1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why do the Rockets have a large number of injuries?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Dcab, May 10, 2000.

1. Dcab

Dcab Contributing Member

During the past few seasons Rockets seem to always have players on the injured list. What gives? Is it the style of training they are getting?

Is this norm in the NBA?

------------------

2. SpaceCity

SpaceCity Contributing Member

My theory has always been that we (Houston) are being punished by the Sport Gods for breaking their previous curse on us.

Every since the first Championship, we've battled injuries constantly.

------------------
    RocketFuel is taking the summer off!

3. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

Dcab-
    Good question. My answer would be a combination of age, luck & not being a great team. The age thing is easily explained with CB & Dream getting older. Luck is just one of those things that occurs.
    The winning thing I am referring to is a team that is on a role often has players playing through a lot of minor injuries. Even last year with Pip, Dream & CB we never really looked like contendors and this year we looked like a lottery team for most of the season.
    Especially this year it is easier to let a player fully recover before letting them come back, since there was really nothing to play for. Just my opinion though, because I can't see a prof. training program being too bad.

------------------

4. Dcab

Dcab Contributing Member

4chuckie-
    The thing that really puzzled me is that the Bulls it seems during their championhip runs did not have that long string of injuries. Also look at the Lakers now, even Shaq himself said that he didn't feel this good compared to past seasons. So I guess another question is: Does Phil Jackson employs a special training program for his guys? Remember Quitten's workout program that he and Jordan have which he tried to do here with Dream and Chuck. That would be very interesting to know.

I may be looking more to it than I should, though.

------------------

5. dc sports

dc sports Member

You might already know this, but the Rockets (and many other teams) like to keep at least one player on the injured list. This allows them to add a player or so to the roster, so that they can develop a young player and/or fill in for a real injury.

It's not really legal, but the league looks the other way, because it's really the only way teams can develop young players. Shin splints are a common ailment, since they can linger on, then recover suddenly. It doesn't seem to affect thier ability to practice either.

As to the large number of real injuries...

------------------
    Stay Cool...

6. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

...maybe its the zen-master training...

------------------
    You can't stop F&Brule, you can only hope to contain him.

7. dc sports

dc sports Member

Goodness. F&B rule is getting awards and signatures. He certainly had an impact in the time he was here.

Perhaps he could post on the Titan's web page. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

------------------
    Stay Cool...

8. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

SuperMac,

hilarious sig.