1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who is our MLE target?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockbox, Jul 10, 2018.

1. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

**More likely, the Rockets are reserving their Taxpayer MLE for Melo in order to facilitate his buyout with OKC**

2. Gorilladunks

Gorilladunks Member

Since it looks like Clint will eventually get his longterm deal. No way he rejects 18 million a year to play for the QO. He will cave or we will slightly raise the offer. MLE is probably melo so we can retain him beyond this year. Or atleast have the option too.

Really liking what Im seeing from Melton in summer league. Alot of teams really messed up by not drafting that kid

xtruroyaltyx likes this.
  3. Gorilladunks

Gorilladunks Member

Thats only going to happen if Clint accepts QO. If clint agrees longterm there just isnt a way to get below the tax this year.

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

They better be clear about the Incentives that will raise it to 90 million.

5. roslolian

roslolian Member

Or maybe because they aren't worth that much.

Ariza got paid 7M when he was younger now he is old AF why the F would you pay him more than double his old salary?

Luc was let go because we can only pay him the vet min or use the MLE whichw e are sving for Melo. Why pay melo the MLE instead of vet min? That allows you to go over the cap to retain him next year otherwise you can only pay him the MLE again which if he plays great some other team will match.

SMH ignorance is not an excuse read up on the forum first before you go off on the Rox mgt about being cheap it makes you look like a fool.

6. H-Town Melo

H-Town Melo Member

Can we make a list of "Melo isn't about winning" requirements

-He isn't about winning if he goes to Miami
    -He isn't about winning if he doesn't come off the bench
    -He isn't about winning if he takes the MLE

What else?

roslolian and bilaal14 like this.
  7. H-Town Melo

H-Town Melo Member

Lol now we're running with this. A small market team is paying 300M in salary and tax, thats why he's being moved along with the fit just not being there.

roslolian likes this.
  8. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Screw you dude. Your opinion is not the only one …. I may be totally wrong but you are wrong in calling anyone ignorant or a fool.

Just totally classless ….

9. roslolian

roslolian Member

It's not opinion, its a fact that's why you are ignorant and a fool.

You dont even know how any of this works and then blow off your mouth saying the ownership is cheap, that's just being ignorant and a fool.

You even said "Well I can't think of any reason..." no **** sherlock when you are ignorant of how bird rights work then you really wouldnt be able to think of anything now you are getting mad at me when you are the one who didnt know anything in the first place?

Just totally classless...

10. Chamillionaire

If we get Melo for the MLE, with Ennis and MCW on minimum contracts, it would be hard to say our off season was a failure.
    We don't overpay for the likes of Ariza and LMM. We didn't for Parsons and look how that worked out. TRUST Morey. The guy is a genius.

11. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Welcome to ignore.

The first person to make my ignore list , great job.

12. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

If that happens and we trade Anderson for basically anybody at all then I'm fine. The Anderson signing is the one mistake I've seen Morey make that he seems to be having difficulty correcting.

Chamillionaire likes this.
  13. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

Wayne Ellington please

Nook likes this.
  14. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

I'm simple, I see Ray Allen -- I like.
    Regardless of whether he can feasibly play or not. :D

15. jayfree

jayfree Member

Don't you mean CarMElo

16. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Thank you for posting that. I was going to reply and ask Bima that. Getting Ennis and Melo at the minimum. While using the MLE on a worthwhile player. The Rockets actually be as good or slightly better than last year. After that you only need the Warriors to have two season ending injuries. Then the Championship is for the taking.

D-rock likes this.
  17. Gorilladunks

Gorilladunks Member

You have to think beyond one season. Clutchfans loves to think in the moment and this year. If melo works out and hes on the minimum he will only be able to sign for what luc did last year and then youd have to waste your MLE on him next year as your max offer to him. You give melo most of the MLE this year. You can actually offer him 5-6 million next year and still have your MLE. He might not work out, but you have to operate as if he will for longer term planning. Cant just look at the right now. Yes he makes 28 million this year. That was his contract. Next year he is a free agent and you have to be somewhat competitve with an offer.He isnt going to play for the minimum the rest of his career. He opted in this year because he is done with large contracts and it was his last payday year. Id fully expect him to have a decent season with houston and another team offering him their 8-9 MLE non taxpayer next year. If we had an offer of 6 or so million with non bird rights that is a competitive offer for him to stay on a contender.

18. Asian Sensation

This.

I’m pro-Melo on the Rockets all the way but honestly he should take the minimum and help us use it for additional help/depth. That’s if he truly cared about us rolling out the best team possible.

A couple million extra isn’t going to change his life.

19. Gorilladunks

Gorilladunks Member

He is getting the same amount regardless, but do you want to be sble to retain him? Hes playing this year on a buyout. You have to be atleast competitive in an offer next year. You people dont look at contract rules. If melo succeeds this year do you want him back? Then do you want to waste next years mle on him? Giving it to him this year means we dont have to. If he doesnt work out we still have our mle next year. There isnt anyone guaranteed left thats going to be a good target with that mle.

20. ROXonROXonROX

ROXonROXonROX Member

I think there is more to what Morey is doing than meets the eye, I’ll explain.
    Melo taking the MLE is ok. Morey is gathering assets and small contracts so that he can easily trade them at the trade deadline. If any of our small contract players pan out it’s a win if not you include them in a bigger trade to make the numbers work.
    Rumors are that Morey is going after Nick Young. Young is a great shooter who gets got for cheap every year. Wether you like it or not the man is a champion and very playable in the playoffs because he has proven that he can guard decent enough to get playing time. (Another tradable assets for a bigger player).
    I’m the first to criticize Morey but he proves me wrong every year and at this point I can already see what he’s setting up to do.