1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Game 3 between the Knicks and Pacers in Indiana. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Who out there can dunk?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by FrancisFan, Sep 14, 2000.

1. Rockets R' Us

Rockets R' Us Contributing Member

I have some LONG arms. Sometimes I surprise myself [​IMG] I have longer arms than some taller guys on my Highschool's basketball team. And I can palm the ball. So that should help. I can dunk on a 9ft. goal pretty easily. Go to www.stl-basketball.com It's a pretty good site with exercises and other stuff that'll help improve your hops and increase your basketball skills.

------------------
    Francis out top, 9 seconds on the clock, he gives a no look pass to Cuttino Mobley, 4 seconds left, Mobley passes to an open Langhi in the corner with 1 second left! Langhi at the buzzer.......YES!!! How Sweet It Is!!

2. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

Oooooh.. I've come soooo close, but I always seem to need another inch or so.

------------------
    My dream job is to be a Houston Rockets towel-boy.

3. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

Try loose fitting genes. Tight ones restrict your ability to move [​IMG]

------------------
    In order to be a success in life, you need 2 things:
    1. Don't tell everything you know.

4. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

I first dunked my sophomore year in high school...I was 17. Yes, at 28 I can still dunk. I am not able to do it in a game situation any longer, unless I am all alone on a breakaway. I am 6'2".

A coach once told me when dunking, watch the rim. As you explode upward, make it your goal to get your elbow (stay with me here) above the rim. Certainly I could not get my elbow above the rim, but the extra effort I put in to try seemed to help. In doing this, I was always able to throw it through.

I was never blessed with extreme hops, but with some technique and timing, you can make up a little for the lack of vert.

------------------
    There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

[This message has been edited by HOOP-T (edited September 15, 2000).]

5. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

HOW THE HECK DID I END UP AT 5'9"?

You don't bear an uncanny resemblance to the family milkman by any chance, do you? [​IMG]

------------------
    My dream job is to be a Houston Rockets towel-boy.

6. Cold Hard

Cold Hard Member

I'm 6'4", 145 lbs and 21 years old & I can't dunk. Poor me [​IMG] At least I can grab the rim with both hands; maybe my time will come with more practice and exercise.

------------------

7. The Voice of Reason

yup i can dunk

i was 17 when i first sucseded, adnwas and still am 6 feet tall. the thing is that i never really tried before, because where i grew up hocky was the only winter sport, and summers were for soccer only. i have small hands so it has always been hard for me to palm the ball(read:IMPOSSIBLE)so inorder to dunk i have to get WAY up there. if you want a killer verticle leap i will tell you how.
    1 genetics helps
    2 i used to run track cross country, played hockey, and soccer all my life. so at the verry least just run alot.
    3 i used to run around the Gym(which had 6 rims around the perimiter) and jump and grab rim at each basket. do it in the flow of your run. try and do 15-20 laps thats 120 jumps.
    4 another program i made up included the stairs in my school. we had 4 flights up, a 30 yard run, than 4 flights down. go 2 steps at a time on the way up, and hit everyone on the way down. i did this i did this 25 times a day and carried two 20lb weights in each hand. cary 15 if you feel like slacking.

the results: well at 6 feet tall i could grab rim from the foul line, i could do any kind of ally oop you could throw me, and plenty of 2 hand reverse Lovin(my favorite).
    also i was always walking around with bruizes on my bicep from the rim, so dont ever say white men cant jump. but you have to use your legs if you ever want to do it in a game!!
    *peace

------------------

8. DREAMer

DREAMer Member

fadeaway,

DOH!, son of a.....

-----------------

Me and a friend of mine who is 6'6" used to play one-on-one up to a hundred on a 9'6" goal (yeah I measured it). Now that was a workout!

I would have to not dunk on him to make the games competitive (if I chose not to then I still won half of the time). I thought I was gonna break his arms on several occasions where I was going up strong with two hands.

------------------
    I have a dream.........his name's Hakeem.
    DREAMer's Rocket Page

9. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

5'8" and I can not dunk, but I can rebound like a mutha and school Sirhangover's A$$ on the court any day of the week!!

[​IMG]

------------------
    I am the founding member of the Butt-Nekkid Party! White House here we come!

10. Ace

Ace Contributing Member

Thanks, DREAMer.

I was wondering whether you could take a running start or not. I suspected that you couldn't, but there's no harm in confirming.

I actually know a person that jumps less when taking a running start. It's weird. He barely gets off the ground. The other day, I asked him to touch the rim of a basketball goal at a friend's house and he crashed into the plants that were found behind the structure. It was hillarious.

------------------
    Nederland 2002 Qualifying Campaign (Damn those penalties!!!)

Houston Rockets Space Center- Not just another ClutchCity.NET clone. We're that and more! :)