1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why Are Most Protesters Leftists?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Rocketman1981, Jan 12, 2017.

1. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

WTF do you mean? Brownshirts marched in rank and file, carrying rifles and Nazi flags.

Don't diminish the evils of history with carelessly ignorant comments, Stalin!

(See what I did there, Osama bin Laden?)

2. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

If you really think the civil rights movement was useless then honestly, I'm speechless. Not sure what to say to you.

Not sure how you expect people to be heard who didn't have a voice. If it weren't for that movement, nothing would have been done. When white america was polled then they thought race wasn't even an issue and that everything was fair and equal. The protest made it be known that people were angry, fed up, and tired of being shat on. It seems like for you, your who MLK was against like it or not.

It seems all you are concerned about is order first and foremost. I support protests, just like the founding fathers. Peaceful protests mainly but sometimes **** is REALLY bad and people either bend over and take it or do something about it. Protestors are much more passionate about things than you think. This idea that protestors ONLY protest is pretty silly.

Pretty simplistic look on it don't you think? Southern democrats were an issue (just like southern republicans) but don't forget what happened AFTER the passing of the civil rights act and which party continued to want to divide by race. Yes, the southern strategy. You really can't just ignore it.

3. Dei

Dei Member

Ah yes, certainly the people harassed and threatened with violence are certainly the bad guys. A very sane outlook.

4. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

Yea cause that's what i said :rolleyes:. Spare everyone your dishonesty.

Incorrect. Southern Republicans were not the problem as there were practically none. Georgia, Alabama, Missiissippi, Louisanna, South Carolina (the deep south) was all Democrats and 0 Republicans.

Yes the democrats, with the Ku Klux Klan. Even today, its Obama who tries to divide this country by race. No republicans. 'hands up, dont shoot' was you liberals. not republicans.

The southern strategy has been debunked million times over. Still liberals preach it....

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/10/magazine/10Section2b.t-4.html

http://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2013/04/the-southern-strategy-debunked-again.php

http://dailycaller.com/2015/04/30/spiro-agnew-baltimore-and-the-myth-of-a-southern-strategy/

Dei likes this.
  5. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Well...maybe you just mean current day civil rights protest...but when it is brought up here is your response...

Did you not just say this? Do you no understand that the Civil Rights Movements was a series of protests? The only dishonesty here is that you've just said that the Civil Rights protests were meaningless and useless. So I'll ask you point blank.

Do you really think the marches, sit ins, various protests were useless?

Actually there were some and their views on it weren't very different. It really didn't matter that they were all democrats, it seems many modern conservatives seem to forget that they swapped parties after the civil rights fight.

I could quote you a few pretty racist quotes from GOP politicans, Obama saying "Trayvon could have been my son." would rank pretty damn low on the list there for obvious reasons.

You realize it is an ADMITTED strategy right? I mean, it's a nice attempt to try and say it is a myth...harder to say it's a myth when the people doing it at the time admitted to doing it.
    http://thenewyorker.typepad.com/online__georgepacker/files/dividing_the_democrats1.pdf

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9C04E6DF1E30F935A35753C1A9639C8B63
    That's Lee Atwater, sure you've heard of the name.(Although not mentioned in any of those articles 'debunking' it.)

Your partisanship is blinding you man. The GOP has played a big role in dividing the country by race the past 100 years.

#65 JayGoogle, Jan 14, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2017
  6. tallanvor

no i didn't. you dishonestly claim that having a problem with pubic protests means you dont approve of the civil rights movement which makes you a dishonest ass.

false. not a single republican in the deep south.

was this one:

LEE ATWATER?!?!?! OMG! all voting history says otherwise but you got lee ****ing atwater. the Ku Klux Klan, Jim Crow Laws, Civil War, screw it, you got lee atwater. How about HArry Reid above, does he trump the godly lee atwater?

BTW have you read what lee atwater actually said? you might want to. What liberals claim he said was totally bullshit. but thats no surprise coming from your mountain of bullshit. So the entirety of the democrats claims to racism stems from a misinterpreted quote from the 60s of lee atwater. awesome.

#66 tallanvor, Jan 14, 2017
  7. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Did you not just say that the protests were virtuous BUT misguided and useless? Did you just not say that? I asked you a simple question and you again refused to answer it.

Do you really think the marches, sit ins, various protests were useless?

Realize how I said Southern GOP and not 'Deep South'. Seems to be a pretty convenient line drawn for you. Also, how many of them remained "Democrats" through their lifetimes? Yeah. No, they didn't. They swapped over, because parties adopt political ideologies and not the other way around. You can continue to pretend that the Dixiecrats are the Democrats of the present. It's a tired old argument when you consider that they left the Democratic party.

Noted Conservative hero, Justice Scalia
    Lol, you see here is the thing. I said the southern democrats were a problem. Unlike you, i'm not some party zombie that defends the entire history of the democratic party nor do I care to. I'm a liberal before I'm a democrat. I'm not going to sit here and defend the dixiecrats. But it is pretty known that those dixiecrats swapped parties.

Edit: BTW, I didn't claim Atwater to be this or that, but that quote he acknowledges the existence of the strategy. Does he not?

Also, Nice Job skipping over the memo's from Nixon's administration.

Oh, a quote from Nixon's strategist...

