1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why did McNair build a retractable roof?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by LonghornFan, Nov 19, 2012.

1. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

Have they officially said that they are staying with turf? I think everyone assumes they are. The sliding field system in Arizona is the absolute best system. NRG just had 0 room to work with. It's surprising they can fit what they did in between Kirby and the dome. Foresight would have been tearing down the dome after the Astros moved out and then build an entertainment complex anchored by a stadium like we're seeing more and more of. That just wasn't possible for obvious reasons with the unwillingness to demoloish the dome and Astroworld still taking up much of the parking area. That space issue is also why the stadium is shaped like a giant arena. It couldn't possibly be any skinnier. It just seems like such a wasted space.

By the way, have you guys seemed the plan for the retractable roof on the Atlanta stadium? It's really dumb and needlessly complicated. It reminds me of the Montreal roof which opened like an umbrella. Each section of the roof is just sliding but they all have to come together and move along side each other. I've never seen 8 pieces make up a retractable roof. I think Miller Park has 6 pieces but they have 2 stacks of 3 panel pieces in the same way that MMP has one big section and two smaller segments under it.

[​IMG]

#121 Brando2101, Nov 29, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2016
    Tha_Dude likes this.
  2. J.R.

J.R. Member

Hey, thing still works! ...I think. :rolleyes:

:D

donkeypunch likes this.
  3. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Why not? Roof was opened for the last SB in Glendale.

Makes for better overhead shots.

4. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

They open it up at halftime of the Piney Woods game every year.

It's a beautiful place to watch a game at night with that roof open.

RocketTOOL likes this.