1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who should be the 8th man in the playing rotation?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by basketballholic, Nov 12, 2015.

Tags:
?

Who should be the 8th man in the playing rotation?

Poll closed Dec 12, 2015.
  1. Brewer

17.6%
  2. Terrence

25.5%
  3. Harrell

45.1%
  4. Terry

2.0%
  5. McDaniels/Dekker

9.8%
  1. basketballholic

Making the assumption (and I'm sure some of you will disagree with this assumption) that the top 7 rotation players on this current active roster are

Harden
    Howard
    Ariza
    Lawson
    Thornton
    Capela
    Beverley

who should be the 8th man in the playing rotation?

This is assuming right now with DMo basically inactive and will be inactive for another month or so. Of course when he returns he should obviously in the top 8...which means this 8th man would fall to 9th in the rotation. So, moving forward...who should be the 8th man in the rotation now and the 9th man in the rotation after DMo returns?

Personally, I'm not really sure. But I'd have a tendacy to make it between Brewer and Terry. Brewer has been so bad that I'm tempted to see if Terry can give us more than he's giving us. But I'd definitely have Terry and Brewer ahead of Harrell who would be ahead of Terrence.

2. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Jones. If we don't get him going, we're ****ed until DMo gets back.

3. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Playoffs? Playoffs? We're just trying to beat lottery teams!

[​IMG]

4. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Voted Brewer...He's not what I think he's what the Rockets truly need as far as fit, but he's just better than the other guys even with his struggles. Don't need another PG so no to Terry. Rest of the guys aren't good shooters. Brewer probably is better than Jones and more needed with Ariza playing so much 4.

Rockets across the board except Thornton appear to be having down years in shooting open threes. The Nets it seemed played a lot of minutes with basically 4 guys surrounding the paint waiting to help with one on Harden. With Rockets struggling to get spacing, Brewer is making it worse.

I've seen a lot of complaints about McHale, but this is the team Morey assembled. Morey should be taking some of the heat for not giving McHale enough guys to spread the floor. I'm not saying Morey should be fired as he does a lot of great things and I think he'll fix things by deadline. DMo may fix things if he comes back 100% healthy.

I just don't see a good 8th man at moment considering the top 7 guys the Rockets have.

5. basketballholic

Me either. That's why I brought it up. Sure looks like Brewer is tanking after getting his money. I got a lot of questions about Morey doling out his and Bev's contracts.

6. roxallways

roxallways Member
    Supporting Member

People shouldn't lose sight of this. Morey is a big part of the problem right now as far as the assembly of the roster. The roster has yet to really match the type of play Morey prefers. Thornton has been a great addition and provides some shooting/floor spacing but signing guys like Brewer AND McDaniels, guys who can't shoot and are similar in style, was a head scratcher and redundant on top of drafting another similar guy like Dekker.

7. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Both contracts looked higher than I would have guessed even with salary cap about to increase. Beverley's for injury concerns only. Brewer's for fit. I did think that Brewer may have gotten that contract so that the Rockets would have a contract that size for trading purposes....then the Rockets hard capped themselves. Granted, Rockets were over the cap so it may have been a situation of them at that price was better than not signing them because those were the guys they had Bird Rights.

8. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I suspect McDaniels was signed as a gamble to be a potential Brewer upgrade if he takes to coaching. If McDaniels can pick up shooting and refine his man-to-man defense, he'll be a very good role player. Those are big ifs, but it isn't like he's on a big contract either. He's a high risk, high reward guy. I was disappointed he's shooting is still as far away as it needs to be...but then again he was a free agent and didn't get the summer league coaching time he needed.

Dekkar...I think Morey sees him as a gamble to become a stretch 4 with coaching. I think he's a lower risk than K.J., but might not have the upside.

9. roxallways

roxallways Member
    Supporting Member

I understand. Usually I'm thinking a GM wouldn't be taking too many gambles on a supposedly contending team and would be focusing on more immediate needs. Oh well.

10. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

On gambling, Morey's options were limited. None of the gambles involved the Rockets giving up a rotation player or the opportunity to get a rotation player with the possible exception of Josh Smith. Though Smith would seem to be redundant.

11. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

I voted Harrell but on situational basis, if you need some rebounds and D but if you need scoring you go with Brewer...

12. Dmo for 3mo

Dmo for 3mo Member

Whoever will play defense and not turn the ball over.

13. basketballholic

Personally, I thought it was too much money for both Brewer and Bev. (I was secretly hoping Morey would use them as sign-and-trade guys and then go get a youngster like Aaron Craft on a minimum salary deal that would likely significantly outperform his deal.) But I have to assume Morey knows more about the trade market for players than what I think the market is. So I always assume Morey signs guys to trade-able contracts because there is nothing that hinders the formation of a championship contender more than bad untrade-able contracts.

However, I am worried about both Brewer and Bev becoming un-moveable in trade (without costing us assets to send out with them) in light of both off their poor starts to this season and Bev's continuing subpar play from last season when he was allegedly dinged all year.

14. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Today, and last night? Chuck Hayes.

15. basketballholic

Smoove redundant?

If Smoove were on this current roster he'd probably be the 6th to 7th man in the rotation, pushing Bev down to 8th.

16. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I mean...

Brewer? Atrocious.
    Jones? Atrocious.
    Terry? Lawson and Bev should be more than enough
    KJ? Can't possibly be worse than Brewer, but the Rockets clearly don't think much since he can't even stay out of the D-League

Montrezl is the only one of that group who has given even passable minutes this season. Why is he not playing? He played well. Extremely well! He's obviously not the best fit, but shoot...when the team's getting murdered on the boards and can't finish inside, why not go for the guy who can get boards and finish inside?

I'm just confused why McHale is so intent on sticking with things that aren't working, whether it be lineups, lack of adjustments, or sticking with guys who aren't getting it done.

17. BAHAMIANFAN

BAHAMIANFAN Contributing Member

Jones by Default.

How can you not have a PF in your rotation?

I swear though. If he gets another shot blocked while in the post, I'm going to break my TV. That guy is the smallest 6'9 player I have ever seen.

18. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Smoove is better than Jones and Harrell, but he has the same problems on offense (I should have said redundant on offense). He isn't efficient away from the basket. Rockets have Howard, Capela, Jones, Harrell, Brewer, and KJ as players that don't have to be guarded closely away from the basket. Lawson and Ariza haven't been too good on open catch and shoot threes as in the past.

Personally, I think Rockets need to have three guys that can hit open threes on court at all times, but preferably 4 when Howard and Capela are playing.

Here's to DMo coming back healthy. Rockets look to be built for him as a key cog of the lineup.

19. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

Terrence sucks - this is hard to deny. But he hasn't always sucked, and there may still be something to recover. You can abandon him when D-Mo is back, but we really are hosed if we get complete zero out of him when we're (obviously) getting zero out of D-Mo.

20. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

You have Lawson, Harden, Thornton and Beverley to cover the guard positions, so Terry isn't needed. You have Howard and Capela to cover center. SF can be covered by Ariza and Harden or Thornton to go small. PF though, all you have is an undersized Ariza or a center playing out of position. So, it has to be a power forward, so Harrell or T Jones (or Brewer if you really like small-ball). Small-ball is situational at best, and I don't really want to see rookies in the rotation at all, unless they're just astounding. So, Jones it is.