1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who made the best trade deadline deal?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Carl Herrera, Mar 8, 2014.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

It's still early, but at least we've seen the traded players for a handful of games with their new teams.

JVG said that Jordan Hamilton was the steal of the trade deadline during the HOU-IND game. Do you agree? If not, who has been better?

2. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

well hawes hasn't helped the cavs much but he could be a bigger piece of their puzzle going forward than hamilton will be for the rockets.

everyone made a big thing over indy getting turner but they wont ask him to produce more than hamilton does, and both teams gave up next to nothing.

the sixers did well acquiring picks, too early to tell what this deadline brought them until we see how those picks turn out.

honestly, there really isn't a contending team that added a player at the deadline who will play as big a role as hamilton and evans. those were the best two deals, but hamilton was cheaper to acquire and probably will play a bigger role so maybe he was the best deal of the deadline.

3. Juxtaposed Jolt

Bazemore has been really good for the Lakers, even though they're not anywhere near contending. Turner has been solid for Indy.

1 person likes this.
  4. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

very small sample size but no one has contributed more than Hamilton thus far. I dont think I'm being a homer when I say that. Granger, Turner, Butler haven't contributed much to their teams (yet).

5. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

A perfect example of how Daryl Morey was looking for value and not just a name. Hamilton doesn't look like he will ever be anything more than a very solid back up. But a solid back up that can play defense, move the ball and actually score a little is exactly what Houston was looking for IMO. I'm having a hard time imagining a better back up for Chandler.

6. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

Glen Davis is playing well

7. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I think the Rockets best move this year was keeping Omer Asik (technically a non-move, I guess) instead of tracking him for the kind of crap that people clamored for (Hawes, Bass, etc.). The Rockets defense has looked better of late, and having Omer on the floor whenever Dwight sits is an important factor.

Hamilton has been a good fit on the team and a cost-efficient acquisition. The team didn't spend a significant asset on him, which is good since it keeps the assets available to be used in the summer.

8. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

Hinkle killed the deadline

9. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

So i guess we are including waiver wire pickups even though they occurred well after the deadline?

10. thething

thething Contributing Member

Obviously no home runs in this deadline--Hamilton may have been the best move.

Nobody has mentioned Marcus Thornton for the Nets or Steve Blake for the Warriors.

Thornton has had a few good games and is an obvious talent upgrade over Terry. Blake is a solid backup PG.

1 person likes this.
  11. alethios

alethios Member

I underwhelmed by the trades made at or near the deadline. Pretty much everyone standing pat for free agency or bolstering their current roster for a playoff run. Hamilton is turning out to be the missing piece for us to fill the backup SF position. His energy, hustle and defense are welcome addition and just what we needed.

12. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Actually this is true. Blake fills a massive need for the Warriors and has been getting nearly 20min/g.

Out of him, Hamilton and Thornton, I'd imagine Blake having the greatest impact come playoff time.

13. Chamillionaire

Clearly (Steven A. Smith voice) it's Morey.

14. EightDoobies

EightDoobies Member

Well, Danny Granger is doing great in LA!

Not really, should of came to Houston.

15. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

Wasn't really a trade deadline deal, but "BeWell" has made the Warriors the favorites to win the NBA title this year...:eek:

16. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

This is like a 1 dollar store, none of them are too impressive.

Maybe the Cavs. Hawes is the best player traded, and he's played well. Even if they miss the playoffs, Hawes' Bird rights could still be useful in re-signing him. And if they re-sign him, then 2 middling 2nd round picks wasn't a lot to pay.

17. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

Marcus Thornton is a baller. When he finally finds the right place to showcase his talents, people will take note of how underrated he is. He reminds me of a more talented version of Courtney Lee.

20 points a night is nothing for him given the right team and minutes...

The "Golden Penny" I knew we were getting before trading AB for JHam has been positive as well. Once he settles in and doesn't try to do too much (please stop dribbling the ball all over the court), I think he will pay dividends come playoff time.

AND, for my BIASED pick, because I love his game: Drew Gooden will be huge for the Wizards if they make the playoffs. With NeNe's injury :( ,Drew will be a legit vet that can put the ball in the basket and be a decent rebounder. The PFs that can catch and shoot, like our Luis Scola, are the last of a dying breed. The best out at it right now is David West, LaMarcus and KLove. The new type of PF can't make the easy jumper....

18. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

we clearly made the best trade deadline deal. jordan hamilton is the sharpshooter we needed to make an nba finals push.

19. vator

vator Contributing Member

The most interesting thing that I took away from this deadline is to trust Daryl Morey. There were big name guys traded this year and almost none of them have made a positive impact on the teams they went to. Rudy Gay, Luol Deng, Spencer Hawes, and Evan Turner just to name a few. Teams got better with under the radar and sometimes relatively cheap acquisitions that fit their style of play like Toronto with 2Pat, Hayes, Vasquez, and Salmons, Chicago picking up DJ Augustine, Memphis with James Johnson and Courtney Lee, etc.

Philly had Turner, Thad Young, MCW, and Hawes all putting up numbers and they were terrible. Sac with Rudy Gay, Cousins, and Isaiah Thomas. Two of several case studies you can point to around the league that shows why you shouldn't only look at a guy's boxscore to determine his worth. So many teams passed on Asik, but he has proven to be a real difference maker on the court, but he isn't a sexy acquisition. A guy like Spencer Hawes may look better on paper, he has a negative impact on the floor defensively and plays like a small forward offensively. Asik would have made Cleveland better.

Morey said all along that he wouldn't trade Asik for a marginal upgrade at PF because it wasn't worth it. I think I see even more clearly what he meant by that when I watch a name guy like Luol Deng go to Cleveland and they don't really improve.

20. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

I guess he did, since he improved the tank and now they are on a 16 loss streak. Which was always the main goal. That could be the difference between drafting no.5 and drafting no.1.

I don't think he got much directly from those trades, though. The Spencer Hawes trade was ok, if they didn't want to re-sign him. Two mid 2nds for a starting caliber center, nothing special but better than letting him walk. The Turner trade, it's basically Turner + around $4 mil for a late 2nd. Considering how some teams in the past managed to get 1st round picks just for saving the other team 4 mil, this is pretty low return.

But in the end, the main goal was to get worse. Any assets were a bonus. So in that sense, Hinkie did very well.