1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Whoa: Amber Alert on the cell phone

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by EssTooKayTD, Dec 18, 2012.

Tags:
  1. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

So one just went out, and productivity in our office (and I'm sure the whole area) just plummeted hahah

2. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

Yea I got that too. My phone was vibrating non-stop and I was like wtf and pulled it out of my pocket and there it was. There have been amber alerts before and I never got this alert. Must be serious.

3. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

What does that mean?

4. bobmarley

bobmarley Contributing Member

I didn't get one.

5. EssTooKayTD

You mean amber alert? If so, it's this initiative to send out abducted children alerts I think. I'm not sure if it's carrier-specific, but Verizon apparently does it. It was the first one I've received as well. Bunch of phones started buzzing all crazy here. I thought it was a fire drill at first.

6. droopy421

droopy421 Member

Made my phone just go off so loud that I clicked delete before I even read it.

7. rawool

rawool Member

I got one, pressed 'More Info' and it then just disappeared. So much for being helpful.

8. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

Mine says 2002 Chevy Black Trailblazer LIC# 7CZTJ (TX)

if anyone cares

9. BetterThanI

BetterThanI Contributing Member

Got one in the Round Rock area. Just said "check local media". How helpful. :rolleyes:

10. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

yeah, got that too. It used some weird ringtone to notify me tht I have never heard before...like a non-stop buzzing you get from the old weather alert radios.

11. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

my coworker's phone went off like a siren when i was talking to him 10 minutes ago. he said it was about a missing child.

12. rhino17

rhino17 Member

My phone went off like a siren while I was at heb. Maybe I was in the area

13. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

Is this legal? Are cell phone companies allowed to spam our cell phones with random ringtones? I can see where this could be dangerous to randomly beep peoples phone.

14. underoverup

underoverup Member

i got it too near austin, i can't find it in the news though :confused:

15. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

type amber alert on google, it pops up.

16. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

http://www.wmbfnews.com/story/20366773/transition-plan-for-amber-alert-program

17. underoverup

underoverup Member

here it is...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/50230274

Amber Alert: Boy Believed in Grave Danger

A statewide Amber Alert has been issued for an 11-month-old boy out of San Antonio who police say was taken by his own father.

San Antonio police are searching for Jonathan Jose Guillen Jr., a Hispanic male who stands 2 feet 6 inches tall and weighs approximately 25 pounds. He has brown hair, hazel eyes and was last seen wearing blue jeans and a red hooded sweatshirt.

Police are searching for the boy's father, Jonathan Guillen Sr., who is described as 23 years old, 5 feet 8 inches tall and weighing approximately 185 lbs. He has brown hair, brown eyes and was last seen wearing a white muscle T-shirt with black or red shorts.

WOAI-TV in San Antonio reports the boy was taken after his father killed his mother's estranged boyfriend last Thursday.

Guillen is believed to be driving a black 2002 Chevrolet Trailblazer with Texas plate 7CZTJ.

Texas law enforcement officials believe the child to be in grave or immediate danger.

Anyone who spots Guillen or their car is asked to call 911.

18. EssTooKayTD

I believe you can opt out of it. I chose to keep the alerts. You never know if by some minuscule chance you might be able to help someone find their child.

But yes, the alert was...alarming haha. One of my coworkers misread the alert to say Taliban instead of Trailblazer. She was about to pack up her **** and bounce! hahaha

19. EssTooKayTD

Damn...poor child.