically associate yourself with the team/sport. Everything the team does you will judge on a personal basis - whether or not it fits your values. You may want a hard-working team, a cutting edge offensive team or a defensive team. You may not care about winning it all. Alternatively, you may be dissapointed with anything less than a championship.

After the association is made, fans like to take it with them into social groups as a symbol of who they are. Your ideas on what you like, don't like, needs improvement, etc is the case you make for social status in the basketball community.

Many will claim that they don't care what people think, but the reality of it is that if you didn't, then you wouldn't be on the BBS. Over here, you make your case, as well as gather useful information which could be useful to you in multiple ways.

For some, it provides a different identity and allows them to disconnect from their routine life. Putting on the hat and watching the game gives them the feeling that they are not the same person anymore and have joined a new "team".

So when the team loses and you break something, it's because the team losing is the equivalent of you being a loser, and anytime in your life that your brain receives the message "I am a loser" it will react accordingly - usually with anger.

Does that answer your question?

14. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Basketball is my favorite sport
    I like the way they dribble up and down the court

15. meh

meh Contributing Member

I feel this website feeds my addiction. Always been a Rockets fan, but I really think my fanhood picked up a notch when I found this place.

Before, Rockets news came to me once a day(through the chronicle) unless the game's on.

Now, it's 24/7 with more updates on both important and useless.