1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can former Rocket Eric Gordon and the Suns bounce back against the Timberwolves? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Why aren't spot-free rinses ever spot free?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Major, May 29, 2002.

1. Major

Major Member

2. Buck Turgidson

Wrinkle-free pants. What a joke.

3. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

You don't go to a Laserwash do you? I've never had nothing but an awesome wash at those places. There's one at Riverside just east of I-35 or at William Cannon between Manchaca and South 1st.

4. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

It's too bad, it's stupid
    Too late, so wrong, so long
    It's too bad, we had no time to rewind
    Let's walk, let's talk

5. x34

x34 Member

Hard water.

I think the results depend on how effective their "spot-free" system is at removing the minerals from the water...

6. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Yes, Major, and that reminds me: Why does my wife make me scrub the dishes before putting them in the dishwasher, and they still come out with spots on them that I have to clean?

Well?

7. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Why do you drive on a parkway?

A spot free rinse depends on a very precise chemical mixture in which the "spots" have a greater affinity for being in a liquid phase than the intermolecular forces between said "spots" and the surface of an object. Chemical decomposition of important components, improper dillusion, solution not well mixed, and that it is dificult to get 100% of the "spots" to remain in the aqueous phase under ideal conditions lead to this.

Hard water is a big reason in Austin.

8. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

Buy a new dishwasher, or hire one.

Or try Jet Dry. Overall, nothing will leave your dishes spot-free unless you wash and dry them by hand, which would save you time considering you are pre-washing them, then they run the cycle in the dish washer, then you are rubbing spots off afterwards. Hard water sucks.

9. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

I think a few people have been hitting the Seinfeld reruns a little too hard...

10. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

2 words,.....................................

WHO CARES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

11. DEANBCURTIS

DEANBCURTIS Member

Maybe you should get a new wife. ;)

12. Major

Major Member

Wrinkle-free pants. What a joke.

Buck: Yes they are.

You don't go to a Laserwash do you? I've never had nothing but an awesome wash at those places. There's one at Riverside just east of I-35 or at William Cannon between Manchaca and South 1st.

RM95: I may have to try one of those.

Hard water.

x34: Then they shouldn't tell me its spot free!

Yes, Major, and that reminds me: Why does my wife make me scrub the dishes before putting them in the dishwasher, and they still come out with spots on them that I have to clean?

heyp: Another excellent question.

A spot free rinse depends on a very precise chemical mixture in which the "spots" have a greater affinity for being in a liquid phase than the intermolecular forces between said "spots" and the surface of an object. Chemical decomposition of important components, improper dillusion, solution not well mixed, and that it is dificult to get 100% of the "spots" to remain in the aqueous phase under ideal conditions lead to this.

JoeJoe: see my comment to x34.

WHO CARES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sonics GM: I do :p

I actually posted this question after getting my usual carwash, knowing that when I go driving again, my car will be full of spots. :mad: :( :) :D

13. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I'm going to have to disagree with Hangout Boy. Unless there's just some light dirt on my car, those touch free/Laserwash car washes suck big willy. They leave my car with a thinner film of dirt than before, but the dirt is still there. Of course I also drive a black car, so maybe that's why I notice it. Those places are good if you have a lot of dust on your car as opposed to dirt and grime from the most recent rain.

Little known fact... most car washes recycle the water they use. So maybe that's why your car has spots... your rinse cycle has the dirt and soap from the water used to wash the car in the first place. :D

14. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Oh, the other thing I hate about these washes... those damn jet engines they have at the end of the track to dry you off rarely accomplish what they're supposed to do. My car's still dripping all over. Anyway, that's why I take it to the local car wash were I can watch it being beat to death, rinsed, and gently dried by really nice people. I pay about $9 for that vs. about $4 - $5 for ye-ol'-bs-wash at Exxon.

15. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

Geez, you twenty-something, single, lonely guys are LAZY! Doesn't anybody wash their cars by hand anymore? I always have, and always will. Sure, it takes a little longer, but it's cheaper, cleaner, and SPOT FREE!

:D:D

16. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

I always wash my car by hand.

If its worth doing, its worth doing right - and those automated car washes would screw my car up somethin' fierce.

17. drapg

drapg Member

if i had my own house, i might consider it... but its just so much easier to go into a laser wash to get it done... only thing i hate abot the laser wash near my home (wells branch area) is that the description of the cheapest wash says "no air dry" from those GIGANTIC dryers at the end of the wash... but whenever i buy the car wash, those stupid things come on trying to dry my car!!! since i own a convertible, it is VERY BAD for the roof... so i have to speed through the end of the wash to keep my roof from getting strained! ugh!

18. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

It ain't cheaper if you think "time = money" gramps. :D
    If I owned a house, I'd probably do it by hand, too... then again, maybe not. lol.