1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can former Rocket Eric Gordon and the Suns bounce back against the Timberwolves? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Who would you choose ?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by gr8-1, Apr 25, 2000.

1. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

Achebe,

There is another West Coast team that fits the headline even better.

Mango

------------------
    The Serious Police are watching

Donate Blood

2. haven

haven Member

Odom seems a bit mercurial, and doesn't seem to put forth full effort at times. But I will say that he stopped trying only after the Clipper-effect had time to work. I don't think he'd be that way on a team with an agenda.

McGrady's ball handling skills? I've only seen two raptor games this year, but I don't think he's been particularly impressive on that front. He has fairly good ball-handling for a PF, but Odom has SENSATIONAL ball skills for a SF (or SG OR PG or PF-which reminds me, he gets points for versatility).

Oh yes. Also notable: Odom and McGrady are the same age, but McGrady has played two more years in the NBA, and Odom STILL did better than McGrady in nearly all statistical categories, including REBOUNDING, despite playing the point part of the year!

McGrady will be a nice player and everything... probably a "star." But I think Odom may be the best SF in the NBA in a couple of years.

------------------

[This message has been edited by haven (edited April 26, 2000).]

3. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

haven, odom may have the stats edge, but trace was the second or 3rd option on the raptors, a team that is worlds better then the clippers. Also think mcgrady is a better athlete. I think he is versatile, as he can play pg, sg, or sf.

------------------
    "Don't they get cable in Canada ?" Keith olbermann, after watching hakeem block terry catledge's shot 5 times.

4. haven

haven Member

Gr8-1... Odom attempted 13.5 shots per game, McGrady 12.9. He found his shots somehow. His shooting percentage wasn't significantly worse than McGrady's, even though he usually drew the other team's best defender, and McGrady had the advantage of having Vince doing that. McGrady got quite a few more easy dunks than Odom did, I would imagine. I would also that McGrady was the team's 2nd option, and I don't think that reduces a players stats. Pippen certainly seemed to benefit from the presence of Jordan... and McGrady benefits from the presence of Carter.

I just haven't seen these supposed playmaking skills (or ball-handling). McGrady seems very athletic, but unskilled... and his stats other than scoring really haven't improved per 48 minutes. In fact, some are down (steals).

Oh, and Odom already has an inside-out game that McGrady lacks. Odom connected on 36% from behind the arc (not stellar, but certainly a threat).... McGrady was at about 26%.

Odom seems to be the better player RIGHT NOW, and doesn't even have as much NBA experience, and probably has a higher ceiling. Odom, to me, is a no-brainer.

------------------

5. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

true.

Earlier in the season there was a big hoopla about McGrady... I believe thaCabbage even posted {McGrady + 20 lbs. = SuperStar}.

I haven't seen that yet. I certainly haven't seen any skills remotely resembling the $9M that he expects at the end of the season. Odom will have 2 years to have the opportunity to put a dollar value on his skills.

Odom, easily.

------------------
    [​IMG]

6. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

Achebe: I still feel McGrady will one day acheive superstar status...give him time. However, if I had to choose between Odom and McGrady, I would easily take Odom. He fits our team much better. Remember, Mobley has greatly developed since the last time we discussed McGrady.

gr8-1: McGrady can bring the ball up the court, but his handles are nowhere near as fluid as Odom's. Odom is a natural ball handler and playmaker.

[This message has been edited by thacabbage (edited April 27, 2000).]