1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who's Next?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Shark44, Mar 17, 2020.

1. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

I didn't have much time to lament the Hop trade yesterday, more important stuff going on. However, after sleeping on it, this has major implications and the question I have now is--WHO'S NEXT?

It seems that anyone who challenges or isn't happy with OBville is jettisoned. Clowney trade was first indication of what we were in store for and while many of us sucked it up and moved forward, the Tunsil trade without having him agree to a new deal was outright stupidity. I mean has one trade or signing OB made been considered a win or at least market value? It seems to get a deal done we either overpay or take below market value for our assets.

Hop has the most remarkable hands and body control of any modern day receiver. He's not fast, but he's durable and absolutely clutch. Should he want more money, yes, that's natural and something teams will always have to deal with when they have stars. If you trade Hop who is absolutely in his prime (down year was more because of focus he received and no offensive creativity) you should have received at least one 1st (10-20 range min) and a 2nd or 3rd the next year. Taking back a high priced, injury prone RB would have garnered most GM's extra draft collateral, but not OB--he gladly took on the salary and even included a 4th rd pick.

The players have to be saying WTF is going on. They have to be wondering "WHO'S NEXT" and maybe even wishing its them.

So who do you think is next to go? I have no idea.

conquistador#11 and Rudyc281 like this.
  2. Agent94

Agent94 Member

The precedent has been set that all you have to do to get off this sinking ship is to make BOB mad and then he trades you away for pennies on the dollar. Brown, Clowney and now Hopkins. "Who's next?" is a legit question I would argue with BOB daily to get out of this franchise.

And what does he do after these stupid trades. He overpays for worse players to fill the wholes he has created. This management style is going to implode.

3. IBTL

IBTL Member

Tonsil too expensive

Laremy spoke in class today

4. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Watt

Shark44 and Gray_Jay like this.
  5. Victorious

Victorious Member

Crazy thing is, I don't remember hearing anything about hop and bOB not getting along. So we might not even know until that player is gone lol what a cluster *uck

GradyMcTracy likes this.
  6. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

He can only franchise tag either Watson or Tunsil. Assuming things degenerate to where BoB threatens to use it if they won't sign a new deal. Going to be interesting to see how those negotiations go.

I honestly wouldn't be shocked to see Watt as the next domino to fall. He has to know: he doesn't have very many playing years left, and it's unlikely that he will make a Super Bowl with this team, front office, and ownership, in those years. Accordingly, see which of the likely contenders needs a player with his skill set, pick a fight with BoB---calling him out for his stupidity on this DHop move seems like a good time---and have the desired landing spot be first in BoB's ear with a halfway decent draft pick offer.

TheRealist137 and Shark44 like this.
  7. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

I think RudyC and you maybe right--Watt to GB for a 5th rd pick in 2020 and 4th rd in 2021.

Gray_Jay likes this.
  8. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

I don't even have the energy to quote that Talladega Nights meme again, because I have a sneaking suspicion you're not that wrong.

I do think the idiot will try to at least get a 1st for Watt, not that I think 2020 Watt is probably worth a 1st at this point, though I'd be delighted to be proved wrong.

9. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Yeah, thing is.... dealing Watt would be wholly justifiable and legitimately smart, which means there's zero chance of it happening.

And we haven't even dealt with the financial ramification - the Texans dealt Hopkins *and* let Reader walk so they could swallow the bloated contract of a washed-up running back.

I'm just...........

Gray_Jay likes this.
  10. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

Me too.

I've been saying they won't keep Reader for awhile now, ever since that tweet where he admitted zoning out when BoB was bloviating.

I like Watt a ton. I want him to retire here. But he ain't the healthiest, and he doesn't want to play inside anymore, evidently. So, it could be very 'Patriot-way' to break him off a year early, like Rodney Harrison and others.

But damnit, if they do it, they need a replacement, and they need to get something decent back for him.

11. SinceEverSince

We didn’t get **** back for hop, now you want something of value? We are ****ed!!!

12. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Gotta be black!... I don't perceive Billy Bob to be racist, but I know the next one will be black... I'm guessing McKinney...

Mr. Space City likes this.
  13. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

I thought JJ was going to be next then he made that donation and I was like well he’s staying