1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who'll be our best defensive player this season?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by durvasa, Oct 28, 2009.

?

Who'll be our best defender this year?

1. Shane Battier

25 vote(s)
    22.9%
  2. Trevor Ariza

1 vote(s)
    0.9%
  3. Kyle Lowry

5 vote(s)
    4.6%
  4. Chuck Hayes

77 vote(s)
    70.6%
  5. Other

1 vote(s)
    0.9%
  1. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I think the Rockets have 4 potential standout defenders on the team this season: Shane Battier, Trevor Ariza, Kyle Lowry, and Chuck Hayes. Each brings something different to the table:

Shane Battier: Often referred to as the "quarterback" of the defense. Constantly communicating. Understands the defensive schemes like a coach. Strong help defender with good anticipation for drawing charges and blocked shots (especially in transition). Disciplined on-ball defender who minimizes mistakes.

Trevor Ariza: Best combination of physical tools amongst perimeter players. Combination of length and quickness makes him capable of guarding 1-3. Will aggressively look to force turnovers, leading to transition opportunities. Good rebounder for his position.

Kyle Lowry: A physical defender, who despite his height can matchup defensively against many off guards or PGs who like to post up. Skilled floptician -- whether it be drawing charges on his man, or bouncing convincingly off screeners, he'll be amongst the league leaders in drawing offensive fouls. Not afraid to fight for the ball in a scrum, and when he gets his hand on the ball he's looking to push it up the floor hard.

Chuck Hayes: Can guard PF or C very effectively, and has the ability to switch onto perimeter players in many situations as well and hold his own. Good help defender who'll draw charges and get deflections. Quick hands, quick feet. Strong lower body makes it difficult for post players to back him down. Lack of height may hinder effectiveness contesting shots and rebounding near the basket. Excellent pick and roll defender.

They all bring different things to the table defensively. But who do you think will be our best defender this year?

#1 durvasa, Oct 28, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2009
    1 person likes this.
  2. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Battier's basketball smarts and his methodical approach is unmatched by just about anybody in this league. For that reason, I had to vote for him. His greatness as a defender is a prime example of how there's so much more to the game of basketball than just physical ability. He'll perform the the best against the elite players in this league.

3. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

This poll is likely to be a bit skewed after the game last night.

But not by my vote... I would have voted the same last year as well as this year. :)

4. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I think reality is skewed. :)

Our 6'6 center (on a good day) in the best defender on the team. Ariza has yet to show me why Morey considered him one of the top defenders at his position. Battier plays solid, but he doesn't make brilliant defensive plays at near the frequency Chuck does.

5. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Ariza attempted to gamble way too much last night. It angers me that he puts himself out position forcing his teammates to help therefore leading to open shots. He has the tools to be as good as Shane, but he needs to focus on not making the big plays all the time but rather just sticking to your man.

6. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

There is some value in him gambling (atleast when he's defending off the ball). Similar to a big shot blocker in the paint his presence in the passing lanes must be respected. Teams see him and have to make the safe pass, every play. He's used to more long and athletic teammates so in many instances he assumes the defensive rotations even things out.

Either way, I think this one easily goes to Chuck. He is our most intelligent and most effective overall defender. Shane is just not the same defender without a big guy to shade his man to. Also, I find defense at the 4/5 to just be more important than it is at other positions.

7. RMGEEGEE

RMGEEGEE Contributing Member

It's really unfortunate that none of these guys will probably be considered for DPOY.
    Battier usually gets a few votes, but with us totally out of the 'media's picture', he'll go unnoticed, much like every year.
    And Chuck Hayes... Probably more than half of all basketball fans don't know the guy.

Oh well.

8. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Hayes
    Battier
    Lowry
    Ariza (he is way behind the other three based on what I have seen so far this season)

9. BizzleRocket

BizzleRocket Member

Where's T-Mac? :rolleyes:

I voted for Battier, but Hayes is right next to him and then Ariza.

10. rhino17

rhino17 Member

1) Chuck Hayes
    2a) Shane Battier
    2b) Kyle Lowry

3) Trevor Ariza (I think people too often label role players as good defenders. Last night, he was awful imo, but he is maybe just above average normally, I consider the other 3 very good.)

11. roxxfan

roxxfan Contributing Member

1. Chuck Hayes
    2. Battier or ariza.

No doubt.

12. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

They really don't deserve to be chosen for DPOY..