1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why CAN'T this Team Win as Many Regular Season Games as the 2014-15 Squad?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dharocks, Oct 23, 2016.

1. roslolian

roslolian Member

1)This thread is specifically discussing the Rockets' chances of repeating their WCF game record a few years back, we don't care if Portland or Denver has a much harder time to win games in general point is it will be easier for Rox to reach the WCF now than their first run before so I don't know why you're talking in generalities but avoiding the entire topic of the thread. I mean at the end of the nobody nobody really remembers how many games you win it's how far you can get in the playoffs so really 50-55 wins it's all the same thing as long as you get a 1-4 seed that should be enough to have a good chance to get to the WCF. Hell, as long as the Rox avoid the 8th seed and see GSW in the first round they should reach 2nd round at least.

2) Rox reached the WCF not last year, but the year before that. In comparison to last, last year the West was way better then because the superstars and stars haven't been concentrated on the Spurs and GSW yet so Portland had LMA/Lillard etc and a lot of teams were younger back then so guys like Randolph, CP3, Dirk etc were better. Dallas' defense didn't really improve significantly because Tyson Chandler is already a good defender so adding Bogut was like a lateral change from back then, Barnes has been playing horribly he clearly is not used to being the 1st or 2nd option on the team and has lost his shooting touch. While I make fun of Portions for being a role player when healthy he has shown to be way better than someone like Barnes so this is clearly a step down for them esp. when you realize before they also had Monta as the 3rd option now they have Wesley Matthews.

3) Very few teams reach 60 wins regardless, last year only Spurs and Warriors reached 60 wins so you're not saying anything new and even the WCF rockets didn't win 60 games they just won 56 games. That's very doable because the Rox should be the 3rd or 4rth best team in the West.

2. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

This team like many other Mauri teams is built for the regular season only to be found out come playoff time. Ultimately what matters to Murray is we have the 3rd winningest record over the last 10 years in the regular season. And this team is built for regular season success and playoff duds.

3. ricardo1979

ricardo1979 Member

As of right now I have us
    As of right now I have us the 4th or the 3rd best team in the west. Depending on what the Clippers do I think our offense alone will get us an top 4 seed.

4. WilliamGCash

WilliamGCash Member

I mean, I wish last season didn't exist as well.....

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Why can't they? Overall lack of talent and serious health concerns for half the team.

6. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Crap.

That means it will be *more* than 1/2 the team once we resign DMo?

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

If, and yeah.

8. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Because we have:

Less depth
    Weaker rebounding
    Weaker defending
    Weaker shot creating

Mr. Clutch likes this.
  9. mkahanek

mkahanek Member

Eh. A lot of it depends on intangibles like locker room and chemistry. If the guys are happy and there is a good comradery and health issues leave us alone we could maybe slip into the mid 50's. Don't underestimate mindset and chemistry. With all that was going on last season I am shocked we crapped the number of wins we did.

10. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

The 2014-15 team suffered a ton of injuries themselves, and the guys who stepped in weren't exactly all-world talents.

That year Bev missed 26 games, Jones (who you hate and probably wouldn't consider 'talent') missed 49 games, Papanikolau (an early contributor before we got Smith) missed a ton of games and then racked up DNPs, and Dwight missed half the season.

Jason Terry and Isaiah Canaan started 27 games. Eric Gordon, whatever his faults, is lightyears better than those two.

Dorsey and Tarik Black started 29 games and played 1347 minutes for that team. Are they better than NenĂª? Dwight started only 41 games and wasn't terribly effective when he did play. Are you so low on Capela that you don't think he can reasonably approximate what Dwight did when he played that year (when he posted a -1.2 BPM and a 1.96 RPM, vs. Capela's 0.5 BPM and 2.06 RPM last year)?

Whatever your feelings about Ryan Anderson, I doubt you'd disagree that he's a much better player and fit than T-Jones. So honestly? It sounds like in your mind, the one big difference is D-Mo. Which... I guess explains your position.

But still! If you believe that Harden will bounce back with an MVP-caliber season, and if you believe that chemistry issues played a huge role in last years dumpster fire season, it just seems less and less outlandish. Especially if you agree that the West is weaker, and that our coaching staff is better.

11. REEKO_HTOWN

I believe 2014-15 was the anomaly. 2015-16 kinda proved that.

12. dharocks

Unless we win 50-55 games this year, in which last year was the anomaly. Are you willing to take me up on my tipjar bet offer from the other day?

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The difference is that this roster has one star and a bunch of injury prone role players. Another difference is that this team has no defense whatsoever. I'm just against the way it's built....which is made worse due to not having DMo for depth.

Anderson, Gordon, Nene, Beverley are all players likely to miss at least 20 games and there's piss poor depth behind them. The reason the 2014-2015 team was able to overcome injuries was due to that depth.

No defense and no depth is a poor recipe for success....but it's what we're rolling with.

14. REEKO_HTOWN

$30. Whats your o/u?

15. dharocks

Deal is void if Harden has 20 or more games missed, or if Anderson and Gordon combine for 140+ games played. Fair for both of us, I'd say.

REEKO_HTOWN likes this.
  16. REEKO_HTOWN

UNDER UNDER UNDER.
    Lock it in.

dharocks likes this.
  17. PeppermintCandy

As others have said, the lack of depth is going to be a big issue. As the season wears on, the starters will wear down if they're asked to take on too much.

Also, I don't see a lot of toughness and/or experience in the frontcourt. Playing a fast-tempo game will compensate for that somewhat, but probably not enough to do damage, especially in the postseason.

The Rockets front office insists that defense will not be a problem, but we'll see.

At this point, I see this team as a lower playoff seed, and getting to the second round may be its ceiling.

18. Wolverrines

Wolverrines Member

I think it is the lack of defense from last year plus d'antoni disregard of it. Plus the last two coaching stints for D'antoni. Plus NBA experts and Vegas (I think the line is at 41.5 wins) but they tend to get things wrong from time to time and if think they will be wrong the rockets.

51 wins is what I'm thinking but I doubt they get to 56. Just don't trust D'antoni and you can't rely on Eric and Ryan staying healthy

19. REEKO_HTOWN

this is why

J.R. likes this.
  20. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member