1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why Didn't the Rockets Play to Their Strength

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by daoshi, Apr 22, 2013.

1. dexkk

dexkk Member

just start delfino at the four and live and die by the three.

2. HTownTmac1

HTownTmac1 Member

i agree.. except i would start jones over smith.. and i have a feeling if jones would of got more playing time alot sooner then he would of been the starter in the playoffs

3. Rocket Addict

Rocket Addict Contributing Member

That's not the point. I'm not saying DMo is the answer but you have to play with a stretch 4 on offense against the Thunder, and it wouldn't hurt to try him for a few minutes off the bench. If not, you'll allow both Perkins and Ibaka to do nothing but patrol the paint, which allows OKC to not just shut down the lane with shot blocking but also contest more 3 point shots.

4. Panda23

Panda23 Member

if smith cant finish inside (bobbled passes) then put dmo in. the man is paper thin but goddamit he has some sexy spin moves. Need to put this team in a position for Harden/Lin to explode. we arent winning shiieett otherwise

5. Panda23

Panda23 Member

We should be enjoying this as well. Baptism of fire going against OKC with the most inexperienced team in playoff history. We're just outmatched by a championship contender. No shame in that...

6. TriCkz

TriCkz Member

Didn't we start Dmo in our win against them this season?

7. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

The Rockets have always had trouble scoring in the half court game. If the other team stops their running game, they are exposed.

Back when we had Patterson and Morris, we could still play some drive and kick and pick and pop that could be effective. Now, we have Lin, Parsons, Delfino (small ball), and Beverley. All of these guys are wildly inconsistent shooters. When they are hot, we are quite unstoppable. But when they are bricklayers, we don't have much chance.

8. Hilarious

Hilarious Member

Funny how you get offended when someone is comparing Smith with Thabo (who you think is vastly superior) while you yourself are comapring a 10 ppg player with a 4ppg one..:confused: (to be more precise Perkins would have to play 48 mins to produce Omer's offensive production, which is not great by no means but come on..Perkins??)

9. daoshi

daoshi Contributing Member

I've never said Perkins is better or worse than Asik, but we all know that they are offensive liability, will be ignored when 10ft away from the basket. The same is true with Smith. Thabo is a different story, you have to guard him even when he is at 3pt line. Why I even argue this with you.

10. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

They tried. They just kept missing.

11. daoshi

That's exactly my point. With both Smith & Asik starting, the Rockets gave up what they do the best, spread the floor, swing the ball from side to side, and drive & kick. You are not going to stop an OKC team, so why don't try your best shot, an all-out offense. You might have a chance if your get hot from outside, and they miss some shots at the same time.

The Rockets won the only game against them by out scoring them, not defending them.

12. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

why not. Anything but what I saw game one.

13. daoshi

You still have to stick with it, the shots will come and go, it's too late now to second guess what you have been doing the entire season.

You live & die with what brought you here.

14. daoshi

Sorry, I meant Ibaka vs. Smith, not Sefolosha.

15. cw3k

cw3k Member

Simple. McHale =/= D'Antoni. D'Antoni has a system. McHale does not.

16. New

Lin's game last year was not run and gun at all. After a regular season, I blame mchale for not developing many plays for the team.

17. New

This. It has been a season and we still have no system. I am not having any hope that we are going to have a system next year.

18. kmart9419

kmart9419 Contributing Member

Perkins was the center for a championship celtics team that was top in defense. Don't underestimate him.

19. kmav23

kmav23 Rookie

They are defending the 3... hard... they are too long...

we need someone who can score inside,,,,

the only player is DMO....post him up... if they double kick out

20. cw3k

cw3k Member

Unfortunately, McHale does not like DMo. We, as fans know DMo has potential, unfortunately, McHale push his personally feeling in front what is best for the team.

We have no mid-range, that's one of the reason why we cannot complete. Beside the lay up and the 3, nothing.