1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who should the Texans fire?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Astrodome, Jan 3, 2017.

?

Who should go?

1. BoB

2 vote(s)
    2.5%
  2. Rick Smith

51 vote(s)
    64.6%
  3. Both

24 vote(s)
    30.4%
  4. Neither

2 vote(s)
    2.5%
  1. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Nobody says a team will win because of fans.

There's plenty posters who rode with BoB coming into the season. They just changed their minds after more information was given. Same as you did.

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Don't be so sure, that's a very Colin Cowherd type of thing to say. I'm sure he has some fans that could hear things like that and parrot it.

3. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

4. Creepy Crawl

Creepy Crawl Member

Rick "Godfather" Smith.

[​IMG]

The guys 3rd round bust are just unbelievable fails.I'm not too happy with butt-chin, but It's time for a different approach completely, with the approach to building this team.

J.R. likes this.
  5. Wolverrines

Wolverrines Member

Everybody that plays QB and LG along with the front office and coaching staff excluding Mike vrabel and Romeo Crennel

6. Nimo

Nimo Member

No new head coach is going to retain the previous DC. So if they lose O'Brien, they're probably losing Crennel too. I don't think Rick Smith is the problem, but he definitely isn't the solution. But again, you bring in a new GM you have a new power struggle with O'Brien. I say start with forcing O'Brien to get a real OC and/or QB coach. As much as I hate the average 9-7, I really don't want to have to go through another 2-14 season. Maybe poach Kubiak's guys now that he is retiring. Greg Knapp?

7. alethios

alethios Member

Every time I read your posts, I read in the voice of Jeff Bridges...I don't know why.

Mr. Clutch and Tha_Dude like this.
  8. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

I think OB gets one more year and he will probably have to fire his OC or be demanded to find another one. If the offense still doesn't improve, then he's gone. If OB refuses to fire Godsey or is too stubborn to do it, I am not sure Rick and McNair keep him on board.

3 coaches under Rick Smith is a bit much.

Brando2101 likes this.
  9. Nimo

Nimo Member

Another benefit of Greg Knapp is the zone blocking scheme. That seems to be more successful and more conducive to Lamar Miller's running style.

10. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Can't believe it took until the 2nd page for this.

11. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Sycophant Smith and it's long overdue. Should have been fired when Kubes was fired but somehow that dirty weasel survived.

12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Exactly.

If it wasn't his decision to extend Schaub, if it wasn't his decision to extend an injured Cushing, if it wasn't his decision to sign Ed Reed, and if it wasn't his decision to get rid of Kubiak mid-season, post stroke, and put Dennison/Wade in charge (which was an utter dumpster fire)... (of which Smith claimed all of this at one point or another)

What was he really doing? And why should he be given those sort of decision making capabilities now?

13. the shark

the shark Member

I think many of us agree that Rick Smith should have been fired yrs ago. That said, he is who he is, and the responsibility with his job performance (and keeping him on board) is ALL on McNair!!

Successful organizations start at the top, and until McNair pulls his head out of his @SS (and fires Smith) this franchise will flounder in mediocrity. As long as the fans keep filling the seats and buying the merchandise (even though the team isn't in a position to make a deep run in the playoffs) there's no way in hell he's going to fire Smith.

14. oelman44

oelman44 Member

I don't know if this is serious or not, but I laughed out loud

15. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

This appears to be a a recurring theme with professional football in Houston. In my mind, all blame for this mess starts at the top:

Mike Freeman's 10-Point Stance: In the NFL, Bad Owners Make for Bad Franchises
    By Mike Freeman, NFL National Lead Writer Jan. 4, 2016

NFL owners are biggest reason their teams stink

1. Trickle-Down Intelligence, or Lack Of It, Plagues the NFL
    In San Francisco, 49ers owner Jed York, after firing his third coach in three years, was asked at a news conference whether he was competent enough to make the decisions on the next general manager and coaching hires. It was a brutal question, but a needed and fair one.

York said it didn't matter what his response was because it wouldn't satisfy the questioner. He was right. After firing Jim Harbaugh, the 49ers have made lots of cash off the field, but on it, they've been a swirling pool of poo. The biggest reason for that is York.

In Buffalo, general manager Doug Whaley told reporters he had no input in the firing of Rex Ryan, and didn't know why Ryan was fired.

The owner of the Bills, Terry Pegula, later contacted John Wawrow of the Associated Press to say the Bills were not in disarray even though Whaley didn't know what was happening with Ryan. When an owner has to say the franchise isn't in disarray, it usually is.

