1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who will be the #1 pick for the Houston Texans?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Drewdog, Oct 21, 2001.

1. Timing

Timing Member

I hope they trade the pick and get 5/6 picks in return. Casserly chumped the Saints for Ricky and that wasn't even the #1 overall pick in that draft. We'll probably get the #1 pick again after next year so hopefully the QB is there then.

2. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

well, unfortunately, ditka's not running an nfl franchise, so 5-6 picks likely isn't going to happen, though it's conceivable they could swap first round picks and collect an extra pick or two in the middle rounds, which wouldn't be so bad -- a team with no players on its roster could use the extra picks.

plus, the top 10-15 players in this draft could all be impact players; it's actually shaping up to be a really strong and deep draft, which can only get stronger and deeper once the underclassmen declare, so moving down doesn't necessarily mean sacrificing talent.

the flip side, of course, is that a deep draft means its unlikely teams are chomping at the bit for any one player, making a trade more difficult. there are at least 4 top-tier DT's, 2-3 DE's (depending on where you put kalimba edwards), 2-3 CB's, 2-3 RB's, 2-3 WR's (depending on who declares), 1-2 OT and 1 OLB (again, depending where you place edwards) -- all of whom are worthy of a top 15 pick right now.

my guess is the texans will, at this stage, take peppers #1, take the best player available at #33 and then might target harrington either mid-second or top of the third, assuming he's still around. i hear they like him, but at the same time, he probably isn't good enough to go in the top 33, though a lot can still happen.

3. TexasG

TexasG Member

From what I've been hearing Harrington won't make it out of the first round. He's starting to get a lot of Heisman Hype, and teams with lower first round picks would love to get a QB with his arm strenth, and size. Ken Dorsey on the other hand may be available at #33. You also have to factor in the Expansion Draft. Players like Steve Beuerlein, Jeff Blake, and Trent Dilfer may be available. Now those are not franchise QB's but taking one of those players would allow the Texans to focus this draft on other area's, and then take a shot a Manning or Simms next year.

4. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

forget about hitting a homerun...trade the pick for as many other picks as you can get. you're not drafting for need, you're drafting for quality in quantity. get as many picks as you can in the early rounds. perhaps some idiot GM might overpay for the first pick.

5. Hey Now!

you're right, harrington might be gone early. he and carr are easily the two best senior QB's available next year (dorsey's just a junior, btw), but i'm not sure i'd build a franchise around either one of them. could be a team like the steelers or dolphins could nab them in the middle of the first round -- a team with parts that need one or two more to be really, really good, but if i were houston, i'd pick them no higher than mid-second round, possibly not until the third. if they're gone, they're gone. but that gives you a safety net: if they pan out, you got a steal. if not, you're not tied up in big money and can still afford to draft simms or manning or whoever in '03.

as for veteran QB's -- blake will probably be on the expansion list, but he has a big contract and is an ok, but by no means great QB -- foolish to tie up money on him. dilfer will be a FA, as will buerlein, i think -- did he sign for more than a year with denver? the texans won't draft or sign him, regardless. i still think ferotte, who will be a FA, will be the guy they sign.

6. Hey Now!

in theory, i agree with you, but the texans have a team to sell to a city becoming more and more apathetic toward its sports teams, so while i doubt they'll do something for the sake of marketing a team, i think mcnair and co. would like a franchise cornerstone face to help sell remaining PSL's and to generate some excitement.

running continuous highlight loops of peppers on the web site would generate massive excitement -- he's a tremendous talent.

7. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Ric -- Houston's a great football town..i don't think they have to worry about selling PSL's or tickets in year one. The place is already 80% full of season ticket holders. I don't see any college stud out there (like Michael Vick last year) that the Texans could draft that would make an appreciable difference in ticket sales, either.

8. Live

Live Member

Put me with the "Peppers for #1" people.

Put me with the "trade for multiple picks" people, too.

But the big question is:

What will the Cowboys do with the #2 pick, draft Major Applewhite or Ron Curry? :D :p

9. TexasG

TexasG Member

I have a feeling if the Cowboys get the #2 Pick (Detroit is making a strong case for it) they're going to draft a DT. Henderson would be great at this spot for the Cowboys. I don't see them taking a QB with this pick (at least not his year) because Jones seems willing to give Leaf a shot. If Leaf does good this year my bet is that he'll wait one more year to take a shot at Simms or Manning.

10. Live

Live Member

TexasG,

All good-natured ribbing aside, if the play their cards right, the Cowboys could make a Charger-like turnaround next year. Their D is pretty decent and, of course, they have some nice skill players.

If they do end up at #2 or in the top 10, do you think they should try to trade down and acquire more picks, or take the best available/need player?

More picks = more talent and more chances to "get it right", but also more inexperienced players, which seems to be one of the Cowboys' biggest problems IMO.

11. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

More picks does not necessarily equate "better" for the Cowboys. JJ has drafted a bunch of long shot prospects and projects in the past. Given more picks, he'll probably do the same (except for drafting my boy Dat Nguyen way back when). Either they draft a major stud (one that's "Jerry-proof") or they trade down and not make bonehead draft decisions (hack... cough... Quincy Carter... cough). The latter may be too much to ask, though. As long as Jerry is running the show (business and draft-wise and personnel and coaching and supposedly calling plays), the Cowboys will have problems. Stick to business, JJ, or suffer thy consequences!

As Darth Vader said: "There is... no hope for me... son."

12. Major

Major Member

<B>What will the Cowboys do with the #2 pick, draft Major Applewhite or Ron Curry?</B>

Greg Cicero should be available -- don't forget him! Or, if they really like the option offense, maybe Eric Crouch? :)

As for the Texans, I say don't even draft a QB this year. Fill up all your other talent positions and then ....

