1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who out there can dunk?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by FrancisFan, Sep 14, 2000.

1. FrancisFan

FrancisFan Contributing Member

Today for the first time I was able to dunk on 10 feet! I'm 15 years old and about 5 foot 10, is that good? Who else out there can dunk and how old where you since you've been able to?

------------------
    Cuttino Mobley Online

www.Rockets2000.net

2. RENDIGGLER3:20

I have to say the highest I have ever got was mid-net(if that) at best!Dunking at 15 is good no matter how tall you are but at 5'10" thats impressive.Im sure you will grow at least another 2in. ,so stick with it before long you will be dunking on people.Can you play?If you can I would never get off the court and try to get into a college or even Jr.College program.

By the way I hate you and all who can dunk! [​IMG]

------------------

3. dc sports

dc sports Member

Do the playschool basketball goals count?

------------------
    Stay Cool...

4. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

Whatever dude.

I been dunking since I was like 5. I've dunked everything.

My favorite dunk?

I'd have to say chocolate chip oatmeal in chocolate milk. Those cookies taste damn good after getting them a little soggy.

YUM!!!

------------------
    I am so exasperated that I could expectorate.

5. Francis3

Francis3 Member

haha .

I can dunk but nothing spectacular like windmills and stuff. Im 6'4 , so I should be able to dunk. [​IMG]

------------------
    "I talked about what degenerates they [Mets fans] were, and they proved me right. Just by saying something, I could make them mad enough to go home and slap their moms."

John Rocker

6. DREAMer

DREAMer Member

FrancisFan,

Heck yeah dunking at 15 is good, and at 5'10" makes it even more impressive.

Like I've said before.. I'm 5'9" and used to be able to dunk volleyballs with regularity (and put a little mustard on it). But, I couldn't ever get the handle on a basketball to get it in. I could grab a regulation rim with both hands, and the highest I ever jumped on a court was when I hit the rim about 3 to 3.5 inches below my wrist.

------------------
    I have a dream.........his name's Hakeem.
    DREAMer's Rocket Page

7. Rockets R' Us

Rockets R' Us Contributing Member

5'5" 14 yrs. Old. Should be able to dunk bout Middle of next year. I have a 24 in. vertical right now (can touch the backboard on HighSchool Basketball Goals)I'm doing a program next summer or starting October that should get me 10-13 inches. Called Air Alert 2. Anyone ever done it??

------------------
    Francis out top, 9 seconds on the clock, he gives a no look pass to Cuttino Mobley, 4 seconds left, Mobley passes to an open Langhi in the corner with 1 second left! Langhi at the buzzer.......YES!!! How Sweet It Is!!

8. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I'm 6'6 and I can dunk, but it's difficult for me to palm the ball (my hands are not small, but they are not so huge that I could really palm the ball well), so it's not easy for me. Any tips on how to practice dunking? I guess a lot depends on the timing? I have to say that I have not played much basketball in my life.

[This message has been edited by Det The Threat (edited September 14, 2000).]

9. Ace

Ace Contributing Member

I can't jump at all. It's pretty pathetic. I'm six feet tall and I can touch the rim, but that's pretty much it. I think I might be able to dunk a tennis ball. [​IMG]

How is the vertical measured?

One more thing...no one in my school can dunk a basketball or even a volleyball.

------------------
    Nederland 2002 Qualifying Campaign (Damn those penalties!!!)

<A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/Pressbox/6544" TARGET=_blank>Houston Rockets Space Center- Not just another ClutchCity.NET clone. We're that and more! [​IMG]</A>

[This message has been edited by Ace (edited September 14, 2000).]

10. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Ace, by the way, Germany will meet the Netherlands in the 2002 World Cup Final and there will be a penalty shoot-out.

You know the result already [​IMG].

Edwin van der Sar will get his ยง%T"&%" kicked.

11. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

And one more thing to all Americans here: Soccer is NOT a women's sport. Maybe I should open a separate thread for this. I don't understand how Americans can choose baseball over soccer. [​IMG]

12. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I can't choose either... they both bore me to sleep. And yes, you should start another thread so I can repost this same opinion and inflate my post count. [​IMG]

------------------
    Falk that Mo Fo!!!

13. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

Those air alert programs have been around for awhile. They may work, but heck, if you just work your legs out, the results may be the same.

So you are 5'5" ? Let's say you are 5'7" next year with a 33 inch vert. I still think you will have a hard time dunking, unless your arms are as long as KG's.

------------------
    "The road to hell is paved with Republicans." :)

14. DREAMer

DREAMer Member

Ace,

To measure your "vertical leap", you must keep one foot planted (like a pivot foot).

Your other foot can move as you ready yourself to jump, but you must keep the other foot in one place.

To know where to measure from you stand next to a wall or wherever you plan to measure and reach up as high as you can with the hand you plan on reaching with when you jump. Then if you're next to a wall you can put some chalk or powder on your finger-tips and when you jump you touch the wall and leave a mark. Then you measure the distance between your original mark and the one you left after jumping.

------------------
    DREAMer's Rocket Page

15. Lord Tree

Lord Tree Member

Yes, but I have this horrible tendency to bounce the ball of the back of the Rim. [​IMG] Of course, being 6'4" and having very strong calves helps, too.

Lord Tree

------------------
    I am Jack's raging message.

16. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

Dreamer, so I couldn't take like a running start and then jump ?

------------------
    "The road to hell is paved with Republicans." :)

17. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

I'm with Ace I'm completely Vertical Leap Challenged, and as far as I see it 3 pters count for more than dunks

------------------
    Discombobulation Imminent

18. DREAMer

DREAMer Member

gr8-1,

Sure you can... but then you won't be measuring your "vertical leap".

Most people can jump higher with a running start. I've actually known people who go totally against physics and jump lower when they run, but they are freaks, so who cares?

----------------------

I tell you what sucks. My Dad is 6'0", my younger brother is 6'3 1/2", my youngest brother is 6'3", my sister is 5'9", my grandmother was 5'10", my grandfather was 5'10", I have an uncle who's 6'6", one who's 6'1", and all my aunts are tall except one who's average height. HOW THE HECK DID I END UP AT 5'9"?

Too much smoking? No
    Too many drugs? No, never took any
    Too much drinking? No, didn't take my first drink til 17, and never really been "a drinker".
    Did I do some super-heavy-power-lifting while too young? No, I didn't start putting on mass until I was out of highschool.

So, what gives?

Damn genes....

------------------
    DREAMer's Rocket Page

19. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Im 5'9" and I can barely dunk on a 8 foot goal [​IMG]. Thats why Im into tennis and baseball now.

------------------
    Fun Police Says:

1. Stupid threads are not FUN!
    2. Spelling, grammar, punctuation and sentence structure are not FUN!
    3. Stupid BBS names are not FUN!
    4. Conduct yourself in a FUN way!

The Fun Police are Watching.
    Vote for the Rockets & Have FUN or be Assimilated.

20. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

I used to be a great dunker. Two hands, reversals, you name it. I'm 6' 3" and was a high jumper and a hurdler in high school, and once clear 6"10" at a track meet.

However, that was 20 years, 40 pounds, and one knee surgery ago. My last dunk was maybe ten years past. With some working out, I probably could get back up there, but I'm too lazy to push myself just for a dunk. On the plus side, my outside shot as gotten much better! [​IMG]

Just wait about 7 to 10 years. My 8 yr old is already over 4 feet tall and plays ball every day. He's gonna be better than I ever dreamed of being.

------------------
    Save our children from the TAAS test:
    TAAS test report card
    TAAS test fact sheet

Dog lover here....cats beware.