1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who would make for good moderators in the D&D forum?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Clutch, Nov 26, 2018.

1. jcf

jcf Member

Or I'm back from a Holiday Party...signing off....

2. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Right (and Juan, as I think was mentioned earlier, would also make a good choice).

On that other forum, there were reports that came in that portrayed some pretty extreme positions. But, unless they broke a rule, we didn't do anything about it. It also needed to be a reviewed, group decision...so mods leaning the other way politically needed to buy into the action. There was some bias against certain posters within the moderating committee...but I never saw any biased actions against them.

Which is probably the key. It needs to be a committee, and the committee needs to decide what actions to take.

@Clutch ... which gets back to rules, and a defined set of repurcussions. If moderating is ad hoc, and done by individuals, it will at least lead to perceptions of bias, even if there isn't any.

TheresTheDagger and MojoMan like this.
  3. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I for one welcome our new moderator overlords..

4. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

I would also add that the forum allows lots of room for internal/self moderation. When somebody posts something out of line...nothing prevents anyone from pointing that out. The 'ignore' feature also solves many of the problems.

Go back to 'monkeys flinging poo'. Monkeys also self moderate...someone who flings too much poo is shunned from the group. Nobody goes over to have a talk with him/her about it...they simply let it be known that such behavior is not acceptable to the group, and that they will be shunned from the group until their behavior changes.

I would say, again @ Clutch....you need to determine how you want this forum to be. You can have very civil objective discussions...but that requires strict guidelines and firm punishment for those who violate them. Is that what you want? Is that what others here want? Or do we have free discourse, and live with the consequences? There is a happy medium...but in today's climate, that's hard to achieve. This is the debate in social media today, not just on this board.

5. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

Lol, and the "extreme Left" would be anyone not on the "extreme Right," apparently.

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

While it's true that those on the left are being forced further to the left and moderates are becoming an endangered species on the left, that's not at all true. The reason I said that anyone on the right of the extreme left has concerns is because the authoritarian extreme left is bad about purity tests and they often go after anyone that disagrees with any part of their narrative no matter where you stand. You can be a decently far left person but you disagree with one part of the far left religion and you'll be attacked and excommunicated for it. If you look, you'll see that kind of thing happen all the time.

It's actually pretty hard to find examples of "far right" on this board.

7. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

If the example of far right is that Republicans can do no wrong and Democrats can do no right, then it's pretty easy to find examples on this board.

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That would be an example of a partisan, and you can certainly find Republican partisans and a ton of Democrat partisans but just because someone is a partisan it doesn't necessarily mean they are far right or far left. I think in this forum it would be considerably easier to find legitimate examples of those on the far left than the far right.