1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who will be the starting Power Forward Next Season? Two possible free agent choices.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Dream34, Mar 6, 2000.

1. Dream34

Dream34 Contributing Member

I am really concerned about who are starting power forward will be next year. I really think that Kenny Thomas/Carlos Rogers/K.Cato can make some excellent contributions coming off the bench. In addition, who knows if Carlos Rogers will be traded this off season in some sort of package deal.

I think there will be some good choices in the free agent market (and I mean besides Tim Duncan). I believe that Brian Grant and Bo Outlaw will be available this upcoming season as free agents? If they are in fact free agents than I think we should make a move for either of them. My preference is Brian Grant but I would be just as happy with Outlaw.

I know that Bo Outlaw played his college ball at Univ. of Houston. So that may help in our favor. But I can not see Orlando letting him go.

With Brian Grant I just feel we get the kind of warrior that can go up with the likes of Karl Malone, Chris Webber, Rashid Wallace, Tim Duncan. I still remember the way he played in last season. The man was a monster especially in the playoffs. The man not only held his own against the Mailman he showed the punk a think or two. With Rashid Wallace being the star of the Trailblazers, I think Grant realizes his playing time will always be limited.

If B. Grant is available I say the Rockets go after him full force.

------------------
    "There is Francis backpedaling at full speed to guard Seattle All-Star Gary Payton on a fast break and then leaping as if off a springboard to make a spectacular fingertip block on what appeared to be a sure layup."

2. RocketsFanFromLa

Yeah, Brian Grant would be a GREAT addition to the Rockets. (Or) better yet, how about Oliver Miller? He is the best big man in the NBA............... HA HA, well enough joking, I just hope the Rockets find someone who's young, talented, and can get the job done.

3. bumbum09

bumbum09 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think Cato should play the pf for the rockets. I have heard many experts say that he plays more like a 4 than a 5.

4. Pass 1st shoot 2nd

Pass 1st shoot 2nd Contributing Member

Hello all,
    Kenny Thomas is a small forward that's in need of a diet. He can shoot, pass, rebound, post up, and even put the ball on the floor. If he loses some weight, let's say from the 250-260 he's at now to around 230-240, he should be able to start or be able to split time at the 3-4 spot. That makes Cato our PF and limited center. What we need IMO are a starting center (Hakeem will be back-up and mentor if he doesn't retire), a small forward free-agent (need veteran here; KT can get minutes at 3-4 as back-up to free agent and Cato), and maybe another PF (adios Massenberg). I know that some other players have to go to do this, but we need to be two deep at every spot to contend with Portland, LA and San Antonio. What does everybody else think.

------------------
    I'm here to announce that on the undercard, I'm going to beat the hell out
    of Scottie Pippen. I'll fight him for free."

-- Charles Barkley at a lifetime achievement in sports banquet after boxer Michael Grant
    announced that he was fighting Lennox Lewis

5. SlamN

SlamN Member

Brian Grant would fit nicely into the Rockets system. Jelani McCoy is also a FA and reminds me of a Cato, but has a bit of offense. If we can't sign a top PF then I think we should get one in the draft. Etan Thomas is a defensive star at Syracuse...could develop into a Brian Grant type of player. The ideal situation IMO would for the Rockets to sign Grant and then draft Chris Porter or DeMarr Johnson.

6. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

To qoute heypard who quotes Francis3,

"Kenyon Martin!!!!"

Brian Grant would be okay too.

7. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Kenny doesn't appear overweight to me at all. I think he should do just the opposite -- add about 10 lbs of muscle, while not losing any of the quickness advantage he currently holds on other PFs. Trying to make him into a 3 would nullify his chief advantage, his quickness.

8. wizard

wizard Member

well with brian grant you have to question the guy's durablity. He seems to havent recover from his recent injuries and it was evident in the toronto game last night. Other then that, he a wonderfully talented player but his health will be a major concern.

9. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

CriscoKidd,

You make me laugh just by reading your name. You have a rare talent.

Give me a power veteran who can knock down the open jumper. Anything else would require too much money or force Rudy to change too much of his offensive philosophy. Then take Marcus Fizer in the draft and develop both KT and Fizer until substantial trade offers start coming in for one of them.

Whatever you do, your entire focus should be on no new big contracts. There is a better free agent crop coming out the following year. And we must be able to make Webber an offer in the event he decides he doesn't like smoking pot with Jason Williams anymore.

I know my capologist friends may come down on me that we have to have room to re-sign Mobley, SA, and Francis to big contracts, so we don't have the Dream windfall like we think. I say, we don't have any re-signings due that year except most likely Mobley. Hell, for Webber, I'd renounce Cuttin-nOs butt again and ask him to wait for a contract until after we sign .... Webber.

10. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Bo Outlaw can't shoot and does not know how to make any ind of offensive move. He could only provide a few rebounds and blocks - we have that. I think Eric Meeks would work well. And he would be cheap.

11. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

heypartner,

Don't most people think that there is some type of "wink" deal with SA to redo his contract after the first 2 years are up?

Mango

12. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Mango,

No...SA doesn't get Full Bird status for three years. His Bird status re-started when he switched teams via free agency.