1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who should be called up to take Weiland's spot in the rotation?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by juicystream, Apr 27, 2012.

?

Who should start?

1. Dallas Keuchel

27.6%
  2. Paul Clemens

3.4%
  3. Jordan Lyles

62.1%
  4. Jarred Cosart

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Henry Sosa

3.4%
  6. 4-Man rotation

3.4%
  1. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

With Weiland going on the DL, the Astros will probably call somebody up. Who do you want to see?

Keuchel - Best statistically
    Clemens - Currently on DL with spasms, but eligible to come off and start if healthy
    Lyles - Last man out in ST competition, and has big league experience
    Cosart - Top pitching prospect, off to a great start, but has been hampered by blisters this season.
    Sosa - Big league experience, also pitching well, but not as good as some of the others.
    4 man rotation - With off days the way they are, it would be possible, though unlikely (would require a couple of games pitched on short rest).

#1 juicystream, Apr 27, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2012
  2. moonsh0t

moonsh0t Member

I voted Keuchel. I don't see him as a big part of the Astros future, so I don't want to put any of the other guys up in the majors to get a complex from all the losing.

3. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Weiland's first time while on DL will be a skip. Might skip the second time as well, but Wandy would then have to pitch a day earlier that what he is used to.

4. jdh008

jdh008 Member

I'd go with Sosa. He has big league experience and he is more of a known commodity than the others at this point. Considering it's just going to be temporary, I think safe and solid is the way to go.

5. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Lyles is being called up.

Zachary Levine has tweeted that Jordan Lyles has been called up, and will pitch on Sunday with Norris, Happ, and Wandy going against the Mets next week.

6. jdh008

jdh008 Member

That move should put the other starters in the rotation on notice. If Lyles pitches really well in Weiland's stead, they aren't going to send him back down.

7. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Both our AAA (Express and then the Redhawks) and AA affiliates have finished dead last in their division for 5 straight years. Our minor leaguers are already used to losing.

8. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Weiland has shoulder surgery, out indefinitely

http://houston.astros.mlb.com/news/...01&content_id=30138026&vkey=news_hou&c_id=hou

Astros will need to call somebody else up, since Lyles must wait 10 days before he can be called back up. Sosa, Clemens, or ARod are most likely since they are already on the 40 man. The team does have room for another player on the 40 man if they wanted to purchase the contract of Keuchel or Cosart, but I would doubt they go that route for a spot start.

9. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

They could "injure" Abad and then Lyles could come back up. :)

EDIT:

They DL'd Cruz and brought up De Resario. I wonder if Lyles can thene brought up for De Resario since he was brought up for an injured player.

#9 bobrek, May 1, 2012
    Last edited: May 1, 2012