Speaking of voting history, please explain to me why the GOP hasn't won the black vote since and has lost ground from every other single minority group? If your explanation has "Democrats." and "Handouts" then you're proving my point of the type of rhetoric the GOP has used to help spread a racial division.

8. tallanvor

no i didn't . I said the cause was virtuous the PUBLIC protests were not always useful. You have the text above, why should i have to recite it to your lying ass like you are some high school teenager.

He's not commenting on the aptitude or ability of african americans, he's commenting on the poor quality of poor public schools which for socio-economic reasons African Americans attend. BTW he was best friends with Clearance Thomas.

No . He claims the opposite. go read what he said.

They haven't lost ground with every minority group and the reason blacks vote Democrats is because they are poor (because of Democratic policies) and poor people vote Democrat.Also because of scumbags like you who scream racism because you misinterpreted a quote from the 80s.

#68 tallanvor, Jan 14, 2017
  9. Dei

Dei Member

@JayGoogle is very dishonest. The level of slimeball that employs every technique in the arguing with fallacies handbook. If he was doing academic work in a respectable field, he'd be the kind of guy who'd get blacklisted from reputable academic papers and from talking at events.

Space Ghost likes this.
  10. cml750

cml750 Member

I do not agree with much you post Bob but this is a good post.

11. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I say it because I've quoted you before.I asked you 2 times a question and you've dodged it both times.

No, he wasn't. He made it very clear that he thought black students should go on the slow track instead of attending elite universities.

The rest of your point is basically "He has a black friend."

No, read the question that was asked of him and his response. Also, once again...you've ignored the memo's of the nixon administration AND the quote from his strategist.

Oh yes, that's right. California...a democrat run state basically is doing so terrible right now. I wonder how Kansas is doing...

You are blinded by your partisanship.

Lol, funny thing is I've never insulted Tallanvor in any of these posts, all he's done is throw out insult after insult and he's flatly IGNORED several of my points.

As for you, your a joke that believes in white genocide for goodness sake. Republicans like to claim they are above racism but it'd be nice if other conservatives actually called you out on that B.S. Instead they (like @Space Ghost who I've respected quite frankly) just lets you get away with being a racist troll.

12. Dei

Dei Member

@JayGoogle, you know what? Whatever. It's not my fight. And it's not really you insulting him that he's complaining about, it's that you lie.

Only thing I'm going to say about dealing with people like JayGoogle is argue him to a wall. Make him eat the premises of your argument - Aristotle found that you need at least two - and then trap him into agreeing with the logical conclusion those statements arrive at.

I have no doubt though that, after all that, he's going to try and weasel out of it by backtracking or changing the narrative. In that case, the best thing to do is to just end it after explaining his fallacy (by quoting his statements) and letting the reader decide.

It's not going to be easy. The truth requires rigor and, most importantly, honesty to elucidate but that's what's needed to really be able to say to these people that they're wrong. We need to be better people. But you know what they say: The Truth Will Set You Free.

#72 Dei, Jan 14, 2017
  13. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Not sure what I've lied about in this thread. Blah blah blah, more non-sense that is more about me than the actual posts I've made. I'd like someone to actually argue the points I've made instead of conveniently leave them out and then quote every other part of my post.

14. TheresTheDagger

???

15. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

And in non-democracy. Protest is more than a form of speech. It's people's grievance on display. I wish there are never ever any protest, but that's unrealistic in the real world where there are always legitimate issues and sometime, those issues boil up to the point where people decided to invest their personal energy to protest. As long as they stay non-violence, it isn't something to disregard, especially under a democracy, but something that we should try to understand.

16. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Because the country has been shifting rightward for half a century and the institutions through which left-minded people can influence policy were systematically and brutally demolished by the government and private business in the 70's and they continue to hack away at them today. People on the right are grieving too, but they have institutions (tea party, republicans, part of the democrat party and large corporations) that seem to sometimes subscribe to their values so they are less inclined to act like people without representatives. Also, powerful corporatists have been able to generate the illusion that protest is linked to qualities deemed un-Jesusy, which is a pretty clever trick considering their target audience, and a pretty effective one considering it is the only way to influence a powerful hierarchy.

TL;DR version: people on the left have no influence and think they have been robbed, people in the center and right have no influence and think they have been robbed but think they might have a voice.

17. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

I suspect your place of employment wouldn't care much for your racist post history. They might even consider a layoff given people have been reprimanded for racist FB and Twitter posts. It's not as though your IP address is hidden when you post here nor would a proxy really protect you anymore. This isn't a threat from me BTW. It's just a fact that when you post something on the internet, it's not too hard to follow the paper trail left behind.

18. Dei

Dei Member

I'm on a VPN, yes, and I don't think I've been that racist. But, more importantly, that's not related to my intellectual honesty.

19. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

It kinda is by virtue of being racist. As a proclaimed chemist, I would think you'd have taken Biology and would quickly realize skin pigmentation has nothing to do with intellectual capacity.

Also having to hide your "honest" viewpoints while behind a VPN seems to be counterintuitive. If the truth is supposed to set you free, why hide your viewpoints behind the anonymity of the internet?

JayGoogle likes this.
  20. Dei

Dei Member

Because the political climate isn't convenient right now. Unfortunately, the left is still employing thought policing and my free speech could possibly entail me being harassed irl.

But I think the accusations of my racism are rather exaggerated. People who've called me that have failed to satisfactorily explain as to why.