1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why do lunch pail Evangelical Christians have lower moral standards for the Presidency?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Carl Herrera, Jun 16, 2019.

1. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

The poll is specifically a political poll that's already asked a bunch of questions about Trump and Democratic candidates. So of course respondents will think about Trump when answering that question. It'd be interesting to see the percentages if you split Evangelical Trump voters from Evangelical non-Trump voters (if there are any). As it is, I don't think it says anything new and useful about evangelicals.

2. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

Well, it's what I see. Plus, atheism doesn't make any logical sense. (Again, if I understand the term as others are using it.)

How can one be certain that there is no creative force/God/whatever you want to call it?

Agnosticism, I get. But the evidence of some creative force is empirically everywhere around us.

As Dachuda86 said, there's a "smugness" is the certainty of their beliefs, which don't hold up even in the briefest analysis.

That smugness then carries over in political beliefs, etc.

I will grant that there is one YouTuber that I like, that says he is an atheist; he is very fair and open minded. It's a rare combination, as far as I can tell.

I think Atheists are basically reacting to the fact that they don't like organized religion, especially as it manifests itself today. But that is a wholly different issue as to whether there is a larger creative force that defies our understanding.

So, in addition to their smugness/arrogance, they don't logic very well. But it's all of a piece.

3. Nook

Nook Member

[​IMG]

4. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

No way. That is haram.... they should be executed.

5. Nook

Nook Member

[​IMG]

6. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Ya bit atheists are less open minded than Muslims right?

7. biff17

biff17 Member

Nobody was fondling them and you are really creepy if that's where your mind goes looking at those interactions.

and how does that jibe with your casting stones mantra?

Why are you casting them?

8. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Many are.

9. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

God your political hackery knows no bounds... lie to yourself but don't expect others to believe you.

10. biff17

biff17 Member

Wait what?

So is it ok to cast stones or not?

Asking for a friend.

11. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Atheism isn't necessarily a monolithic idea. It literally just means you don't believe in deities - and given there is no evidence of deities it's not an irrational deduction.

You can be atheist and still say there is some sort of unexplained force. In fact, physics tells us that there are unknown variables to our universe. The line between science and religion gets pretty blurred at a certain level.

12. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

Uh, I wasn't looking for pity. I don't need to. But it's not surprising that you would interpret it that way.

dachuda86 likes this.
  13. Nook

Nook Member

It's okay man.

BruceAndre likes this.
  14. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

Well, not to derail this thread, but as you suggest, at a certain point, it's very blurry.

So how can one "not believe in a deity" but then think that there is or could be an "unexplained force" -- in fact, what is the difference between the two?

Atheists, it seems to me, are caught in a logical bind -- they "know" there is no deity, but think there could be or is an "unexplained force."

And do they know -- or can they explain how they know -- what the differences between the two categories are?

Again, the smugness. It's really inescapable for anyone claiming to be an atheist.

And, I'm not Mr. Churchgoer -- far from it.

15. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Well, I think it's arrogant for people to create god as a "deity" and assume it is limited in the same way as man.

If there is anything greater, it has to transcend time and space - and if that is the case, than the very idea of "creation" is irrational since that is rooted in both time and space. The idea that there is a thinking consciousness against roots it in time and space. So a deity simply is nonsensical when you think about it logically. It all comes down to how you define a deity, but clearly the way people describe them in history - as the super powerful beings who can do all sorts of miracles and such - doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

16. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

17. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

How did Jesus became white? wasn't he a middle easterner like most of the middle east Muslims today?

18. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Yeah Jesus didn't kill anyone either.
    (Moses did.)

19. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

One of our comrades made this. This can't be real.

20. Exiled

Exiled Member

maybe he looked more like his Dad
    In ME to this day ,the base line is light brown, a shade under is dark,a shade above is white and Europeans considered Red , probably some description of Jesus physical appearance drifted by that..