1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who would you choose ?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by gr8-1, Apr 25, 2000.

1. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

ok, this question is pretty close to hypothetical, but according to what some of the insiders on this board are saying, not impossible.
    My question is, if the rockets had the chance to acquire either lamar odom or t-mac (lets say the rockets give up equal compensation for either of them), who would you choose ?
    I pick mcgrady. he's quicker, a better defender, more athletic, and i believe a better ball handler. I think lamar could develop into a better scorer, but right now i would give that edge to mcgrady also (i dont have their stats with me though).
    I simply believe that mcgrady has more upside.

------------------
    "Don't they get cable in Canada ?" Keith olbermann, after watching hakeem block terry catledge's shot 5 times.

2. WiNK

WiNK Member

I would choose Odom, even though they r both extremely talented, because he is putting up great numbers, he has all the tools that a NBA player needs (even though he could work on his free throw%) and he is playing for the CLIPPERS!!!! Playing for them brings down your numbers just from the depressing thought of playing for them (clippers).

Besides in the rookie game it looked like Francis and Odom could create great chemistry together. (imagine these two future superstars, play for the rockets together........WAY 2 SWEEEEET!!!!)

------------------

[This message has been edited by WiNK (edited April 25, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by WiNK (edited April 25, 2000).]

3. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

WiNK:
    You actually edited that...twice?

------------------
    rimbaud post-a-thon 2000

4. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

Not sure....I like McGrady's game better, and he has played well in his first ever playoff game. But I like Odom's well rounded game, and he and Cuttino are good buddies.

I think given the choice, I pick McGrady.

------------------
    HOOP-T

Hey Shaq, Acme called, and they want their bricks back!

5. WiNK

WiNK Member

Well i good at making mistakes but not good at catching them........I never said i wuz an editor or anything [​IMG]

------------------

6. popeye

popeye Member

It really depends on who we had to give up, what holes we would be left with, etc....

In general. I like Odom.

He can play 3 positions very well. May even be able to handle the 4 duties as the PF position is becoming more and more athletic in this league.

He carries the ball better trhan McGrady ever thought of and can create a varied of scoring situations for himself (in comparison to Tracy who demonstrated this year that he can do some things but really needs a supporting cast to do them well.)

Odom is hungry for a winning team.

Tracy is hungry for a better payday.

Odom has demonstrated some court leadership qualities and handled a tough season pretty well.

Tracy has not shown any exceptional leadership qualities in those areas (but he may possess them just the same,just not demonstrated as yet).

Tough call, but all things considered .... Odom.

7. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

Judging from your post Popeye, it is not that tough of a call. [​IMG]

I think I would go for Odom too. He just seems that he would be a natural fit.

TM reminds me of Pippen. That's all I have to say about him.

------------------
    Save
    Our
    Wizard

Step up and shoot it!

8. DEANBCURTIS

DEANBCURTIS Member

I'd take Odom too, he can adjust to the Rocks better.

------------------
    THE DEAN HAS WRITTEN

9. losttexan

losttexan Contributing Member

ODEM in a walk.

It's probably just a dream but, If we could get him,....WOW.

------------------

10. popeye

popeye Member

[​IMG] Don't read to much into my post. I would kill to get Tracy McGrady, even with both legs in a cast and his left arm tied behind his back. I just like Odom when comparing the two.

[​IMG] Incidently. I still say either McGrady stays in TO or Krause makes him an offer he can't refuse to languish in Chicago.

Note: The odds of getting either is slim, but the best chance is Odom.

11. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I'd prefer Odom:

(1) He's a better player.

(2) He has a cooler name.

(3) I can't stand that T-Mac shortform.

(4) I pity players who are trapped on the Clippers. Getting Odom means he will be freed from such tyranny. I guess I'm just a softy at heart.

------------------

12. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

gr8-1: Tracy can handle the ball, but not nearly as well as Odom. Odom is a natural playmaker, and that's why I would prefer him over McGrady. With Odom, we could move Shandon/Mobes to the small forward, slide Francis over to the shooting-guard (PG is not the reason he didn't want to play in Vancouver!) and have Odom bring the ball up and create. This allows you to maximize Odom and Francis' greatest capabilities (Odom passing, Francis scoring). You can then come back down and have them all matchup size wise on the defensive end. Odom and Mobley, (and it seemed Francis-Odom in the All-Star game) are already friends as well. Even though I would love to have McGrady, I think Odom would be a natural fit in Houston with his playmaking ability.

------------------
    $42million. 7 years.

[This message has been edited by thacabbage (edited April 26, 2000).]

13. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

You want to play Odom at the PG? Do you suggest that while Francis is not a 'true' PG, Odom is?

------------------

14. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

Juan: No. Play Francis at the point guard as you normally would. However, I can think of atleast 10 times this season where there was a period during the game (if not the whole game) that Francis was hitting everything and taking over. I say "milk that". During those times, you would have the luxury at playing Odom at the point guard, and letting Francis move without the ball and go off for 40. While Tracy can handle the ball, he isn't the playmaker/passer that Odom is.

[This message has been edited by thacabbage (edited April 26, 2000).]

15. haven

haven Member

I don't see that it's even a very tough decision. Sure, McGrady has some nice physical tools, but Odom has athleticism, can shoot, pass, and even defend a bit.

Francis had a better season, but I'd still maintain that Lamar Odom was the most talented rookie this year.

I would be terrified of signing T-Mac and seeing him becoming the second coming of Shawn Kemp.

------------------

[This message has been edited by haven (edited April 26, 2000).]

16. DREAMer

DREAMer Member

Odom or McGrady....

That's a problem I hope we have. You couldn't go wrong with either one. Each excels at different aspects of the game. But, I think Odom would demand more shots, so that makes me lean towards McGrady for athleticism and defense.

------------------
    I have a dream.........his name's Hakeem.

17. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

Odom. If he took over the game, then we could say:

the Rockets Odomized the Jazz! (insert any other team name here)

Besides, McGrady seems aloof. He looks stoned all of the time.

------------------

18. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

Achebe,

Not trying to get too religious on you, but did you intentionally pick the Jazz with the indirect salt reference?

Mango

------------------
    The Serious Police are watching

Donate Blood

19. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

Mango,

oooopsss... That was a coincidence. But I could see how it could be taken that way. What would better fit that thought pattern would be:

the Rockets Odomized the Lakers!

------------------

20. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

Thank you Dreamer, i agree with you. Everyone is talking about Odom's defense or athleticism, but mcgrady is VERY athletic, and wasn't he second among sf's in blocked shots (1st really, garnett is a freak).

mcgrady also looks really naturl handling the ball, and has a lightning quit 1st step. Odom, seems like a good guy, but his personality MAY have cost him to be the 31 pick last year, though you could say the same for francis maybe.
    Wasnt there a stretch this year where Odom acted like a prima donna ? Of course he does play for the clippers.

------------------
    "Don't they get cable in Canada ?" Keith olbermann, after watching hakeem block terry catledge's shot 5 times.