Sign Major Applewhite as a free agent and start him! :)

We're going to go 0-16 or so anyway, why not let him have a year in the NFL? It would attract a huge fan base all over Texas. With the #1 pick next year, take the stud QB (not Simms, hopefully :)), and you're all set.

The QB in year 1 is likely going to get destroyed anyway -- why get your future-star hurt when you could let Major get bashed.

:D

13. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Pittsburgh runs the 3-4 to perfection with Joey Porter , He is their fast Blitzing Line Backer , For the 3-4 to work you need to have Two good cover corners or at least a good CB and a Good FS . Pittsburgh has been winning a lot of games by playing a Cover Two with DeWayne Washington and Chad Scott bumping the WR's and letting the Safties have take them while they cover the sidelines , The LBs will spread out and cover the field , About 2-3 times a series Porter will come in on a Blitz if the DT does his job Porter will have a free shot at the QB which will result in a sack or hurried throw towards the sidelines thus giving Washington and Scott free shots at the ball . They both have Touchdowns this year already) .

#53 moestavern19, Oct 23, 2001
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2001
  14. TexasG

TexasG Member

If I had my choice I would have Jones keep the pick, and take a stud DT. Having a stud at that position would make our DE's better which in turn makes the overall defense better. I'm on board with defense win championships. Our defense isn't that bad right now, and if we are able to improve on that it gives our very weak offense a better chance to win. I agree 100% with VesceySux ... 1st I agree, Vescey Sux ... 2nd having more picks doesn't mean that the Cowboys will be better off. Jones is not a very good judge of talent. He has had a couple of good picks such as Larry Allen, Dat, Greg Ellis, and Kareem Larrimore however the majority of his picks have gone on to be extreme busts. I'm "hoping" that even Jerry can't blow the #2 overall pick.

15. Hey Now!

it was a great football town, now... i'm not so sure. between jones moving in, far too many fans sticking with the titans and the overall decay of the city's sports fan base in general, i'd say mcnair still has some selling to do.

granted, i don't think there's a franchise player out there, either, but at the same time, i think it'd be nice to get someone to emody and define the franchise.

all good ribbing aside, no they can't. one of the biggest fallacies in all of professional sports is that the cowboys have some talent on their roster. do you realize nearly half of its roster is undrafted, unsigned free agents?

there's not a single player on either side of the ball that you would build a franchise around with the exception of larry allen. others, like coakley, nguyen, woodsen, galloway, are nice compliment players, but by no means great players.

qcar is a joke, as is the notion of leaf turning it around (puh-lease!), emmitt is well past his prime, the offensive line is vastly overrated, there's zero production or skill at tight end, the receivers are not deep, or talented, the defensive line is always hurt, the linebackers are decent and the secondary is ok, but aging and the corners are suspect. san diego had far more to work with and a competent GM to boot.

if you're honestly expecting jerrah to turn things around, sorry -- you're delusional. he's an egomanical no-nothing know it all who is up to his ears in his own feces and absolutely steadfast determined to prove everyone wrong about him, which makes him even more dangerous.

the cowboys will be mired in mediocrity for years to come.

by fan base all over texas, don't you really mean you'd attract the small faction of whiney longhorn fans who refuse to give simms any benefit of the doubt? if so, i have some rather distressing news: there aren't very many of you, and worse, you're not a factor in bob mcnair's decisions.

and btw, the vast majority of expansion teams are competitive within the first three years -- it's not that desperate.

16. FLAGRANT1

FLAGRANT1 Member

The Cowboys suck!!

You may continue.

17. Major

Major Member

<B>by fan base all over texas, don't you really mean you'd attract the small faction of whiney longhorn fans who refuse to give simms any benefit of the doubt? if so, i have some rather distressing news: there aren't very many of you, and worse, you're not a factor in bob mcnair's decisions. </B>

No, I mean University of Texas fans. Even most fans who prefer Simms over Applewhite still appreciate what Applewhite did in his years starting at UT. Maybe not to you, but Major Applewhite is loved by the majority of UT fans -- just look at the cheers he gets at UT games (and no, they are not all calling for him to start) -- if not as the best QB for the team, then for his character, class, and commitment to the team.

Unfortunately for you, this has nothing to do with Simms vs. Applewhite. Any time you bring a fan favorite and popular home-state player to a team, it benefits in terms of building a fan base. Not so much in Houston, but in Dallas, Austin, and other parts of the state. If you're in competition with the Cowboys for everyday fans (and with the Cowboys sucking, the opportunity is there to create converts), starting Applewhite or other well-known Texas players would create a huge fan base in Austin. Similarly, taking a popular A&M player would help create that same feel amongst A&M fans.

If Simms was a senior, the same would apply to him, but I presume he will be staying at UT another year.

18. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

Wouldn't that be hilarious? Simms and Major in Houston?
    :D

Cowboys will never win another super bowl with JJ at the helm. For those of you who want to point out that he's already won 3, you can thank Jimmy Johnson and Herschel Walker for that.

19. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

I could see Major selling a few tickets to Texans games. Heck, Bucky Richardson, Aggie legend and bad QB, was on the Oilers roster for 3 or 4 seasons despite his lack of anything resembling talent. He even started for a few games, following the end of the Commander Cody era (which was about 3 games after it began).

20. Major

Major Member

Simple version of it:

It's hard to get casual fans to watch an 0-16 (or thereabouts) teams.

It's much easier if people have a player they want to watch. In Texas, I guarantee you substantially more people would watch if Applewhite (or Simms) was starting then if Trent Dilfer or Joey Harrington were starting. After a year, you've gotten people "hooked" a little such that they know the team and it's "their team", then Applewhite is gone and you draft your long-term QB.