1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

Who should be in our playoff rotation?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ashleyem, Mar 22, 2019.

?

Which 4 guys should be in our playoff rotation?

1. Green

71 vote(s)
    74.0%
  2. House

86 vote(s)
    89.6%
  3. Shumpert

15 vote(s)
    15.6%
  4. Nene

24 vote(s)
    25.0%
  5. Faried

89 vote(s)
    92.7%
  6. Rivers

83 vote(s)
    86.5%
  7. Clark

1 vote(s)
    1.0%
  8. Others

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

MDA insists on playing his 9-man rotation and it looks like Rivers and Faried have both fallen out of the rotation in favor of Shumpert and Nene.

Which 4 guys do you think should be in our playoff rotation?

I actually like the idea of replacing Rivers with Shumpert because Shumpert is bigger and gives us more length on defense. But I think Faried can be really effective in some matchups, especially against teams that don't have a traditional post-up big man.

2. Juxtaposed Jolt

Harden and 12 scrubs off the street. He's that good.

tmoney1101, chadyang and clos4life like this.
  3. thekad

thekad Member

Shumpert is awful and shouldn’t sniff the court especially since he doesn’t even defend guards any better than Rivers. Can’t shoot, can’t dribble, doesn’t have size.

Faried can be the backup 5/4 when Nene doesn’t have it, which is often these days.

CP3/Harden/House/Tucker/Capela are the starters and Rivers/Gordon/Nene are the rotation players. Green and Faried fill in as necessary.

4. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Paul/Rivers
    Harden/Green
    Gordon/House
    Tucker/Faried
    Capela/Nene

Play either Faried or Nene depending on matchups/in game performance. 9 man rotation.

5. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Who is Others?

Luxury Tax Savings?

tmoney1101 and chadyang like this.
  6. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

I say start house though. I like Gordon at the 6th man role like last year. Rivers will also be a big part of the bench guard position.

vlaurelio likes this.
  7. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

Rivers over Shumpert and Faried over Nene.

Tonight's rotation was strange af. MDA is known for rewarding guys who plays well. I don't know it seems weird that Rivers and Faried are not getting playing time, maybe saving them for the playoffs? I don't know it just weird.

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  8. HROZ

HROZ Member

Capela
    Tucker Faried
    Gordon House
    Harden
    Paul Rivers

Green Shumpert Nene depending on matchups could get minutes.

9. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I would add House to Nene, Rivers, Green and Faried. Shumpert has got a chance if he plays better in the remaining nine games.

10. Loneyroy7

Loneyroy7 Member

Rivers NEEDS to be back in the rotation. I don't know what Mike's doing, but i'm hoping its just short term. Austin is one of our best defenders and has actually been pretty clutch on late-game shots this year. He needs to be out there.

Denovo, chadyang, anchel and 5 others like this.
  11. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Is MDA just resting Rivers and Faried because he knows what he has in them, or are they in the dog house?

I mean, it's time to settle in your playoff rotation and get the first team (starters) and second team (bench mixed with some starters) playing as one. In other words, need to gel for the upcoming playoffs.

12. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

Rockets gave up a 1st in the Shumpert deal. He’s supposed to healthy now, so they have to give him a real look. I think Rivers has been better too, but D’Antoni has to see enough of Shumpert to be certain on whether he is playoff rotation worthy or not.

Nene may be needed more than expected vs bigger 5’s. You have to let him play so he can get into rhythm.

I don’t think Rivers and Faried are in the dog house. The coaching staff has a short time to make some tough decisions. We haven’t been healthy until now, Shump came in a trade, and House just recently returned.

I’d say give MDA another week or so to figure it out. The final rotation should be fine.

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  13. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

Honestly just depends on matchup's. If we get Utah or SA, we'll probably see some of Nene and Faried, but no Rivers. If we get Portland, OKC, or GS, I think Rivers and Shump both play a big role defensively, especially Rivers on Curry. If we get LAC, Faried is a guy that could match Harrell's energy. I think Faried and Capela both can wear out Denver's bigs.

I think House is a lock, and as long as Green is hitting 3's, he's a lock also. Faried or Nene is a lock against everyone but GS. I'm not sure if Faried is playable against them, and we know Nene isn't. So we probably see a lot of PJ at the 5 against them, might even see Clark get some run.

Man, it's good to have options!

chadyang likes this.
  14. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

But GS now has added Cousins and Nene may be useful against him. I thought Nene played really well last time against Cousins.

JMAD21 likes this.
  15. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Fixed

16. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

I really thinks he wants to get shumpert to sharpen up for the playoffs and see how he progresses but shumpert May be on a short leash and only play situationally. Rivers has struggled with his shot as of late but I like his aggressive driving tonthd basket. Same reason I like Danuel house. Driving to the basket creates openings for others or put back opportunities. I don’t get why Gordon starts though I really don’t like that. Gordon is a volume shooter and is best suited on that second team with CP3.

Relativist and Hakeemtheking like this.
  17. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

IMHO, this is pretty accurate! I think DanTony is trying to give everyone a chance to play right now,(Rivers/Faried resting) in hopes of having everyone in sync as the playoffs approaches. If our core rotation stays healthy, we truly have the best chance at dethroning the WarLadys!!!

Go Rockets!!!

18. bj3175

bj3175 Member

What do yall think about this
    Starting Lineup Minutes by Quarter and Position

Nene and Shump play in certain situations Their is 6 minutes left for them to split. Obviously

Position Break Down

1st 2nd 3rd 4th Total Minutes Available

(2)Harden 9 8 8 7 32 16
    Green 3 5 3 5 16

(1)cp3 4 8 6 9 27 21
    Rivers 5 5 6 5 21

(5)Capela 7 7 7 8 29 19
    Faried 5 7 6 7 25 Faried Would take 19 Playing (5)

(4)Tucker 8 6 8 8 30 18
    Faried Would take 6 Minutes playing (4)

House would take 6 minutes playing (4)

(3)Gordon 6 8 7 7 28 20
    House 6 7 5 7 26 House would take 20 playing (3)

19. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

All of the above...
    jockey em all based on matchup, who's got the hot hand, defensive effort, hustle and boxing out... We got a stacked roster - utilize it!

I know, I know... its MDA...so it'll be a short rotation that he will stubbornly stick with regardless of results or guys runnin outta juice... but a guy can dream right? ;)

fattz likes this.
  20. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Shumpert is MCW/Knight tier of uselessness