1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who will we draft with our 2nd pick?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by kidrock8, Mar 7, 2002.

1. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

It's pretty much a foregone conclusion that Carr will be #1.

So... I am wondering who we take with our #2 pick.

Personally, I'd like to draft a RB or WR.

It wouldn't surprise me if someone like DeShuan Foster slipped to 2nd round status.

Perhaps a Dante Stallworth would be available with the Texans 2nd round pick?

2. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

This class is loaded with stud WR's, more than one will slip into the 2nd round.

3. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

I would love to see Duckett slip to the 2nd round.

4. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

Kidrock, get on AOL instant messenger and IM me at Y2Clintproblem I want to talk sim league trades with you...

5. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

As I understand it, there are two pretty good tight ends in this draft, right? Is there much of a chance either will slip to the second round? Also, will our second round pick be the first 2nd round pick, or is it serpentine?

6. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

Many "experts" have us taking DeShaun Foster with our second pick. I'm holding out hope (and praying) that T.J. Duckett will still be around for us, though, when we select in the second frame.

7. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

The 2 TE's Graham and Shockey, will prob be taken before we are up.

I would love to get one of them if they did slip.

8. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

what "experts"? they won't take deshaun foster. and no way duckett slides out of the first round; if anything, he's moving up.

we've heard they're really high on lamar gordon, as are a few other teams (one being miami, so...). my guess is they'll take the best DE, WR or RB available with pick #33 and likely the same thing at #50. they intent on providing carr a solid foundation, so i'd be shocked if at least one of their second round picks wasn't used on a skill position; they sure need 'em.

in rounds 2-6, they have the first and 18th pick. in round seven, they have the first, 18th and last pick.

9. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

For later in the round, I remember Kelly Campbell got high reviews from Carr @ the Senior Bowl, and I remember Capers talking about Randel-El as a 'playmaker' at the senior bowl, and 'playmaker' seems to be a concept that they appear to like from recievers. Any thoughts on these two guys?

Also, I really like the idea of a mean b*stard like LeCharles Bentley, and I remember reading somewhere about how well he did at the combine. Any chance they'd take him?

Finally, I still think that Kalimba Edwards might be a guy they'd really like. If he drops to the second half of the first round, is there any chance that they'd try and trade one of their seconds and, say a third or a fourth to move into a second first rounder?

I also remember hearing Casterly gush about Shockley and Graham after the senior bowl, but he seemed to think they'd both be gone before the end of the first.

10. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Campbell is fast burner with bad hands. I don't think he's much different than Dez White, former GT teammate now in Chi.

Randle El is a project since he will need to develop some route running skills.

Randle El might make a decent slot WR, but he will never be a starter.

I could see him being a nice punt returner overtime too.

11. Ottomaton

Supporting Member

BTW, congrats, Ric, on getting quotes from your scouting reports into such a prominant role in NFL.COM's draft scouting reports. Off the top of my head, I remember 3 or 4 specific reports from houstonprofootball.com, vs. no more than one or two from any other team oriented site.

12. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

This will be a loaded draft, Clinton Portis might also be there but I wouldnt put it past Butch Davis to draft him. WR is a very hard position to play, There is so much talent this year that any of the top ten WR's have star potential. Marquis Walker might be a good pick. Also Reche Caldwell, Javon Walker, Donte Stallworth, and maybe even Ashlie Lelie could be there. Also Freddie Milons, who was better in College 2 years ago than this last year, could be a sleeper pick in the 3rd round.

Its tough to predict whats going to happen. I just love the NFL Draft.

#12 moestavern19, Mar 8, 2002
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2002
  13. Ottomaton

Supporting Member

It seems to me that there are alot of WR's round 3 - round 5 who could be pretty good. I thought Kahlil Hill looked great in the North-South game, and to have a guy like Brian Poli-Dixon who is 6'5" with loads of talent projected to be a late rounder...

It seems like the WR's may not be great at the top, but it seems that there's a lot of them in the middle to bottom who are pretty good.

I really wish the Texans would look at a big posession reciever/blocker type like Joe Jurevicius to compliment the Jermaine Lewis' that the team already has, but it doesn't look like they are inclined to do so.

14. Dave Jamerson

Dave Jamerson Member

randal el will be available in the 4th and 5th rounds...i personally he duckett slips to this pick or we take one of the many talented receivers...any chance bryant slips a little?

15. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

if you mean antonio, it's possible; he had an disappointing combine. the bigger question is whether houston would pull the trigger on him at #33... he has charcater issues, but man, is he talented, and he'd be an absolute steal at #33.

no way. lelie will likely be the first WR taken, and if he isn't, he won't fall out of the first round.

that's not true -- if you look over their roster, all but two of the receivers are 5'11" or bigger, including the guy they just signed from the CFL (insley). they'll get bigger; they have to with carr -- he's not a towering QB.

thanks, kinda silly -- our profiles consisted of us scouring the net for info from other sites (like we're out scouting)... they're like research papers on pro prospects, and yet, we got quoted. but i guess, in the long run, we're not that different from someone like kiper.

16. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

thats true, Lelie's stock has skyrocketed, Which bumps a good WR to the second round.

17. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I like Duckett or Foster if they are there. I see no big help at RB in FA. If Carr is the man, it would be nice to have one of these two guys or another rb take the pressure off him.

Build WR corps next year or later in the draft.

18. Ottomaton

Supporting Member

Considering the reason he was jumping was his 4.3ish 40 time, and considering that 3 or more WR's ran sub 4.4 at the combine, might that not slow his skyrocketing a bit?

19. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Lelie has good size and speed though.

20. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Lelie was awesome the 2-3 times I saw him play. MAde ridiculous catches.