1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who is Sick of the "I Want to Play in NY or LA" Trade Demand

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Jeff, Jul 2, 2002.

1. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

C'mon, raise your hands!

Saw in ESPN Insider that Baron Davis wants to be traded to LA or NY rather than stay in New Orleans. I guess I get LA given that he is from that area, but this is getting to be a broken record.

It isn't the ability to win a ring either or they wouldn't mention NY. It is the spotlight. But, let's be honest, how many guys from the Lakers have actually used the "spotlight" to propel themselves to stardom? Shaq? Sure, but he could have done that from anywhere. Kobe? Only if you count Sprite commercials. Robert Horry? His claim to fame is looking like Will Smith. Rick Fox? Ok, he married Vanessa L, but stardom? Puh-leez.

Now, for NYC. Frankly, the most famous Knick is Spike Lee and he is only a front-row fan. Oh, yeah, Sprewell, Ewing, Houston, Camby...man, they were all over HBO last season.

I do understand wanting to live in a certain place for yourself or your family. I get guys wanting a warm-weather climate. If I'm from the Bahamas like Tim Duncan, I want to live in Miami also. I also understand wanting to be close to home.

But, this obsession with NYC or LA is just stupid.

2. Swopa

Swopa Contributing Member

I wonder how much of that is driven by agents probably getting a much higher commission on endorsements than a player's contract (where I think they're limited to 4%).

3. mfclark

mfclark Member

As an Orlando Magic fan, I must say that I'm all for players wanting to live in a warm-climate close to home with no sales tax! :)

But these NY and LA demands are stupid. Shaq left to go to LA to help his acting/music career, and look where that's gone. New York has been mismanaged for about 5-7 years now, and LA is over the luxury tax.

These demands are annoying to hear, but thankfully most of them don't come to fruition. It was refreshing to hear Antonio McDyess begrudgingly accept going to New York after wanting to go elsewhere - I think he asked his agent about working out a deal to, coincidentally, Houston and Orlando before having to give in and go to New York.

4. LakerMania

LakerMania Member

Gary Payton has a clause in his no-trade contract too that allows him to be traded to the Lakers only. And Swopa is probably right, playing in LA or NY gives you access to some serious endorsement money. For instance:

Kobe Bryant makes over twice as much in endorsments as he does with his NBA salary.

Shaq makes so much money in endorsements, that he claims he has not spent one dime of his contract money since moving to LA.

Plus you get hob-nob with all the celebs, that you grew up watching/hearing on TV, the movies, and the radio.

5. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

In defense of Baron, I think he meant the Clippers.

6. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

In the immortal words of Derrick Coleman... Well, whooptie-damn-do!

Yea, let's go hob-nob with Dyan Cannon.:rolleyes: Newsflash to Dyan - everyone knows that you're in your 60s, so your little masquerade of trying to look 30 is OVER!!

7. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

As far as Baron Davis goes, screw him we don't need a point guard.
    Go Houston!!

8. Anderlicht

Anderlicht Member

This is HIL-F'in-LARIOUS coming from the team that got Stevie Franchise in the same manner. Also Texas' tax laws helping their cause w/ free agents.

Hypocrits.

9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

IT is all about money.

Rocket River

10. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

Really Jeff, I dont' care about it that much anymore. NY and LA are going to get pub regardless of their respective records, so any stud player who wants some respect will be able to get it much easier by playing for one of those teams where they are watched on a national stage. I mean, just look at some of the stars of the league who had been ignored in large simply because they played on crappy low market teams that no one watched: SAR, McDyess, Bibby, Andre Miller... put them on playoff teams and they'd be labeled as studs, but put them on one of the media teams and they'd be labeled as studs w/o even needing to get their team into postseason, and there is the endorsements to boot.

#10 CriscoKidd, Jul 3, 2002
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2002
  11. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Yep, I'm almost as sick of that as I am of the whole "I'll only play for Phil Jackson" demand.

...and I used to like Baron Davis. And that's why you gotta feel grateful for Steve. So far he seems commited to staying in Houston to help rebuild the team, and that's after three years in the lottery. Where Baron has now been to the playoffs a couple times with some success, and he can't wait to get out of there.

#11 DCkid, Jul 3, 2002
  12. Anderlicht

Anderlicht Member

I love how Rockets fans forget how Stevie landed in their laps. Why Rashard and Cato are leaning towards the Rockets (tax purposes). How some players value Rudy T's coaching and experience and want to play for him, etc.

