1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who will the Rockets waive to clear room for Joe Johnson

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ApacheWarrior, Feb 12, 2018.

?

Who will the Rockets waive to make room for Joe Johnson?

1. Troy Williams

58 vote(s)
    23.9%
  2. T Black

97 vote(s)
    39.9%
  3. Onuaka

73 vote(s)
    30.0%
  4. Other

15 vote(s)
    6.2%
  1. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

I think there's a good chance the Wolves cut Aaron Brooks if they sign D-Rose. Wouldn't mind cutting Granny Shot to add an extra PG.

Is it likely that someone would claim Black off waivers?

AB_KIAd_myCar likes this.
  2. HTown_TMac

HTown_TMac Member

It’s gotta be Black. We will probably be in luxury tax next year, every dollar counts. You don’t want dead money costing you 5x more than it should. Plus their contracts can be used as fillers, kinda like those non guaranteed we got to get paul.

3. jayfree

jayfree Member

Pringles. Paul will be the new coach

4. draneb

draneb Member

What about Markel Brown? Can he be cut or sent back to the G League to free up a roster spot?

5. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

He’s on a 2 way contract like RJ Hunter. Those guys don’t count on the roster so it doesn’t matter if you cut them.

6. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

Screw luxury tax. Nene and Wright are BOTH injury prone. A 4th C is necessary. I would be extremely mad at Morey if he cuts Black.

Nivos likes this.
  7. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Unfortunately that role will probably go to Ryno.

8. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Assuming they go after and land a big fish this offseason , they'll almost definitely be in the Lux Tax for the foreseeable future - Hit the tax in 3 of 5 seasons and the numbers are astronomical .... Landing that big fish and retaining your FA's . you are committing to being in the tax for at least the next two and potentially longer , why absorb the tax going forward for a fringe player ??

Daddy Long Legs and D-rock like this.
  9. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

The question should be whether Black is better/more useful than Troy or Onuaku and the answer is yes. Depth is something you can never get enough of. **** happens and you might need Black at some point in the playoffs. If the Rockets are genuinely focused on this season, they should keep Black.

Why not? and JayGoogle like this.
  10. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

But the guaranteed amount in Troy's contracts is just 600K. I doubt it's really going to make a big difference.

11. OTMax

OTMax Member

They should cut Onuaku but they won’t

12. D-rock

D-rock Member

If Rockets go with 4th center, it won't be Black. Ryno has already logged minutes at 5 spot too.

If Rockets ever get to point that Black is their best option at 5, season is done.

13. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

The most sensible decision is to cut Troy. He has only 600K guaranteed next season and doesn't improve our chances this year.

14. Sean Dr34ms

Sean Dr34ms Member

Hasheem Thabeast

Daddy Long Legs and J.R. like this.
  15. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

But you never know. What if Ryno, Nene and Wright all go down? Black at least gives you another options. And also I think Black is very underrated here. I've seen some glimpses of really good post defense from him this season so he maybe useful in some situations.

16. D-rock

D-rock Member

Corrosion said it best, you don't put yourself in luxury tax hell for a 4th string center.

Especially when Morey is setting up next season to be over luxury tax when team targets LeBron.

Need to think big picture. Plus Black will not be the linchpin to postseason success no matter your hope.

xtruroyaltyx likes this.
  17. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

What if tucker Ariza and Luc go down? *knock on wood*

If you lose three players that fill the same role of course having a fourth guy would be nice.

18. Gorki

Gorki Member

They should cut Sergio Llull

oh wait

D-rock and DonKnock like this.
  19. DaBeard

DaBeard Member

D-rock and DonKnock like this.
  20. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I'd prefer they kept Black .... as he can actually contribute here and there where I don't think Williams or Onuaku do anything but play with the cheerleaders pompoms .... but from what I understand , Black is the only one that keeps them out of the tax.

D-rock likes this.