1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Who Out There Can Hit A Jumpshot

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by BobFinn*, Sep 15, 2000.

1. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

Taking a page from the dunking thread, who in here can hit the J consistently? I haven't played in years but I do remember opponents yelling "Get on that guy"

I struggled with jumpers in the lane (stop and pops being my weakness) but put me 18 feet and out, deadly. They call me "The Assassin"

------------------
    In order to be a success in life, you need 2 things:
    1. Don't tell everything you know.

2. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

My nickname in high school (at least the one I can share here) was Mullin.

Now granted in recent years, not playing much, I cannot hit it with the frequency as I did in high school and junior college. But I still command some respect.

I will always play competitively as long as I can. I choose to try to relive the glory days any way possible. Now it is a corporate league on Mondays. How sad!!

[​IMG]

------------------
    There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

3. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

I'm much better in the flow, shaking out on the wing and driving than I am w/ stationary long balls (though I'm improving in that area). I think part of it is just having my hands on the ball for a while, to get used to it. Also when you're running around, your body just gets looser.

------------------
    Why don't you guys go down to the gym and pump each other

4. BobFinn*

I feel your pain Hoop [​IMG]

------------------
    In order to be a success in life, you need 2 things:
    1. Don't tell everything you know.

5. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

I was always the guy that took the shot to see who took it out first because they knew I'd hit it. I'm a tad out of practice, but the guy they used to yell "get on that guy" about was me! I was slow, not tall (6 feet) and not a terrific ball handler.

What I could do was shoot and dish the ball.

------------------
    Save Our Rockets and Comets
    SaveOurRockets.com

6. Bballplayinplaya

i just spot up 15 footer. 9/10 its going in the hole.

------------------
    Bow down to GOD FRANCIS!

"If they offered me (a lifetime contract) tomorrow, I'd take it."

-- Steve Francis on if the Rockets offered him a lifetime deal. He has now been elevated to "God" status.

7. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

8. Cold Hard

Cold Hard Member

Give me the ball behind the 3-point line, and I can usually make 'em on a fairly consistent basis. And when I'm in a good rhythm, my release is almost as quick as Eddie Johnson's.

My ability to drive to the hoop could use a LOT of fine-tuning though. I lost count of the number of times during my years in high school my friends nearly had heart attacks from laughing so hard when I looked pathetic with my penetrations.

------------------

9. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

For a short guy with no vertical leap, it's all about the J. I can drive it to the hoop pretty well, but have trouble finishing "among the trees." Give me the 15 footer on the wings, though, and I'm money.

------------------

10. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

You're looking at one of the masters right here. I'm not a great athlete. I'm not a great defender. But there is one thing I do unbelievably well- shoot the ball. I can hit with great accuracy all the way out to 23-25 feet- seriously. I am also a good post up player, but people note me for my shooting. Like Bob, I'm actually more comfortable from the outside. If I couldn't shoot, I would never have done anything in basketball. I'm not a great defender, just 5'10, and not a great athlete. I have a bit of that Cuttino Mobley mentality too in that when I get the ball, I will shoot it a lot. I am a shooter/scorer almost solely, but I played all the way through high school because of my jumper. The player I play like is Glen Rice. I used to pattern my game after his when I played, as his strengths are my strengths and his weaknesses are also my weaknesses.

------------------
    Looking for next year's Dan Langhi? Draftsource.net
    ClutchTown.com

4th Friday of August= Rocket Day
    1999-Steve Francis
    2000-Maurice Taylor

[This message has been edited by The Cat (edited September 15, 2000).]

11. BobFinn*

12. Steve

Steve Member

I am a all around baller i cant shoot but i drive and use the back board all day! and i dont give a Shi% what peeps say bout that

------------------
    "It wasn't a fight. He punched me one time, that's all. That's not a fight. I don't fight at 30,000 feet. I had an education." L8 vs Stack

13. PhiSlammaJamma

I'm a pure shooter. For real. Anyone wants to see just come vist me at AU in DC. I would be willing to bet any amount of money that I could hit 50% from 35-40 Feet. In college I hit 90% plus at the line. Too bad I didn't get there very much. At 6'4 I was the smallest guy on the team, but they would never let me play point. good thing too. Still, I can't dunk. RIT was my school for the curious.

