1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who was McDyess scorching?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by oakdogg, Jan 21, 2000.

1. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

I didn't get the game, but my guess is Thomas and some on Bullard. I'm just curious, because though Thomas has excited me with his play of late, he wasn't known as a great defender when the Rockets drafted him and he's fairly short for a PF. As far as the future is concerned, I hope he's not the next Kenny Smith (weak link) of the Rox defense. For that matter, Francis seemed to have gotten toasted by Van Exel as well. Maybe it's just a rookie thing.

2. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

Mcdyess is a tough match up for any PF in the league. He is the most athletic, prolly the quickest, has the best hops, and is at least average in size and strength.

But you are right, there is plenty of room for kenny to improve on defense.

------------------
    "Don't they get cable in Canada ?" Keith olbermann, after watching hakeem block terry catledge's shot 5 times.

3. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

McDyess was hitting his turnaround jumper last night and when that happens, nobody is going to stop him. Whenever Hakeem was in the game he was usually matched up with McDyess.

Van Excel was also shooting the ball really well last night, but he did get alot of points off of pick and rolls where he was allowed to go all the way to the hoop uncontested.

4. verse

verse Contributing Member

antonio was torching anyone near him last night, but he looked to score the easiest against:

1) pig
    2) dream

pig didn't fight him for position AT ALL, and he is 2 unathletic to contest his shot.

dream was too slow for him and out off shape.

honestly, once he got the step back jumper going, no one on the rox had a chance.

5. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

It was great to see the Rockets get the "W," but McDyess was the highlight reel last night. I swear, I thought he was going to jump up and over the backboard a few times. I sure wish he would have wanted to play here. What a shame; he lives here, but wanted to be the "stud" on his team immediately, and I guess he couldn't do that playing with Dream and Barkley.

6. Steve Phrancis

McDyess is 6-9 with a "43 in vertical. 'bout the only people that could guard him would be Garnett or Webber. I knew he was going to be a problem, but you just have to work at their other weaknesses where we have strenghts.
    James Posey the self proclaimed "Kobe Stopper",

7. DaneB

DaneB Member

NO, Ruben Patterson is the so-called "Kobe-stopper", he plays for the Sonics.