1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who the HELL is Anthony Carter?!?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by thacabbage, Jan 21, 2000.

1. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

The Miami Heat were linked to ongoing trade talks with Toronto for Tracy McGrady. They were said to have offered Anthony Carter. [not exact]

What the HELL!?!? True, the Raptors rejected the offer, but that the Raptors didn't laugh in Riley's face is unbelievable to me! Tracy McGrady's trade value must be lower than I thought!

And now I read that they are interested in Mookie Blaylock?!? Mookie "the blackhole" Blaylock?!

What the hell is going on!?

Rudy must not like Tracy McGrady, because if these reports are true, he could already be in a Rocket uniform. Bryce Drew is better than these discussed chumps!

2. rocketsfan34

rocketsfan34 Contributing Member

Anthony Carter was the rookie PG filling in for Timmy during his injury. He proved to be a good replacement and I'm sorry but way better than Drew.

3. thacabbage

Thanks for clearing that up...

But is he better than Mobley?

4. rocketsfan34

rocketsfan34 Contributing Member

Mobley...umm, in terms of value about the same. Carter would provide a solid 10 pts, 5 assists a game, and 2 rebounds a game. Better I'm not sure, becuase they play differently. Mobley's streaky and creates. Carter dishes the ball out like Drew.

5. Stevie Wonder

Stevie Wonder Member

I saw Anthony Carter play at the University of Hawaii and I always thought that kid could play in the NBA. He has deceptive quickness and very good ball handling skills. Also he is a perfect Pat Riley type player who plays good position D and creates for his teamates. Needs to improve his jumper.

------------------
    Stevie Wonder says "they call him FRANCHISE because his dunks are for sale at an arena near you."

6. RocketSiv

RocketSiv Member

Wasn't he injury prone in college or when he got an injury it would be a nagging injury, or something like that?

7. vince

vince Member

Toronto must be really getting desperate. The sweat runs down their eyebrows dripping to their cheeks. They seemed to play a bluff on a weak hand and are straigning. McGrady is gone after this season, and they know that. Oh, and every other NBA know the destination is Florida. He is not worth the Rent a player type such as Randy Johnson. So, Orlando knows Mcgrady is going to them for nothing. Miami's offer is the best out there for Toronto.

McGrady is too overhyped!!! Vince Carter soon to follow. He's coming to Houston!!!

8. Steve_Francis_rules

I also saw Anthony Carter play at the University of Hawaii and I was shocked when he went undrafted in '98.

9. Azim da Dream

Azim da Dream Member

The Raptors gettng Anthony Carter for McGrady is definately news to me. Carter is a solid backup with athleticism, but I imagine Miami would have to throw in a few more substantial players not only to make up for the salary differential, but the talent as well.

As for Blaylock, the Raps are showing interest, but TMac wasn't mentioned. GS is in desperate need of some inside help, and TOronto has depth in that area. Possibly Yogi Stewart and/or John Thomas (this guy is underated), Alvin Williams and a few picks. Blaylock's stock has clearly fallen in the past few years, when he was among the top 5-7 PGs in the league, I don't think age has slowed him down at 31, but injuries have. He might be what the Raps need though, a vet PG who can distribute the ball and get 7-10 pts.

As for McGrady, people in Toronto are starting to get on him. Many are saying that he his value is simply overated in the trade market, and while he has had a good season so far, his minutes are only in the mid-twenties.

Azim da Dream

10. alaskansnowman

But is he better than Mobley?

Rather than discussing all the strengths that Mobley has over Carter, I'd rather just sum it up in 1 word. NOPE.

11. popeye

popeye Member

As I posted several days ago, Riley is pushing for some improvement as he sees his team exactly where it was last year .... that is, they play a competitive game with some respected numbers, but they still lack fundamental strength at the center and 1/2 position.

They are going to play in the playoffs, then bow out and watch the resty on TV. Just like the last several years.

Yeah, I know what you are thinking .... but Zo is a great power forward, NOT a center. He plays an impassioned game, he's aggressive, he's got talent coming out of his ears, but he is a power froward. If they could get him to that position and have an average (hell even an effective but sub-average)center play it, they would be miles ahead in the East ...

Riley wants a complimentry 2/3 to anchor his "sliding offense", and to take the offensive stress of Zo.

He has been looking at Hughes, McGrady, and Dickerson.(Yeah Dickerson). And a couple more combos. But Riley is the one guy in this league who wuill give up almost nothing in his roster. Regardless of his press releases and shaking of his head,he will make a move soon.

Here's a question for ya'll. Who would you give up to get Dickerson back????????????

[​IMG]

12. thacabbage

Cuttino Mobley.

MD would be the perfect compliment to Steve Francis' penetration-dish game.

13. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

popeye

Riley wants to make a leap forward, but low draft position hurts his chances.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    I can't see what Miami would give up that would interest the Griz.
    What is in it for the Griz?

-------------------------------------------------------------------
    Walt is the easy answer, but that isn't the right answer to the MD question.
    There would have to be some third team involved in this scenario.

I will have to think about what makes sense for all sides of this equation.

Mango

14. thacabbage

popeye:

Is the " [​IMG]" any indication of what Rudy and CD are working on at this moment?

Please say it is, so we can let the Mobley vs. Dickerson debates get started. [​IMG]

15. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

Either Drew or Cat would be gone with MD back.

Mango