1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who will be the starting QB for week 1?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Haymitch, Jan 13, 2016.

?

Who will be the starting QB for week 1?

1. Rookie

13.6%
  2. Mediocre retread

56.8%
  3. Formerly great QB

20.5%
  4. Bill O'Brien will start himself at QB

9.1%
  1. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I'm a fan of Clowney. I agree it's the second round where he took XSF that was the problem.

But it's not even a big deal if he had another plan. But it doesn't seem like he had a plan other than to guru Fitz Hoyer and Mallet.

Now we're forced to take a QB #1 in the draft

#21 Mr. Clutch, Jan 13, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2016
  2. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I guess, technically, he *could* have drafted Bridgewater, which is true of any and every player selected in 2014 draft because the Texans held the first overall pick - but he never passed on Bridgewater. It's possible he wanted him 33rd and was sucker-punched by the Vikings. But Bridgewater was never available when the Texans were on the clock.

Fair point. Bradford is better than Hoyer and we're likely better positioned v. KC. But... Philadelphia had, at the time, a viable trade chip. The Texans really didn't. So while he was indeed dealt, I don't think the Texans could have offered anything like Nick Foles.

Wasn't Fiederowitz a 2nd round pick? They dealt picks to get Strong; signed two FA WRs this offseason. Again, he inherited a lot of talent at both positions. Having Foster and AJ/DHop makes it far less urgent to grab a RB or WR.

3. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

I voted "Bill O'Brien will start himself at QB" just for fun.

4. eman

eman Contributing Member

Johnny Football is my guess. Case Keenum is my preference.

5. Indaface

Indaface Member

Brees/Rivers.
    Manning/RG3/Stafford.

Kaep/Bradford/Rookie.
    Savage
    x100,000,000
    Hoyer/Weeden

6. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

On the last point, I was being sarcastic.

Fiedo, shorts, Washington, polk and Strong haven't exactly been very impactful

7. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Savage.

It is now or never.

QB2: pick'em Hoyer/Weeden/Yates
    QB3: 2016 draftee

8. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Is it true that Savage has only played 1 real year of football in the last 5? If so, I don't see how we can count on him. Might as well look into signing Vince Young.

9. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Correct. He transferred twice in college so he only played in 2010 and 2013.

10. Mr. Dominant

Mr. Dominant Contributing Member

11. mick fry

mick fry Member

Savage will start. Just curious to what happened to Nick Foles? He showed alot of good things then just seems to have fell off the cliff. Could O'B turn him around or would he be just another project gone awry?

12. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

At this point, I think their attention should either be a difference-making veteran (Brees or River, for instance) or a rookie they believe has a chance. I don't see the near- or long-term upside of trying to rehabilitate a mediocre QB.

13. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

We don't have any idea whether Savage will be mediocre or not, but I would assume the staff is thinking it's his job to lose.

We don't know whether RGIII would be mediocre or not, we don't know if he can run at all or not. People think of him as a running QB but he throws a great ball. If he is cut I would sign him.

The starter could be Weeden or TJ Yates. I'm pretty sure though Coach BOB won't play a draft choice 1. because he would be the 3 or 4th ranked in a class I don't even see one sure fire starter in 2. it's just too much to learn and become proficient in in 1/2 a year.

14. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Brian Hoyer. This is Bill O'brien's team.

15. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

The opening day starter is definitely not on this team at the moment. That's all I know.