1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who should be the next head coach for the Texans?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Raven, Oct 13, 2013.

1. CCorn

CCorn Member

Marciano

2. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Sumlin, Cowher, Lovie Smith, or a Gruden (John or Jay?) in no particular order.

3. MystikArkitect

Depends. Uncle Bob is an unusual owner. Has no desire to be an "it" guy. Has that whole "let's hire good ole boys" mentality. See Dom Capers/Gary Kubiak.

Spineless yes-men are Bob's cup of tea. So whoever's out there that fits that billing...that's our guy.

4. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Bill Cowherd is not coming back as a head coach, nor should he. He's been out too long.

I think John Gruden is enjoying his celebrity a little too much to come back. His brother is an interesting thought...but when have his offenses really set the world on fire? There are some that are wondering if he's the problem, not Andy Dalton.

I think Bob McNair has learned from the Pittsburgh Steelers School of Stability (3 head coaches since 1969). I'm not saying it's right or wrong, but it's what I think he's trying to be. Problem is, Capers and Kubiak clearly weren't and aren't the answers. It's time to move on.

5. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Just a list of current offensive coordinators:

AFC
    Team Name Year hired
    Buffalo Bills Nathaniel Hackett 2013
    Miami Dolphins Mike Sherman 2012
    New England Patriots Josh McDaniels 2012
    New York Jets Marty Mornhinweg 2013
    Baltimore Ravens Jim Caldwell 2012
    Cincinnati Bengals Jay Gruden 2011
    Cleveland Browns Norv Turner 2013
    Pittsburgh Steelers Todd Haley 2012
    Houston Texans Rick Dennison 2010
    Indianapolis Colts Pep Hamilton 2013
    Jacksonville Jaguars Jedd Fisch 2013
    Tennessee Titans Dowell Loggains 2012
    Denver Broncos Adam Gase 2013
    Kansas City Chiefs Doug Pederson 2013
    Oakland Raiders Greg Olson 2013
    San Diego Chargers Ken Whisenhunt 2013

NFC

Dallas Cowboys Bill Callahan 2012
    New York Giants Kevin Gilbride 2006
    Philadelphia Eagles Pat Shurmur 2013
    Washington Redskins Kyle Shanahan 2010
    Chicago Bears Aaron Kromer 2013
    Detroit Lions Scott Linehan 2009
    Green Bay Packers Tom Clements 2012
    Minnesota Vikings Bill Musgrave 2011
    Atlanta Falcons Dirk Koetter 2012
    Carolina Panthers Mike Shula 2013
    New Orleans Saints Pete Carmichael, Jr. 2009
    Tampa Bay Buccaneers Mike Sullivan 2012
    Arizona Cardinals Harold Goodwin 2013
    San Francisco 49ers Greg Roman 2011
    St. Louis Rams Brian Schottenheimer 2012
    Seattle Seahawks Darrell Bevell 2011

6. J.R.

J.R. Member

“Never say never because then you become a hypocrite. I’ve seen too many other people in my profession say never and come back. Always keep doors open in life. That’s the important thing to do.” —CBS NFL analyst Bill Cowher, to Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, on his exile from coaching, and his chances of returning to it now that he a cushy job in TV and as a commercial spokesman.

(King): I don’t doubt a lucrative offer with the right team could tempt Cowher, but he’s been out six years and nine months now. The earliest he could re-take a job, 2014, would be eight seasons after he last coached. That’s an awful long time to be out of the game—to have seen all your assistant coaches from the Steelers years scatter with the wind, and to be used to a totally different lifestyle than the all-consuming one a head coach experiences.

7. BE4RD

BE4RD Member

If Kubiak somehow gets fired (which is nearly impossible this year because of the cache he has after the past two seasons), Wade Phillips will be our new head coach.

If you search your heart, you know this is true.

A better thread would be "who do you want to be the Texans offensive coordinator next year?"

8. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Gary Kubiak is not getting fired. I think they could go 2-14 and still not see a change at head coach.

9. justtxyank

Honestly, and I've harped on this for a few years now, the Texans are bad at drafting. They find a few impact players every now and then and that masks the fact that they do not find quality rotation players that play above replacement level.

The team needs a total organizational overhaul, but that is not up Bob's alley.

10. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

This is what many fans want :) (not me)

[​IMG]

12. justtxyank

I'd take Sumlin. He's got the personality type to succeed as a head coach and I believe in aggressive playcallers. However, I'm not interested if he's a "my system only" type of guy.

13. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Well, that's depressing.

14. Chilly_Pete

Chilly_Pete Contributing Member

If they go 2-14 Kubiak will be fired.

If they go 5-11 or better I think he is back next year.

15. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Get off Summy's nuts.

16. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

I believe you are wrong. This season had the promise of a Super Bowl and has fallen in to ignominy. It is breaking the hearts of the fan base and embarrassing the owner . You can't replace the team or the the owner, but you can replace the head coach or general manager. It's really the only option to move on and recharge hope.

17. solid

solid Contributing Member

Almost anyone not named Kubiak or Phillips. I love Wade and his dad, but he is Kubiak part II. We need a firebrand, a motivator, an innovator, a hard nosed competitor.

18. justtxyank

I hope you are right. I've called for Kubiak to be gone for years now and never believed in the mirage of the playoffs that bought him a contract extension. His flaws as a head coach and organizational leader are still there and they are a detriment to this team.

I know it's a minor example, but the fact that ST coach is STILL here is a perfect example. Kubiak went so far as to bring in an assistant to help the ST coach before he'll let him go. He just can't do it.

19. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Do you all really think Bob McNair is going to pay 2 head coaches?!?!?!? Give me a break...

20. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

I honestly wouldn't mind that.

Especially if we can use the high first round pick on a game changing guy like Sammy Watkins or Marqise Lee. Maybe even another dominant lineman like Jake Matthews.