1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why are the Rockets the only team held to the Golden State standard?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by pmac, Dec 8, 2017.

1. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

I haven't really gotten worked up about former players and analysts not liking the Rockets. No big deal, everyone has an opinion. But, I just find it weird that all anyone wants to talk about is that we can't beat the Warriors. The Warriors are the most stacked team in NBA history, they're favorites to win it all...no one is expected to beat them. But, when the Celtics or Cavs or even Thunder are discussed, it's just about how good they are in reference to the whole league.

I would like to say that it means people think they're the only team that can challenge them but that's not the feeling I get.

2. Raider17

Raider17 Member

Because the Rockets still "owe" Barkley 3 million

3. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

Because Barkley is fat

4. Elephant810

Elephant810 Member

5. bongman

bongman Member

Because they are running out of reasons to justify their narrative and the only thing left are the champs.
    I look at it as if it was like boxing. As a contender, even if you've proven that you can beat the champ, you still have to take the belt to be the best. Until we get that ring, things won't change.

saleem, ghettocheeze, cbs1507 and 2 others like this.
  6. nabil474

nabil474 Member

It's that rooted biased rockets hate. Charles being owed 3 mill, Kenny NOT getting the job over Mike Dantoni...

ghettocheeze, CCity Zero and vince like this.
  7. theimpossibles1

It's because we are the only team who realistically can beat them. It's a sign of respect.

Cavs and Celtics are in the East so media treats that as a bubble. Plus the Cavs did beat the Warriors more recently (playoffs) than any other team.

Thunder just aren't good enough (yet at least) to enter that conversation.

ghettocheeze likes this.
  8. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

That's how you talk about a good team that you don't like, and want to see fail.

You feel forced to mention their positives, but the majority of what you say is talk about their flaws and how they will fail.

The talk about BOS, OKC and Lebron is different and includes excitement, possibilities and potential, because it's a story they like.

saleem, Cash Cam, roslolian and 13 others like this.
  9. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

The Rockets just aren't sexy. They're led by this mercurial weirdo in James Harden who doesn't seem like he's working all that hard even when he drops 35 points and 10 assists, and they're coached by this self-satisfied, outsider journeyman with a gimmick offense who flopped in New York and LA and never made it to the Finals after years of this stuff. Nobody on the team is soaring through the air or flashing a megawatt smile. They play a style that suggests they think they know something that you don't, even though all of the key people have had high-profile failures (of character, one suspects) in the playoffs. If they aren't wearing your city's name on their chest, what's to believe in?

In summary, Rockets 'til death

10. Richie_Rich

Richie_Rich Member
    Supporting Member

They're forced to go off script and talk about the Rockets because they currently hold the best record in the West, ahead of the most stacked team (and media darlings) of the last 30 years.

This angers them to no end so they feel justified in throwing shade every chance they get.

It's pretty comical and I'm enjoying it.

For those posters too young to remember, during the Clutch City run players like Mario Elie, Robert Horry and Sam Cassell relished the media disrespect. They wore it like a badge of honor, and it fueled their underdog identity during those memorable postseason runs.

Man, I do miss the good ol' days.

11. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

It's just weird though. Obviously, I disagreed with Barkley's Steph/Klay vs Harden/CP3 comment but if you compare their top 4 talent against anyone else's top 4 talent, the GSW always look better. I mean are Kyrie/Horford better than Steph/Durant ?

I feel like it takes some of the fun out of the Rockets' great season. Like, if the Rockets lose in a closely contested WCF to the warriors it will be seen as a big problem but when Lebron and the Cavs lose to them he's seen as a saint.

12. c1utchfan925

c1utchfan925 Contributing Member

It's pretty comical when you see Barkley's mind start to try to pull his "evidence" to attempt to poorly support his statements. I get it, he gets paid to say what other's don't agree with but I love how he goes off into a completely different topic. He's on TV and they only have a specific amount of time to talk. His spot needs to be swapped out for someone who has his own opinions and that can support it effectively without taking the entire segment to answer ONE question.