------------------
    humble, but hungry.

14. Lord Tree

Lord Tree Member

I can't shoot worth crap, although I've been going to the court on sundays to practice. (if anyone has shooting tips, PLEASE give them to me, or ball handling tips, too. [​IMG]) But I am a fairly good post player. I rebound, block shots, and have a good hook shot. I still wish I could shoot worth a damn, though! [​IMG]

Lord Tree

------------------
    I am Jack's raging message.

15. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

My basketball and football playing days are over due to several sprained ankles and sprained backs. I'm a contractor, so I can't afford to lose money due to back ailments!

I used to play in the UH gym and on playgrounds in Mo City. I had about a 16 foot jump shot; it was a crapshoot any further than that although I could nail 3 ptrs every-now-and-then. My favorite move was a drive from the lane towards the baseline ending in a fadeaway bankshot or nothing but net. I also had a freaky one-handed drive where I double-pumped in mid-air and shot it on the way down. But drives, like I said were most of my game.

Football was and probably always will be my favorite sport to play, however.

------------------
    Falk that Mo Fo!!!

16. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I once hit 17 out of 20 3 pointers at the NASA workout facility/gym on a regulation goal from the center and arch. And, get this...I was shooting my shots like World B Free. Yep...bringing the ball back over your head and shooting those arching rainbow shots. My friend was under the basket standing there feeding me the ball. I felt like a basketball god. These weren't clankers, either...they were swishers. I've been known to take over a few pick-up games with my 3 pointer [​IMG].

Oh...forgot to mention...made the first 15, too.

Surf

------------------

[This message has been edited by Surfguy (edited September 15, 2000).]

17. Francis3

Francis3 Member

GO SURF GO! ROcket should sign you. [​IMG]

Well actually when I was in high school, I always was known for my shot but that was when I was small. I grew one summer and after that all I did was play inside game which is not my style. I played varsity for the school, but it wasnt that good for me. I was pretty weak kid, and inside I would get banged up. But now if I go back against the high school players in my time, I will crush some bones. [​IMG]

For any of you guys who wants to workout, go for it and never give up because I know its freaking hard at first but once you keep doing it , you will love it.

------------------
    "You look a team that's been to the mountaintop like the Houston Rockets, I'm going to put pressure on myself to be the best possible player that I can be. With the pieces they already have in place and myself, we can do some amazing things next season."

Maurice Taylor

18. Azim da Dream

Azim da Dream Member

Damn, in a thread full of pure shooters and lethal outside threats, it looks like I'm a loner. [​IMG] Though I wouldn't go as far as a Rodrick Rhodes, my jump shooting is probably my biggest weakness. I like using my quickness and cross-over to enable me to penetrate, either finishing it off myself or drawing attention and finding the open man. Being a pure point guard, I look for the pass first and my ability to dish the rock is more to write home about than my 3-point ability (or lack thereof). Though I have improved and have a decent pop-stop-and-drop shot, I don't think I was destined to be a shooter. [​IMG] Weird thing is, I'm only 5"9", yet I like posting much bigger players up and out-maneuvreing, out-faking and just to make like a Dream and school them. [​IMG]

Azim da dream

------------------
    We don't live for the destination. We live for the journey.
    http://www.clutchtown.com

19. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Hey Azim, I feel your pain!

I've got a John Starks jumper... some nights I just can't miss - and that extends to wild runners and all. But then I get the 4-20 nights where my team-mates are like "ahem"... very disappointing!

I normally like to drive and I've almost mastered the art of the scoop shot [​IMG]

------------------

20. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

im a driver, but i actually have a really good jump shot, i just do what feels right at the time, im only 5'5 in 8th grade, but i post up alot. i like to call myself a poor poor poor poor poor mans gary payton, just do what it takes to get the win. has anyone seen gp's mini fro?