1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why didn't Orlando Take Lowry? Regrets?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by yobod, Mar 4, 2009.

1. yobod

yobod Member

It seems like Orlando could've exchanged their 1st round pick for Lowry without us being involved. I understand they wanted an experienced veteran PG to lead the team while Nelson is out, but Nelson wont be out very long. Rafer is their insurance for the playoffs it seems but they're young and should be looking for long term solutions.

Lowry could be their back up PG for years to come, they're a very young team and Lowry could've developed with their core of guys. If I were Orlando, I would've wondered why Morey wanted Lowry so bad. It seems like Morey always gets the better end of deals. I think Orlando screwed the pooch on this one.

I wonder if Orlando has any regrets

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Nah, Rafer will be a good backup to Nelson once he comes back.

DD

3. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

In my opinion, perhaps they are thinking short term right now. Although they are young, their season is going surprisingly well. I mean we all knew they were a good team, but how many people would have guessed their record this year? How many would say that they could repeat the same level of winning again next?

I believe they'll be a good team for years to come, but perhaps they are really trying to maximize their chances for this year. It's the best they've looked in a long time. I don't know...just my guess.

4. Artesticles

Artesticles Member

Nah. What they should regret is the fat contract they gave to Rashard Lewis.

5. acshen

acshen Contributing Member

Unlike houston, people in orlando were talking championship. Management didn't want the fans to think they were giving up on this season.

6. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

3pt shooting

7. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

the same guy who basically stated while he was here that he was the starter and if he wasn't he would likely want to be traded? doubtful.

8. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

They are delusional. The only player on that team who is able to create on offense in playoffs is Hedo. Rashard is a waste and Dwight is a finisher, not an initiator.

If a team led by Hedo wins an NBA championship, and that team happens to be Orlando magic, McGrady should just shoot himself.

Orlando Magic went with Rafer because Stan Van Gundy has wet dreams about Rafer Alston. This is the same guy who recommended Rafer to Jeff Van Gundy when he was in Toronto. As long as Gundy brothers are in coaching business, Rafer Alston can always look forward to starting for an NBA team.

9. TesseracT

TesseracT Member

Like Rafer can shoot the three?

lol

10. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

There is a difference between Rafer backing up Nelson and backing up AB.

11. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

you go ahead and tell yourself that. I don't think rafer cares who he is backing up, he cares about starting.

12. Shaud

Shaud Member

Well pretty sure that Orlando team is way different from back when T-mac was leading them.

But anyway Rashard Lewis is far from a waste.

13. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

The three-way deal also let Orlando dump Brian Cook's bloated deal, which includes a (likely-to-be-picked-up) $3.5M player option for next year. Better to have a useful player with a $5.25M expiring contract than a scrub with a $3.5M expiring deal.

14. Shaud

Shaud Member

Well there is a huge difference in the situations. Lets not act like Rafer has been a starting PG his whole career.

15. yobod

yobod Member

I think their management acts in a very knee jerk manner. Nelson goes down for a few months so they pulled not one, but two trades to bring in Tyrone Lue, and Rafer Alston. Giving up two players and a 1st round pick. Once Nelson comes back they'll have four veteran point guards.

-Nelson
    -Alston
    -Lue
    -Anthony Johnson

The Rashard Lewis deal is another example, no other team would've offered anywhere near $120Mil. Also their draft pick a few years ago, Fran. They didn't bother to even ask him if he had any intention of playing in the U.S. before they went ahead and drafted him with like the 7th pick. What a waste.

16. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

I dont care what Rafer thinks, neither will the coaches. At this point in time, he was a better starter for Houston than AB was. Nelson will be a better starter than Rafer for Orlando. Once Nelson is back, Rafer will come off the bench... Do you honestly believe that the team will allow Rafer to start because he wants to?

17. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

You're right, but he has been for the past 5 or 6 years.

18. Brotha Ishtar

Brotha Ishtar Member

cause they knew we were just "giving up on the season." I love that. Morey probably told them that. I love Rafer, but its going to be funny watching the reaction Magic fans have when he goes 2-11 from three in the playoffs.

Its so nice to have a GM you can count on to make sound decisions. Is there any doubt that we will eventually win a ring while he is running the show? The amount apparent 1 sided deals this guy has made is just amazing. This deal, besides the Scola deal, migt turn out to be the most lopsided deal he's made if Lowry keep progressing on his current pace. Love it.

19. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Did I SAY he was going to start? No, I didn't. Re-read the original post, DD said he would be a good back up for Jameer. In the technical sense that is true, he WOULD be a good back up. The question is will he sign on for it? I don't think he'll be too happy about it.

20. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

This has been my problem with all the love for the trade on the Magic's behalf by national analysts. Jameer Nelson was awesome this year. Replacing him with anything short of him, means the team is worse. Better than replacing him with a zero? Sure.

But even with Jameer, you still have to consider the Magic, at best, the 3rd best team in the East and the 5th best team overall (I rank a healthy San Antonio higher). Without Jameer, but with Rafer, yes, you now have that shot at winning a round, or two, in the playoffs, but I don't think championship, personally, is likely.

I'm not saying give up on your closest chance in a while, but you do have to wonder Orlando couldn't have found a better stopgap solution that still gave them that somewhat long-term win it all shot, but also would make a better back-up for the team in the years to come. I guess you could argue that Kyle Lowry is not that player - in that he is way too young and inexperienced to use as a 30 mpg+ starter for a hopeful deep playoff run.

I was never a big Rafer fan, but I think he is even less valuable as a backup.