1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why do so many of you want to break up Francis/Cat?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by 3pointer, Feb 11, 2000.

1. 3pointer

3pointer Member

It seems to me that many of you are either eager to get rid of Cat or are too quick to include him on a deal for some other "quality" player .... my question is why ?
    first of all , Francis and Cat have developed a certain chemistry that eventually could contribute to a championship (see '94 rox, not extremely talented but awsome chemistry), the backcourt of the Franchise and Mobes could just be a terror throughout the NBA for many and I mean many yrs to come ! why break that up ? to me this guys seem to fit like gloves together , if one is not on the other takes the slack for him , they are both super competative and tenatious , they both are winners and hate to loose and love to talk that smack ! they seem to compliment each other very good and both are capable or will be capable of taking over at any given moment , Mobley may never become a "super star" but will be more than just a role player in this league I can see it written all over him.... he is a special type of player too ! , Frachise , well that nic says it all !

I know and realize many of you want to or have sugested trading Mobley for the team sake , so we can either get a better player or a better pick in the lottery but to tell you the truth I think this team has gone through so many changes and has had to start all over again too many times this season that I believe Rudy and CD are not going to make this team relearn each other once again . yeah, during the offseason we WILL see some changes but it may come at the expense of Drew and not Mobes, he is too well liked by the rox organization and we all know how the org. tends to be a little loyal to its favorite players , I think moving Mobes could jeopardize Francis,s future relationship w/the rox.....do we want to upset him that early in his career ? don't think so ! Let them stay together , let them be a terror in this league for yrs to come , let other teams have to choose their poison of either guarding Francis or Mobes ......... Let this 2 guys become so good that other teams back courts would just hate playing them cause they would look like CBA players out there !
    Let them Play Basketball..... let them Play !

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

let me add:

why break up Francis, Cat and Cato. Watch Cato when he is in the game with Cuttino. Cato gets alley-oop eyes. I think this is due to Cuttino and Cat always playing together in practice as the bench team against the starters.

Who else out there sees Cuttino much more effective when Cato is playing with him. The drive-n-dish tandem. Plus, Rogers also helps Cuttino be more effective. Those two: Cato and Rogers are the best on the team at finding a passing seam for a Cuttino drive and dish. Dream and Thomas don't seem to find that seam as well as Cato and Rogers.

Don't take this as a dis on Thomas. I'm just describing that Rogers and Cato find the rim for a pass much better.

[This message has been edited by heypartner (edited February 11, 2000).]

3. Steve Phrancis

Here in Dallas, everyone wanted to let the 3 Jay's play. We'll 2 of them are impact players the other one a journey man. There was a lot of talent, but only after about 12 games there was the break-up.

I really like Mobes and think that in the future he'll be like Ray Allen(with the exception of the hops). He just has a lot of value and if we ever want to compete in the West, we need to be more of a balanced team.

4. rocketsfan34

rocketsfan34 Contributing Member

I can just imagine that. Cuttino passes it to Cat and scores! [​IMG]

5. Steve Phrancis

Doesn't this happen anyway? Or are ill-advised shots called something else?

6. Stone Cold Hakeem

Stone Cold Hakeem Contributing Member

Warning: Abrasive views ahead. Read at your risk.

---------------------------------------------

I'm sick of seeing everyone's lipstick all over Mobley's ass. You know what? Funk Mobley. There, I said it. I hate him (well, I don't hate him personally, he seems like a nice guy and all....but anyways...). I wanna puke everytime he hits the floor. He's all show, folks, no game. If dribbling the ball around forever looking for your own shot while ignoring your teammates constitutes great team player (read: chemistry), count Mobley in. If isolating during a Rockets surge, pulling up for a a nice 18-20 footer with a defender all up your heiney and bricking like a mother, effectively killing all momentum, constitutes superstar, then Mobley's the second coming. If poor judgement and NO shot an all-star makes, then I think Mobely got royally snubbed this weekend....and on and on and on....

Its not that I don't think Mobley's gifted -- he's proven he can score with the lot of them and God knows he got heart -- it just seems like Mobley spend too much time trying to be the MAN. Francis is the man on this team, let Mobley be the man somewhere else. Francis will make new friends, I promise. :)

If I've offended anyone -- sorry. It had to be said.

