1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why do Astros always lose to the new kid in town ?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Rox Addict, Jul 14, 2006.

1. Rox Addict

Rox Addict Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Its sickening !! How many times this year have we lost to a first time rookie pitcher. This is getting so annoying :mad: The Astros are Big Leaguers who get paid big bucks yet they can't hit consistently outside Berkman. Roger gave his heart again and made one mistake and the stros can;t score a run ? It just seems that the trend is The Rocket-vs-The New Kid in town and he usually comes up with no run support. I hope there are some deals in the making because we still need some offense.....

2. AggieRocketFan96

Now that you mention it, it does seem like the past couple years that the Astros seemed to be "owned" by rookie pitchers.

But the biggest question is, why can't the Astros score when Roger pitches? What is up with that????? Uncanny how this keeps happening to Roger.

3. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

They've had problems with new pitchers for as long as I can remember.

4. AggieRocketFan96

Remember when a rookie named Kerry Wood struck out 20 Astros in his first month in the big leagues???

5. IC2000

IC2000 Contributing Member

The best and only logical answer has to be the way we scout. Maybe our hitters are not prepared enough

6. Storm Surge

Storm Surge Rookie

face it, the stros aren't good enough. They are not going to make the playoffs, they play in a weak league but sooner or later they are going to have to show some consistency, which they haven't shown since the early season. Everytime they win 2 in a row everyone thinks that that's what's going to kick start the run for them, but they always follow that up with a game like today.

7. Jaingfang

Jaingfang Member

Kinda the same reason why the rockets always loose to the crappy teams whenever the rox are good...

8. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

astros arent thatt good though, but still i know what you're saying....its like when the texans lost to that fitzpatrick guy

9. Jet Blast

Jet Blast Contributing Member

Actually Jim Deshaies mentioned in the broadcast that the Astros are 7-4 against rookie pitchers this year. Better make that 7-5.

10. Ender120

Ender120 Contributing Member

My honest opinion is that the Astros try to do too much when Clemens is pitching. You see a lot of first and second pitch outs because guys are swinging away in hopes of making something happen.

They know that they don't produce enough for Clemens. They hear it from the media and the fans all the time. Plus, Clemens is a pretty intense dude. I think everything factors together and the Astros try so hard to make something happen every time up that they psyche themselves out and make more mistakes than they normally would.

If they took more pitches and made the other guy work harder (especially when it's a damn rookie), they'd see better opportunities and capitalize on them. And Clemens would get his runs.

11. Rox Addict

Supporting Member

Yeah your right...It seems like someone has their career night against the Rockets on almost every lose. You could put Bowen on another team and when he played the Roxs he would score 30 pts !! But look at the Astros they have been pitching good other than Lidge but they can't score a damn run. Roy pitched great last night but if it wasn't for Huff getting that HR we'd be 8 back. 7 games back and 2 1/2 out of the wildcard. And I swear if I hear one more time " we came back two yrs in a row so we will be fine !!" I'm going to go crazy...Roxs look bad for next yr and so do Texans and the Stros are not making the playoffs...this is SAD :(

12. IC2000

IC2000 Contributing Member

Another thing to think about. Nobody remembers when we rough up some rookie pitcher or we beat the hawks. However if you lose, then you always remember. This gives the impression that we "always" do something when in reality we do not.

13. Buck Turgidson

Exactly.

14. Rox Addict

Supporting Member

I think the Hawks beat us once this yr and New Orleans owned us...Sorry teams. Astros should beat a rookie dominated team like the Marlins and there should be no excuses for not sweeping the Cubs coming up next week. We shall See ........

15. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

It's like this. The Rocket is looked upon like a big boss. You know he owns the company and it's in your best interest not to screw up in front of him. You've been doing your job for years and can probably do it blindfolded. Yet, whenever the big boss shows up, you freeze and can't even open that folder that only requires a single click of the left mouse button.

16. Major

Major Member

But in Clemens' last 2 starts before yesterday, we scored 6 and 7 runs. Rookie pitchers are notoriously up and down - look at Buchholz. He has an ERA in the 5s, but he's absolutely dominating in some starts. We just hit a night when the other guy had that kind of day.

17. Gene the PIG

Gene the PIG Member

Yep, the fact of the matter is: We just aren't that good, All-around.

Name a catagory where we are SOLID. Pitching? Hitting? Defense? :confused:

Streaky is the term I'd use.

The starting pitching of Oswald & Clemens is very solid, & that's WITH Clemens not even having total control over his pitches yet. Spotty starts from Taylor & Andy won't cut it. Both could come on though. The bullpen is shaky at best, & you know it to be true. The potential is there, but ... it's not happening, as of yet.

Other than that, we're a .500 team, which is exactly around where we are.

I'm not saying we can't get hot. We've proven in the past that we can, & I hope it happens again. However, it's NOT something that you can bank on. Am I right, or am I right? Soriano or Lee would help immensely. Do we put all of our eggs in one basket yet AGAIN? Trade Hirsh? Pence, or other dudes for a three month player?

Huffy is a nice addition, way better than Ensberg will EVER be, EVER! Good trade.

Ausmus is terrible offensively this year, as is Everett & then the pitchers spot. That's three straight outs every other inning. We can't score runs. The well is dry at the bottom of the order.

We're not that far from being solid enough to challenge for the WC again ... but we're not that far from being The Pirates or The Cubs either, when ya think about it.

We're mediocre.

18. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Since the indication is about bringing in accountability, adding a quality bat to the lineup and hoping the addition of the great Clemens will help the club then YES there SHOULD be an expectation to rough up some rookie pitchers. A quality club like the Cardinals and Red Sox would be expected to at least make them work hard. Astros seemingly dont. If not rookies who ARE they expected to beat, Pedro Martinez and Chris Carpenter?

Combination of them being a not-too-good ballclub, quality rookie outings, and them pressing with Roger starting. Its not so much an embarrassment when its Nelson Liriano or someone good. Some 4th starter on the Royals shouldnt make a playoff contending club look like minor leaguers though.. But the Yankees have had their troubles with Tampa Bay over the years so maybe its just one of those things...

19. Gene the PIG

Gene the PIG Member

Maybe I should talk some crap about the bottom of the order EVERY day?

12-0

We're on FIRE, I tells ya! :rolleyes: ;)

20. Rox Addict

Supporting Member

Well Everett went 4-4 and Ausmus 3-4 tonight and look at how we did...12 runs scored. Its a simple game and we beat a rookie pitcher. You Hit, run , and catch...Once the Stros figure this out they might be okay...