1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who would you be happy getting in return for Francis?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by fadeaway, Feb 6, 2004.

1. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

Like him or not personally, Francis is a marquee player who should offer a lot of value on the trade market. We should be able to get a pretty darn good player in return if the team decides to trade him.

How would you feel about getting any of these players:

Tracy McGrady -- I would be ecstatic, even if it means giving up Mo too.
    Ray Allen -- Not the best player to get for this team, but still not bad.
    Vince Carter -- Definitely equal in talent to Francis. Would really shake things up!
    Rasheed Wallace -- A fair trade, but I do not want Rasheed on this team.
    Antawn Jamison -- A good player, but probably not worth his contract. I would like to get more for Francis.
    Shareef Abdur-Rahim -- A great player who gets no recognition. I would be very happy to get him.
    Elton Brand -- A pipe dream, but it sure would be awesome to bring this guy to Houston.
    Lamar Odom -- I doubt the Heat would want to get rid of Odom already, but I think he would be a great fit for the Rockets.
    Andre Miller -- I like the kid, but we should be able to get more for Steve. Plus, I doubt Denver would trade him.
    Andre Kirilenko -- I think he's just a flash in the pan, so I wouldn't want to see this trade go down.
    Baron Davis -- My DREAM trade (even more than T-Mac). There's no chance in hell of it ever happening, though, unfortunately.

It's fun to dream about how other NBA stars would look in Rocket red. :)

2. red

red Contributing Member

andre...he has all the tools that this team lacks.

3. Alirules

Alirules Member

kevin Garnett or Tim Duncan

4. Pass 1st shoot 2nd

Pass 1st shoot 2nd Contributing Member

Terrel Brandon's expired contract. Sorry guys, but Francis is a b-i-t-c-h and a brainless basketball player.

5. sup123

sup123 Member

steve+cuttino for tmac.

6. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The thing is that we would need two players for him. Or we'd need PG that's a star. Yao isn't ready to be the solo man for the team so we need a somebody who can at least share the load if not carry it himself.

We also need a pg. I know that Steve isn't the greatest floor general passing type pg in the world but he's by far the best option at the position currently in a Rocket's uniform. The team is actually smoother with him on the floor, as scary as that sounds.

So unless we can get one player to fulfill both roles for Steve or two players to fit in, then we can't make the trade. It's a tough position to be in.

7. oldman

oldman Contributing Member

steve and change for brand and jaric.

8. Raven

Raven Member

Elton Brand or Shareef Abdur-Rahim.

YM doesn't need an all star point guard, but he does need an all star enforcer.

Yao Ming
    Elton Brand
    Eric Snow

= dynasty

Raven

9. Bay Rock

Bay Rock Member

Gilbert Arenas + Kwame Brown for Franchise

10. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He may not need an all star pg, but the team does need SOMEBODY who can run the offense. Without Francis we have MJ who is too old to do it, and Wilks is on the IR list. Who would be our PG?

11. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

I think (at least I hope) that most posters understand that any reasonable deal for Francis won't take place until the after he loses his BYC in the summer. The PG then comes from a FA signing if it is not contained within the trade.

12. rocksolid

rocksolid Contributing Member

McGrady + Yao would be an NBA Dynasty.

13. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

A combination of Bayrock and Raven's ideas.

Steve Francis (Tacoma Park native) and Maurice Taylor and Eric Piatkowski to the Wizards.

Kwame Brown (Georgia native) and Brevin Knight (expiring contract for the suckwad Hawks) to Atlanta.

Gilbert Arenas and Shareef Abdur-Rahim and Jarvis Hayes to the Houston Rockets.

The trade exception would help out in this. I don't know if it's equitable. Maybe throw Adrian Griffin to Atlanta (although I'd rather keep him).

This way, Steve fetches a high price for being a hometown draw.

14. rocksolid

rocksolid Contributing Member

If not McGrady, then...

Rashard Lewis
    Elton Brand

Smart, young, and would fit in nicely with Yao and JVG.

15. Raven

Raven Member

Well of course the Rockets need a solid point guard, but you can get that type of player with the exception or by offering CM.

Trading SF for anything other than a talented young big man would be a mistake.

Raven

16. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

I'd do it.

17. Sherlock

Sherlock Contributing Member

If we were to trade Francis, we MUST get appropriate talent in return. We need to replace a star with a star.

But, if you get rid of Francis, you might as well get rid of all of them, and rebuild around Yao, and let everyone mature together. That means Mobely, Taylor, Cato, and if we got good value from someone like Phoenix, even Boki.

I don't think its realistic to get another point guard in trade for Francis. Why trade one PG for another? He should fetch us an up and coming PF who can compete with the other beasts in the West, and/or a top 4 draft pick that we could use on either Okafor or Howard. Someone like Chicago, who is tired of babysitting their young talent, and would like to get a current star to put fans in the seats. Perhaps the Wizards, since he's a hometown hero, getting Brown and a top 3 pick. If Arenas came in the deal, that would be awesome, but seems like too much to ask for. Perhaps Detroit would give up Milicik ... I don't think Toronto would give up Bosh, nor Portland give up Randolph, but those guys would be great. Maybe LAC would give up Brand or Wilcox.

Use Cato to get a PG in the Eastern Conference, which has plenty of them, and where Cato could be a starting center.

We might have to keep Taylor, but maybe we could get a backup center for him, perhaps a SG, or package him with Cat for a SF.

Cat would be good with the exception to get a significant player

If we were able to pick up McGrady for a combination of anyone but Ming, that would be a coux, and then build around them. I'd like to see us somehow get a top 3 or 4 pick this year, though. Okafor would be a perfect compliment to Ming.

18. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Steve Francis for:
    A) Tyson Chandler, Kirk Hinrich, and Eddie Robinson

or

B) Mike Dunleavy Jr., Troy Murphy, and Avery Johnson

19. yipengzhao

yipengzhao Contributing Member

some of these trades would improve us... but some are marginal.

gilbert arenas is okay... but is he really that much better of a POINT guard than francis? kwame brown though... i think he's reason to thank god EVERY DAY that we got the first pick one year later than we did. Yao might not be better than LeBron, but he's better than kwame. Although I'd have to say Brown won't ask for that much money once his contract expires and should be serviceable at least.

andre miller... what happened to 11 assists a game? got exposed as a prime time player, which i don't think he is.

baron davis... was hitting threes at 50% early in the season, but now it's at 30%, which means he's been hitting at 10% lately (exaggeration but he's had some 1 for 10 nights) is he THAT different from Steve Francis?

I like Ray Allen, T-Mac, or I guess Vince Carter would be OK too...

but it's hard to get a superstar so I mean I'd settle for two good players. Chandler and Hinrich... I'd think hard about that one, but if Ty Chandler didn't have health issues i'd be all over it.

20. yipengzhao

yipengzhao Contributing Member

Okafor... wow what a beast. Sometimes dominant college players don't pan out in the pros though...