I love the GS standard, Paul/Harden vs Curry/Thompson. If both are healthy I think its pretty damn even, both combo's offer different strengths to each's respective team. What GS has over us is Durant and Green. If only Barkley could just maybe use those 2 or other reasons to back up his statement. WE GET IT YOU DON'T LIKE HARDEN.

It's getting pretty old though, this team does do well in the regular season but I really enjoy how everyone discounts Harden and labels him a choker in the playoffs. Did he not help the team to the WCF a few seasons ago? Yes he didn't have the best of series then but it's not for lack of trying. He was too dependent on drawing fouls but has since developed his game to not solely depend on drawing fouls. Did everyone forget DURANT? He was really hated on before he finally won MVP because he played just like HARDEN (well without the "I could care less about defense" attitude) by depending on drawing fouls and not playing through the non-calls. I swear the media has a short memory.. the Rockets are a clear number 2 under GSW but no props given because we don't sell a good story.

13. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I agree. I felt like they were looking for a reason to tear down the Rockets. Obviously the Warriors are still the favorite. I think they must be passive-aggressively reacting to the attention the Rockets have been getting nationally during their streak.

ghettocheeze, Deuce, s3ts and 3 others like this.
  14. tmactoyao

tmactoyao Member

nothing but facts here by OP. 5 star thread

the passive-aggressiveness is astounding. barkley just hates us cause he hasn't got paid, but Shaq? i don't know what's wrong with him.

hell, besides these "analysts," you can even go to fans over social media and see the same thing.

ghettocheeze likes this.
  15. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Only revenue left. Who else can they compare the Rockets to, in their attempt to dismiss the Rockets? OKC?

16. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Barkley actually said Paul doesn't add anything, doesn't make us better, we are the same.

The whole 48 minutes of HOF PG thing is huge. He's not grasping that like many other writers are.

And that's what also makes Paul/Harden better than klay/Curry. I thought that comparison was stupid, because Klay can't run or carry a second unit. You can talk all you want about how Klay fits with their system, but GSW can't and doesn't actually run their system all 48 minutes, like we do now. We now arguably have the better bench due to 48 minutes of real MDA system ball, which is a huge point to make...that other writers are seeing.

I expected him to say Durant/Curry instead, who you can stagger like Paul and Harden...but GSW can't really run their patented system for 48 minutes like we can, they win with talent ... not system...over us.

#16 heypartner, Dec 8, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
  17. YallMean

YallMean Member

Because they are butt hurt. Not long ago they (all of them) were high on OKC and predicting us going to be a burst. Now, they look so stupid, so they are coming up new stuff to minimize their stupidity. I am fine with saying Golden State is the defending champ, so we need to prove ourselves. But after such a big win over Utah in SLC, this was what they had to say ... that we are not as good as GS ... stupid.

18. Le$$

Le$$ Member

Kenny Smith talks about rockets, they had good teams. even that team with yao and artest that took Lakers to 7 games was scary. But they are never gonna get the respect they need until they get to the finals. But the teams you mention have been to the big show Cavs, celtics, Thunder, spurs. Houston has to get to the finals, and knowing that the warriors who are the Most Stacked team ever in the Nba, Houston really has no chance so, they kinda take it like its pointless to discuss, or if they get into it they will just say warriors in 6, nobody seems to take houston side. So Houston has to get Lebron obviously to join next year for people to take them 100% serious. I just think this year if they continue the good record, they will be people out there doubting and saying 7 games maybe? or no? and Charles reminded everyone that the teams they are beating are not Gsw in a week. So i get his picture.

19. Vivid

Vivid Member

Because they're the team Houston deserves, but not the one the media needs right now. So they will hunt them. Because they can take it.

We know who they are, so why give an f who the slow learners are? We still have 59 games of education left.

You only get compared to the best when you start showing qualities worthy of that comparison. I don't mind it. Bring on everybody!

#19 Vivid, Dec 8, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
  20. YallMean

YallMean Member

But they are not saying that about any other "good" teams. They may have criticism against BOS, CAV, SAS, but you would never hear them dismiss those teams after a big win in Utah like tonight.

Two things:
    They have a disdain on Dantoni; and
    They have a disdain on Harden

saleem likes this.