1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why do the Rockets fall for the same girl... I mean Power forward?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jimmyv281, Nov 20, 2012.

1. PuzzledFan

PuzzledFan Member

Ironically, the only power forward we passed on that I really regret is 6'7" and 225. He's playing for Denver . . . There are some I regret not keeping.

1 person likes this.
  2. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

No I was posting about Carl Herrera fit that typical mold of rocket power forwards, however I will say he was one of the best of the group. I think in todays NBA your power forward has to be one of your two or three stars to make a deep run.

3. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

I feel the same way on that pick too. Now that we have Asik I wonder how they would compliment each other, perhaps Asik would play best to a more shooting power forward????

4. MambaJoe

MambaJoe Member

With the mid lotto picks, its not easy finding PF like KG, Gasol, or Blake Griffin. But our new guys like TJones and DMo isn't that type of PF you described. Jones is an all around player who can handle the ball and play above the rim with his athleticism while D-Mo is a 7 footer who has a nice post game as well as good footwork who's also aggressive grabbing the boards.

5. amaru

amaru Member

Scola was an above average starting PF. He wasn't flashy but he was a solid rebounder who had a good post game and nice 15 ft jump shot.

6. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Fixed it for you.

Seriously, there is like 2 guys in the whole league who fit the OPs description, and we're supposed to just grab one?!?
    I can only think of Aldridge, Bosh as the 6'11 "Above the rim" types.
    Then there are the aging stars in Duncan, Gasol, Garnett

The only other 6'11 PFs I can think of are Jason Thompson, Andre Blatche and Amir Johnson.

1 person likes this.
  7. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

I dont think just getting a 6'10 or 6'11 guy is the direction for this current rocket team. I think the future NBA power forward has to be a atheletic guy who can run play above the rim. Its sucks to say that a Royce White with out head issues would have been perfect for this team. If we get another 6'8 power forward he has to be quick move with the ball and not a slow below the rim type player with limited lateral movement like we have been in love with in the past....

8. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Well that's the legacy of Jeff Van Gundy really. Since his days we attempted to correct the 'problem' at the PF spot with a creative scorer (Scola) paired with an athletic/explosive type (Landry).

Various moves were made, the next guy brought in was Patterson, who showcased a nice all-around game at college, and brought us 'real' size and length along with passable athleticism. Morris was next brought in, and he's more of an explosive scorer who goes from outside in.
    I could go on and on - but suffice to say these guys aren't "gundyball" types are they?
    Sure, we might all wish Patterson was a better rebounder, or that Morris was 2 inches taller, but they're not remotely similar in terms of playing style, nor is either player anything like Mark Bryant...

Thread is an attempt to smooth out the varied power forwards we've had over the years by creating an artificial character trait by which to judge them all. Unfortunately even creating the artificial character trait doesn't really work - especially if you look at the current team (3 rookie PFs who don't fit the description in the slightest, and therefore the Rockets aren't going for the 'same girl').

2 people like this.
  9. meh

meh Contributing Member

I'm surprised that tinman hasn't responded yet. :)

But to answer the question, the Rockets kind of rotated with their PF rotation following the trade. I believe Herrera started for a while, but "Chili" Pete Chilcutt eventually became the starter. But certainly Chucky Brown made the bigger impression(at least in my mind) in the post season.

Robert Horry was a matchup play in the NBA finals that year, allowing the Rockets to put 4 3-pt shooters on the court, along with an extra perimeter defender against Orlando. In fact, pretty genius of Rudy T, who ironically was mostly known for his lack of creativity towards the end of his career.

10. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

Great read Dr. Thank you for taking time and responding to the post. I agree perhaps the rockets are starting to see other prototype power forwards ( hot chicks) I think the rockets front office and fan base are about due to finally strike an all star NBA future power forward. I know you probably dont need the rep but I gave you some, it was a good read!

11. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Yeah - I was VERY high on Jones as a potential pick 14 for us midway through last season. Stoked that he fell to us at 18 - the guy just looks like an NBA player.

Either him or Motiejunas are our best bet of having an all-star powerforward on the current roster. But I've never seen Royce White as an NBA player - lacks the athleticism IMO, making him little more than a glorified point guard who can't bring the ball up. Happy to be proven wrong of course! [IF White even plays NBA]

12. meh

meh Contributing Member

Seriously, height is pretty overrated by fans. You know what Kevin Love's height is? He's about 6-8, basically looking just as tall as Derrick "listed 6-8" Williams. And can't play above the rim either. Dwight Howard? 6-9 to 6-10. San Antonio for years guys like Matt Bonner and Robert Horry at PF next to Duncan, and they drafted 6-9 Scola for good measure. Dennis Rodman the biggest, badest rebounder and all-NBA defender was 6-8.

If a player is good, then he's good.

13. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

JVG got this dude to play PF for a while:

[​IMG]

14. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

Is a picture of clarerance weitherspoon next...lol van gundy was really high on him.

15. Moonscope

Moonscope Member

Is that Harden without the beard and Mohawk?

16. Mr Striker09

Mr Striker09 Member

Well if you looked at the past drafts who would you take over those players we drafted? Its not too many people with the skills your looking for on where the rockets been drafting.

17. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

Barkley... 6'3

T_Man

18. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

What made Chucky so good was that he only had to concentrate on defense and rebounding.... He knew his role and that was a major help.

T_Man

19. nono

nono Member

Height is not overrated at all. Gasol, Aldridge and Bosh have all had great games against us. It is partly because our power forwards are too small to guard them.

20. ktbballplaya

ktbballplaya Member

I want jones to stay a rocket for a long time just not as our starting PF.