Hell it hurts major market teams sometimes (eg. Rick Fox is on record as saying he will retire if he is traded, thereby negating any trade value).

13. Anderlicht

Anderlicht Member

Err, I meant Clark not Cato.

Point is, Houston is close up there with LA, NY, and CHI for various reasons.

14. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Nope, didn't forget about that at all. But the point is, <b>right now</b> we have a very talented young player, who probably should be completely unhappy with playing in Houston, seeing as we have the worst attendance in the league and have yet to make it to the playoffs since he's been here. Yet, so far he has made it perfectly clear that he wants to stay in Houston. I'm just glad that Steve feels that way, and I think we should be grateful we aren't facing the same situation that the Cavs are in Cleveland and the Hornets are in New Orleans.

*knock on wood*

15. hoopgod13

hoopgod13 Contributing Member

In defense of Baron, he is from LA and went to UCLA.

Upset at Baron, dunno why the hell he wants to goto NYC.

16. Anderlicht

Anderlicht Member

Why would Baron want to goto play in the advertising capital of the world? Same reason he wants to goto LA - $.

He's smart. He knows the more money he can get resigning in NO can be easily made up and passed with lucrative endorsement deals playing in a highly visible market.

Ever watch, LA Hoops on ESPN? Or any commercial during any NBA game? Sucks but such is the nature of the business.

17. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

First of all it's "hypocrites", and it's not the same thing. Francis demanded to be traded because he didn't want to play PG in Vancouver. However he DID NOT demand to be traded to Houston, in fact he probably wanted to be traded to Washington. Houston, Detroit, and several other teams tried to get him, and it just happened that Houston outbidded Detroit for his services. And tell me, when is the last time the Rockets got a major free agent because of the tax laws? Houston wasn't even Mo's first choice so eliminate him. At least get your facts straight before ripping us.

#17 RocksMillenium, Jul 3, 2002
  18. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

A part of this thing is the thing i hate

The I'll take the million dollar exception fro LA or NY but all you others have to pay me 10 million madness that has patured the league

Rocket River

19. Anderlicht

Anderlicht Member

Rocks2k: Thanks for the spell check. I hope you have fun going thru (sp?) all the posts doing that. I was comparing the mentality more than the specific circumstance. Stevie didn't want to play for Vancouver. I thought it was because of the locale rather than the point guard issue. I can't imagine Vancouver management saying to Stevie, "Hey you've got to play PG or you can't play here." Actually I know it was because it was Canada (bad tax situation, new city he didn't even know where it was on the map, distance from friends and family, climate, marketing and advertising issues). You're wrong.

Due to that stance Houston benefited in a lopsided deal for Vancouver.

Baron doesn't want to play for NO for much of the same reasoning (plus bad management I figure). Some team will benefit from that.

"Houston, Detroit, and several other teams tried to get him, and it just happened that Houston outbidded Detroit for his services."

Same thing with Baron. If your reasoning holds, Vancouver could of traded him to Toronto and he would of been happy to go.

:rolleyes:

Rocket River: Was Baron or his agent quoted as saying this? Wow. I'd bet he goes to those teams for no less than the 4.x million exception. If you want to talk about maddness talk about Mondesi signing with the Yankees. :)

20. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

No I'm correcting your spelling just not just to do so, everybody makes mistakes spelling, but if you're going to go as far as call everybody here hypocrites I figured I might as well get a shot back in! Nothing personal. :) And Francis couldn't run the point because Mike Bibby was there, and Bibby is a pretty good PG. The deal WAS NOT lopsided. Dickerson was considered a good, young, and really talented SG, and Othella Harrington was a very good PF. Bad management and coaching, not talent, screwed up the Vancouver franchise. From what I heard he would have played in Vancouver if they would have let him run the point, but they wanted him to play shooting guard, so then he started throwing a fit. Childish? Yes. Forcing a trade? Yes. But is it the same thing? Not really, because Francis never gave a list of place he would want to play, so it's the not the same as Baron saying he wants to play in NY or LA.

<b>Same thing with Baron. If your reasoning holds, Vancouver could of traded him to Toronto and he would of been happy to go.

:rolleyes:
    </b>

Umm no, Baron is demanding to go to a particular place, Francis just wanted to get out of Vancouver because he wanted to run the point. Maybe Francis didn't want to play in Toronto, maybe he wouldn't have minded, who knows? But I guarantee that if Vancouver would have traded him to any other team in the NBA he would have accepted. It just happened that Houston got him.

#20 RocksMillenium, Jul 3, 2002