In L.A., Rams ownership gave Jeff Fisher an extension before firing him a week later.

And in San Diego (for now), the Chargers maintained their aura of cluelessness, firing Mike McCoy a year after they almost fired him but instead fired a handful of his assistants.

On and on the circus goes.

If you want to know why the dregs of the league stay the dregs of the league, look no further than the owners of the teams. Not the coaches. Not the general managers. The owners.

Consider this from The MMQB's Albert Breer: There have been 45 coaching changes over the past six years, and 25 of the NFL's 32 teams have accounted for those changes.

The seven not on that list—the Bengals, Packers, Patriots, Ravens, Saints, Seahawks and Steelers—all have something in common: good, stable ownership. Yes, that includes the Bengals and Saints, too.

Ownership is the biggest reason why teams struggle or remain competitive; whether a decision is made rashly or not, smartly or not. A good owner, like New England's Robert Kraft, can help create a decades-long tradition of winning. Someone like York can potentially do the opposite.

But owners seem to evade criticism because they aren't as visible. It's much easier (and I'm guilty of this) to point the finger at coaches, whose decisions are more immediately tangible. Ownership decisions play out over time, but they are no less impactful and carry greater import for a club's long-term health.

Though York didn't answer whether he could make the right decision for the Niners moving forward, I give him credit for facing the heat. Where are some of the other owners from these perennial losers?

Good owners know when to make changes but, perhaps more important, when not to.

Years ago, the Giants were under mounting public pressure to fire Tom Coughlin, and last summer, they heard calls to fire general manager Jerry Reese. They held firm in both cases, and saw Coughlin lead them to two Super Bowls and watched Reese's moves transform their defense this season into a unit no team wants to play.

Critics of Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin have occasionally chimed in about their desire to see him gone, but Pittsburgh's ownership kept him, and here the Steelers are again, back in the postseason, with a good shot to reach the AFC championship game. The Steelers have had three coaches in the last 45 years and six Super Bowl wins. That's smart ownership.

But the bulk of the league doesn't have a Rooney or a Mara or a Kraft in the owner's office. Does that mean they are doomed for eternity?

When you speak to coaches and executives in football about NFL owners, they all say the same thing: Bad owners become good owners by changing their methods, and good owners become Hall of Famers by expanding their already successful ways.

But these coaches and execs look at the ways some owners have handled recent coaching changes and don't think they've learned or adapted.

There is a sense that in San Francisco and Buffalo in particular, ownership will make the same errors they've made before. York is not highly thought of around the NFL for his football knowledge, which spurred a collective chuckle in league circles when York quipped that owners can't be fired.

He's right, but it still sounded weird, naive almost.

In other words, there's no reason for the Patriots, Giants or Steelers to worry about losing their edge anytime soon.

I really like McNair. He's everything that ass clown POS Bud Adams never was. But McNair's ownership has not proven to be all that successful primarily due to the organization he setup when he won the franchise rights for a team in Houston. At that time, I recall posting that the one thing McNair could not do was to recreate the Houston Oilers experience for the fans. And while he's done so many things right (especially by not being a horse's ass) his choice of people to run this franchise has been less than stellar. What he's doing is simply not working and as the article points out, he must change his method in order to succeed. Once their playoff stint is done, then we'll see just what McNair's ownership is all about.

zeeshan2 likes this.
  16. Chilly_Pete

Chilly_Pete Contributing Member

They need to get a real offensive coordinator. The offense is putrid.

17. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Yeah, they usually don't. But you'd have to be stupid to not bring back the coaching staff of the #1 ranked defense. I think it'd be more of a question of Romeo deciding to leave if OB goes. Like if OB gets another job that Romeo follows him to be his DC there, similar to the way Wade became Kubiak's DC again when he got to Denver.

18. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

We've all heard about how McNair wanted to follow the Pittsburgh model. I think he looked at this and thought stability was the answer to a successful franchise. But I think he missed the part about stability being good only if you make competent hires. If you hire incompetent people, no amount of stability is going to make you successful. In fact, it will prevent it.

We've seen Smith with two coaches over 11 seasons. We saw one of those coaches immediately win a Super Bowl with a different organization. That should be a huge black mark for Smith and the Texans front office. I'd honestly like to see OB with a different GM. I can just imagine OB going someplace else and having more success simply because Rick Smith isn't the GM.

19. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

20. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Nobody is getting fired. This is the Texans we're talking about. Rick Smith and McNair are like brothers at this point. And B.O.B will probably get a 8 year stint similar to Kubiak.