7. heypartner

Stone Cold,

Welcome back, I haven't seen a post from you in awhile...or is this a different SCH.

Alright, my turn....your comments strike me as someone still in December when Rudy had no second option to go to but Mobley.

Get up to speed, this is a rapidly changing team. Mobley position is changing. The ISOs are down, and he definitely is passing off on about 50% of his ISOs.

Plus, Cato baseline, Thomas on the same wing, with Mobley ISO....IS A CALLED PLAY. Mobley beats his man and looks where the double comes from. If the defense leaves Cato, they're dead, Cuttino always finds him at the rim. Teams lately have been leaving Thomas. That's a more difficult pass if Mobes goes baseline rather than in the lane. He's learning. Can't learn to break down a D without driving.

Besides, Rudy should be blamed for that ISO one if you don't like it. Don't mistake this as Mobley trying to be the MAN. That's old crap...not there anymore. Get up to speed SCH....things are changing every game.

cheers....no offense taken.

8. sirhangover

sirhangover Member

Great thread ...I have to agree with 3pointer here...

I realize you have to give up something to get something..but there are other players we could showcase and then dump and possibly get something in return vs. parting ways with mobley on a whim...or we could not do any deal at all until we sign, resign this summer etc.and have a better idea of what we can and cant do..I know that francis can develop chemistry with any other player as well..but at the same time it does seem that the chemistry that has developed with mobley is already becoming special and could be one of the greatest of all time..seriously...dont you enjoy watching them now?

To me I just dont want to look back when he is 29 hitting his peak and say to myself"we used to have that guy" Thats like seeing an old girlfriend that was always flat chested and chubby..and now has a new silicon rack and has lost some weight...it can be downright depressing...

Mobley is a keeper he and francis(untouchable) to me are the only two that we should close the door on any deal until we at least give it a fair while more time to look at what he is and can be with francis....

so far I think it would be way too early to ship him off for some temporary bullsh*t...some of you guys are ready to trade him for bullsh*t which I dont understand ...WE NEED TO HOLD ON TO THIS GUY...his value will only increase to our team or to the value of trading potential if we keep him and wait until we come to a deal that we cant turn down...

seriously we just cant though with the deals you are talking about ...he and francis are our only really bright future right now...I personally think we should do smaller cap friendly backup type trades...until which time we can get another FA in the offseason...we have more chance there and we wouldnt be jumping the gun too quickly like I think some of you are doing....

9. Stone Cold Hakeem

----> HeyPartner

I can defintely see where your coming from and like I said, Mobley isn't a bad player, not at all. I just get the feeling watching him play that he wants something more than this team can provide for him: a starting role, starter's minutes (which he already gets), a chance to shine -- to be the man. I get the feeling that he'll bolt over the summer and we'll be left with nothing we can get something great for him now. The whole point of my post was simply that Mobley isn't as irreplaceable as everyone thinks. Improved play or no, he still exercises incredibly poor judgement as pertains to shot selection (aside from the fact that he's a streak shooter) and he still looks like he wants to be "da man".

10. heypartner

SCH and Sir

irreplaceable/untouchable

versus

"we can get something great for him now."

SCH--Admit it: both statements are overstated. Yours as well as the one you challenge.

The "bolt" part ... who knows? How much of a possibility to you give that one? I don't think any NBA team under the cap is going to spend that precious caproom on someone making $385K this year. They'll just give them the Middle-Class exception at $2m. That's what we can give him, too. He won't leave....again, another slight overstatement.

Everything else you say is about his play. How can you say he doesn't have game and then say we can get someone great for him in a trade? Really. That's what I don't understand from the Mobley detractors. If you are going to say we can get someone great for him, at least admit that he has game. You can say you don't like his style...that's fine, I won't argue...but don't ride both sides of the fence!

hehe....Don't say I'm not ready for any Mobley bashing!!! I love this guy and his willingness to practice and learn.

Mobley is going nowhere this year!!

11. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

then what about a lineup of francis starting then mobes at the 2 and anderson at the 3.

12. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

How can any Rockets fan hate Mobley? Good Lord, the kid plays with fire, heart and a killer instinct. Yes, he does get over zealous at times, but at least he wants to get the ball in crunch time. He has desire. He will mature and learn more as the years pass. He will learn to play smarter basketball. I think Mobley has a bright future in the NBA....let's just hope that future unfolds in Houston.

13. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

The reason I haven't been posting that much lately is because Heypartner usually says everything I want to say, just better.

14. Steve Phrancis

Let's not forget to mention the pancake flipping.
    There are 3 things that Mobes needs to work on.
    1. Ill-advised shots, when not even looking for the open man.
    2. Errant passes trying to be a Hot Dawg
    3. Pancake flipping in the worst way. It makes me nervous wonder if/when the Ref's are going to give him a call for taking the bus.
      [/list=a]

The only good thing is that he is a VERY hard worker. He got kicked out of the gym many of times last year.

15. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Heypartner,

I don't think any of Mobley's "detractors" are saying "he sucks, let's get something great for him". Of course that doesn't make sense. However, add a 1st rounder to the trade and you have a good player and a fairly high draft pick for a very good player. Mobley's improved his shooting over the past few months, which has made him a better player. He's taking less stupid shots from what I understand. No one on this team outside of Francis is and should be "untradeable". Okay, maybe Hakeem as well, for sentimental reasons. If we can improve our front court and our overall defense by trading Mobley, yup... do it.

------------------
    trade them all and fire the coach.

16. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

Cat reminds of Sam "I am" Cassell when he was a rocket. Too many unforced turnovers and always in a hurry. Slow down and work the defense for a high percentage shot. Sam has turned into one of the best point guards in the league. I am hoping Cat improves as much as Sam has, however he has a long way to go and as DoD has stated, if we can get some front court help for Cat, I am all for it. Trade Him!!!

17. himself

himself Member

stone cold;
    get a life.who are you to say cat has no game?or not good enough?He has more heart then any rocket,since Mario E left this team,and he is playing great for a second year player(along with MD,the best two's in last year draft).He has the ability to have a great all around game,like francis,and along with francis,is the most watchable player on this roster.Names don't win championships,think about it,and you will know how a team wins championship.
    Here are some leads;
    D,GU,Wil,>>>>>
    These are the players that we need to keep,simply because they have it,and they now how to play the game.
    Francis,cat,shandon,cato,thomas
    So quite dreaming,and get real.these are people you are talking about,people who really know how to play,and they can beat anybody,who comes on the way,when the time comes.
    WILL;
    I like your posts.keep up the good work!!!
    See y'll later!!!

18. Stone Cold Hakeem

Everytime I try to step away I get sucked back in....

----->Himself

Let me take a stab at deciphering your post.

Heart'll only take you so far, buddy. Some of the hoopsters hittin' the UH hardcourt 'till the wee hours of the morning have more heart than a majority of the NBA players I've seen (~*cough*~ ~*cough*~ Penny Hardaway ~*cough*~) -- doesn't mean they're quite ready for the prime time. I don't dispute Mobley's heart at all -- its undeniable -- its his judgement that's suspect. Intelligence and floor savvy are just as vital if not more than talent and heart and Mobley has yet to show the faintest signs of either. Granted, he's young and learning but after 1.5 years in the league you'd think his judgement would improve just a little bit.

The rest of your reply was too unintelligeable to respond to. Sorry :-(

Ok, I'm done now. No more Mobley talk. :)

19. himself

himself Member

stone cold;
    you are not in my lead,so don't even try it.
    Intelligence?oh please,take a hike.
    Go to bed,and sleep on it maybe you get what the reality is.
    Have you ever steped on a court?NO
    penny hard.......?you know he won't ever win

20. Stone Cold Hakeem

------> HeyPartner

Don't mistake me. When I say, "We can get something great for Mobley," I'm simply referring to all the supposed attention Mobley's receiving league 'round. I'm NOT saying Mobley has zero talent; perhaps I'd be better understood if I said, "I don't like Mobley's game."

You're right though. The whole Mobley debate is tired -- lets agree to disagree and tuck it into bed.
    :)