1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

who should be the next member of Olympic squad???

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Drag-On 88, Mar 14, 2000.

1. Drag-On 88

Drag-On 88 Member

since Tom Gugliotta got injured, a spot opened up for the Olympic squad this summer... who should get it???

i would have to say Carter is a favorite to get it since they both play the 3 spot and plus he's the most exciting player in the NBA... [​IMG]

[This message has been edited by Drag-On 88 (edited March 14, 2000).]

2. Francis3

Francis3 Member

I heard Carter doesnt want to go.

There's a chance Toronto Raptors star Vince Carter could be asked to fill a vacancy on the United States Olympic basketball team, but his coach feels he might decline the offer.

A severe knee injury to Phoenix forward Tom Gugliotta means he won't be able to play on the U.S. team.

Raptors coach Butch Carter says "there's a very good chance" Carter would turn down an invitation to fill the spot.

The coach said it was painful for Carter when he was turned down in January, and he has since enrolled in summer school at North Carolina for this offseason.

He is only a few credits shy of his degree, and Butch Carter speculates his star player would not want to give that up to be the 12th player on the U.S. Olympic team.

Carter said Saturday that playing in the Olympics is the farthest thing from his mind, although that was before it became known the extent of Gugliotta's injury.

------------------
    President of the Moochie Norris FAN CLUB

[This message has been edited by Francis3 (edited March 14, 2000).]

3. Drag-On 88

Drag-On 88 Member

i change my mind... the spot must be filled by... [​IMG] PIG MILLER [​IMG]

ooops,i forgot about Carter wanting to finish up his degree this summer... so i would guess that Webber (not sure if he's already on the team), Kobe, or maybe even Iverson would be asked to fill the spot

4. sir scarvajal

sir scarvajal Member

Webber is more deserving and plays a more needed position than Carter anyway. Besides, it not like any of the games will be decided by a critical time out call or anything.

5. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

If Carter going to be a whiny little baby about being passed up after his rookie season for a spot on the Olympic team, I don't want him in there. You have to pay your dues before you get perks like this and if he isn't going to recognize that, he's going to have to be made to recognize it.

6. Drag-On 88

Drag-On 88 Member

exactly sir, now that i think about it...it doesn't even matter who they pick... let Steve Kerr on the team... no matter what, the games will not be close!!! [​IMG]

7. Nutcracker

Nutcracker Contributing Member

i say carter should go. i think one of the reasons for this team is too market the NBA, and what better way then to have your most marketable player be on the team

------------------

8. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

I think he was referring to the timeout CWebb called which costed Michigan the national championship, a few years back...

------------------
    "Sources tell me that the Blazers held a team meeting after the two losses..." - "Pistol" Pete Vescey with the inside scoop.

9. Drag-On 88

Drag-On 88 Member

oooooh!!!...i get it now... [​IMG] ... thanks cabbage, i forgot about his timeout fiasco

------------------

10. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

I'd send Webber to the olympics...He's a great player.

------------------
    COME BACK CHARLES!

11. sir scarvajal

sir scarvajal Member

Yeah, I was throwing a low blow about that time-out call years ago. Webber is a great player and seems to be a pretty good guy (not that I really know), but he will always be the butt of a few jokes because of that play. Cabbage-man, thanks for clarifying the reference, I was hoping for a few chuckles-even by those who saw it as a slightly cheap shot. "Comedy = tragedy + distanceā€ ya know--Woody Allen (I think, or maybe it was Shakespeare)

[This message has been edited by sir scarvajal (edited March 20, 2000).]

12. 34dream

34dream Member

Sir scarvajal, what was so bad about the call? Never heard of that.

------------------

13. sir scarvajal

sir scarvajal Member

It was the Michigan-UNC NCAA championship game, Michigan had returned to the game two strait years after losing in the previous finals to Duke. UNC team included marginal pro's at best if I recall (Montross, Shammond Wiiliams??), Michigan was loaded with the Fab Five (+ that great Rocket Eric Riley). UNC had the ball with like 30 seconds left and was up by 1 point. UNC misses the shot, and either Webber gets the rebound, or another player gets it and passes it to Webber. Webber goes and crosses half court with the ball and calls a timeout to set up the game winning shot with maybe 20 seconds left. Except Michigan was out of timeouts--the ref has to call a technical foul, two shots for UNC and the ball--game over. It was one of the biggest mental gaffs in college sports history.

Like I said, Webber is a great player, it was just unfortunately bad timing for such a mistake. He went pro after that play and Webber, Howard or Rose lead Michigan teams never did make it over the hump.

------------------

14. thacabbage

I believe Shammond Williams was on the Carter,Cota,Jamison UNC teams, not the Montross one...

------------------
    "Sources tell me that the Blazers held a team meeting after the two losses..." - "Pistol" Pete Vescey with the inside scoop.

15. sir scarvajal

sir scarvajal Member

Oh yeah, it just came to me it was Donald Williams. Actually a pretty similar player if I remember to Shammond, another 6' 2" ish guard who could fill it up from the outside. I guess neither one made it in the pros.

------------------

16. Drag-On 88

Drag-On 88 Member

actually, Shammond is on the Sonics, but he doesn't get much playing time.

ps. he needs to get rid of that afro [​IMG]

------------------

17. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

Prediction:

The Olympic committee picks Thomas Hamilton.

------------------
    HOOP-T

Hey Shaq, Acme called, and they want their bricks back!

18. Azim da Dream

Azim da Dream Member

HOOP-T, they'd have to open up 2 roster spots for that one.

Azim da Dream

19. Drag-On 88

Drag-On 88 Member

ha..ha..ha.. maybe even 3 spots [​IMG]

------------------

20. thacabbage

Yea, Shammond is another one of those great College two-guards that could fill it up, but don't have the height to play the 2 in the NBA. Miles Simon also comes to mind. He was listed at about 6'4 with shoes, but he's actually closer to about 6'2'-6'3. You either have to be an ALL-WORLD talent like Allen Iverson or you have to have the size to make it as a 2 in the big leagues.

It's really a shame, as so many talented guys fit this mold, while at the same time, any 7 footer who can catch a ball gets signed up.

------------------

[This message has been edited by thacabbage (edited March 22, 2000).]