1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who would make for good moderators in the D&D forum?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Clutch, Nov 26, 2018.

1. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

ok, you're on a timeout, you need to watch this

arkoe likes this.
  2. CCorn

CCorn Member

Also, why are you always confused? You may want to see someone about that.

3. mdrowe00

mdrowe00 Member

Ha!

...what's that saying...?

"...once a man, twice a child..."?

...well...

...assuming one every actually grew up at all in the first place...

Nook and Pizza_Da_Hut like this.
  4. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

should timeout people for using fallacies in their arguments. that would shut everyone up

mdrowe00 likes this.
  5. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

It'll fail if it's enforced rigidly. There's a reason why this forum was created, and decorum is at the bottom of the list.

Serenity now (Hangouts), insanity later (D&D).

So I expect name calling and poo flinging in here. What I don't approve of is people carrying grudges over threads.

I don't think anyone posting in this thread wants an overlord, but further down the line, it's almost a given that factions will try to use the mod to one up the other (scoreboard).

For the board to keep it's intended spirit, it's really up to the mod to make no win decisions and have a thick skin over it because there's manbabies on both sides.

cml750 likes this.
  6. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I agree that if cml750 wanted to respond with the same arguments you've made, he could have. I just don't think the comment would require any moderator action at all. cml750 could have absolutely made objections to the argument of Nook if he chose. I would have no problem with that.

7. cml750

cml750 Member

If the expectation becomes zero personal attacks, if and when we get a moderator(s) here, they will be VERY busy.

Sometimes those personal attacks are just harmless fun banter between two people who have been debating for years. I personally have no issue with that type of "attack" but I guess @Clutch and whoever he chooses to be the moderator(s) will decide where the line is drawn.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  8. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I like the idea of @justtxyank as moderator. How do you guys feel about that? I want to add a second level-headed person that balances his views.

I think this has no impact on the majority of CF users, who know how to handle themselves. I think knowing that moderators are present or that the forum is better moderated will help in a lot of ways. They're involved in the forum. They'll know what's going on.

jcf, Canadiandude, mikol13 and 21 others like this.
  9. mdrowe00

mdrowe00 Member

...God/Allah/Budda/Zoroaster bless him if he's up for it...

..no complaints from me..

CometsWin and justtxyank like this.
  10. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

All their blessings are belong to me.

arkoe, Invisible Fan and Os Trigonum like this.
  11. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

just make sure you watch that Love Fart Awakening video above before you get started

jcf likes this.
  12. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

I didn't read the exchange until others pointed it out, but I guess my point is moderation would be reasonable in the context of good sportsmanship rather than tattling. If others were bothered by it being unfair, it's ok to call a foul like one would in a pickup game, if only to prevent it from derailing discussion, not to punish Nook in a kangaroo court for crimes against humanity. cml750 is thick-skinned and probably doesn't complain about sharp elbows when he makes layups, either.

#372 Deji McGever, Dec 6, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
    cml750 and mdrowe00 like this.
  13. mdrowe00

mdrowe00 Member

...I say we try this thing on for size...
    ...I'll start:

<ahem>

O great and powerful justtxyank-OZ...

...I beseech thee on behalf of the dozens of thine loyal servants who wish nothing more than to see heathens and brigands deposed posthaste from these hallowed interwebs...

...SMITE thou me with thine holy ban-hammer for my most-foul and decadent reverse-racist n!ggerism which abounds all around thee and befouls the very digital airwaves more decent souls peruse...

...And strike down upon me with great vengeance and furious anger for attempting to poison and destroy my brothers. And we will know your name is the D&D-lord, when you lay your vengeance upon me!

...Please? Not asking for me...but for a friend...

...promise not to look behind the curtain...:D

#373 mdrowe00, Dec 6, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
    CometsWin and Invisible Fan like this.
  14. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Random question that just strikes me while I read this thread...have there ever even been any confirmed female posters (not fake "proud black women") in the D&D?

Someone like a D&D version of @Isabel who could inject a healthy dose of estrogen into some of the male keyboard warrior poo-flinging would make a great moderator, in theory...

Nook and justtxyank like this.
  15. CCorn

CCorn Member

Nothing attracts women like neckbrsrds arguing politics on an online basketball forum

16. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

I guess I have a different level of sensitivity than other folks. The exchange did not seem at all out of line to me, though I could see where it pushed close to what I would call the edge. To me, it was only guilty of being slightly off-topic since cml750 didn't bring up religion in that thread. It wasn't personal or even hostile in my opinion.

I guess a number of other folks feel differently. I'll try and respect their opinions but I still would not vote for a moderator that saw it as something that needed a moderator's attention. I won't fault others for feeling differently about the matter. It's just how I saw it.

17. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

I know there have been one or two who post here occasionally. I haven't known of any who were regulars.

18. jcf

jcf Member

I regretfully did. I'm not sure I will ever recover. I did enjoy the young boy screaming a sweet term to his friends for not bombing the video.

Perfect material both for punishment and to cause reflection of one's own transgressions.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  19. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

you got the wrong takeaway from that performance then. it was all about love, being yourself, and loving others ;)

jcf likes this.
  20. jcf

jcf Member

I absolutely agree that it did not and does not require a moderator's attention. And, I don't believe we are disagreeing. But, I still think different posters might have caught major grief for saying something extremely similar in a different context (think mocking/challenging the Muslim faith in this environment.) And it would be great if someone stood up for other posters if the situation arises like you did here. Or folks just stayed away from bringing up extraneous issues.

I don't think ANY of these kinds of statements deserve a moderator's attention. We are all big boys/girls who signed up for varying degrees of civil conversation/abuse by posting here. People have demonstrated their abundant ability to defend themselves or shake things off or ignore the comments. Part of the beauty of this site.

I do think a moderator would have been helpful during the entire "make insensitive/offensive remarks about a kid/ attack Clutch and this site for various reasons including using the comments about the kid as a pretext (not all obviously).

My prayer/wish/chant for the moderator(s) is shorter than @mdrowe's: please don't intercede unless you view it as absolutely necessary and just keep posting.

cml750 and FranchiseBlade like this.